I just can't do it...

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Luckypenguin, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    ...give up DSLRs, that is. When I got my E-P1 over a year ago, I figured it was a brilliant little camera but couldn't replace an SLR as I wanted to use it. Then this year I picked up a GH1 and a couple of m4/3 lenses, and I really started to think that here was a camera that (along with the E-P1) could replace my Canon DSLRs completely. Problem is, every time I start to think about going all m4/3, I pick up my Canon DSLR and remember why I used them for so long. Call it inertia, long-time loyalty, but I can't bring myself to dislike the size and weight of a DSLR system enough to send it packing, and there was never the slightest reason to ditch it based based on IQ, UI, and performance.

So...I guess I'm struggling to find a reason to sell something that never did anything wrong to justify selling it. I'm don't know what it will take to wean me off them, and I'm thinking that it's not going to happen anytime soon.
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Do you still use the DSLRs? If not, then you don't need them. :)

I never bothered giving up mine... I just wait until they break, then decide if it's necessary to replace them.
  3. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Canon has the cheapest lenses with great resale values. I'd keep it for some shallow DoF and portraits even if just around the house... My dad is still using Canon 300D which he bought in 2003. After over 80,000 clicks it still works like new and he has no immidiate plans to upgrade. How is that in comparison to disposable m43 cams?
  4. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Unless you have a reason to five them up (i.e. finance more gear), why give them up? Keep them and use them on those days you are feeling nostalgic!
  5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I use my GF1 for everyday stuff, literally everyday. I use my Canons for events and such. On a monthly basis, I fire off more snaps from the Canons than the Panasonic.

Tonight, I used both Canon and Panasonic at a nighttime, Jazz Festival in Brea. The Electronic Viewfinder drove me crazy in the low light.

6. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Hmmm, I've actually become oddly attached to my GH2, which is odd, considering Panasonic aren't really an... emotional brand?

I dunno, it is mine and I like it and we go on adventures and take pretty photos together :smile:
  7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Having such a relationship in the United States would be cause for arrest.
  8. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I think for me it is partly perception. My m4/3 cameras I've only used for knocking about around home, yet I consider my Canons as my travel cameras since that is where I used them most. It is not so much about system capability, it's about familiarity. My 50D automatically feels right when I go to use it. Of course I love my m4/3 gear but I still don't feel quite the same level of trust nor feel as confident yet with the menus and controls.
  9. timallenphoto

timallenphoto Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    It's 'horses for courses'. I've barely touched my 5D since buying my Pen, however, I'm about to start shooting at night again and for this I'd be insane to use anything other than the 5D. Even though it's an old Mk1 the IQ is still amazing, whereas at ISO1600 my Pen IQ is horrendous and will only be used during the day. In fact, the 85mm f1.8 is calling out to me once more, time to spend some cash I think!
  10. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    But Ned, this is a Canon, man. How long do you expect me to wait before it breaks :smile:

(touching wood as I am typing this...)
  11. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Been there done that ;-) and for me the reason enough was that I had over USD 6000 and 20 pounds sitting unused in a big Domke bag and I felt I can't afford that. So it was all about the limited resources ;-)
  12. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Main reason I gave up on the Nikon D300s was AF. I got sick and tired of the variability of focus accuracy using a 35/1.8 even after fine-tuning. And for some zoom lenses I couldn't even find a suitable fine-tune setting. Now with the G1 and GH2 I never have focussing issues, period. Agreed, action shooting is not a strong point of mirrorless cameras but I can live with that, when necessary I prefocus like I did with my film cameras.
  13. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    I can totally understand where you're coming from - as much as I love my m43, I wish I could afford a D-SLR system to run alongside it. If it's a case of one or the other (like myself), I'll take m43 every time, but having the option of both would be nice.....
  14. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I certainly understand your situation. I never had a DSLR because I couldn't justify the expense. I wasn't a photographer. Now that I've had a couple m4/3 cams and have been shooting for a couple years I am seeing the limitations. I won't call myself a photographer yet, but I think I'm getting good enough to see the intrinsic limitations of the system.

I still don't know if I can justify the expense of an additional system and I won't choose to give up these smaller, better-looking cameras. But I'd love to be able to more easily shoot action and have a usable ISO1600 (not to mention 3200 and 6400!).

I say keep your DSLR (unless you're selling it to me for a song). Come on Panasonic and Olympus.....give us a reason to quit DSLRs.
  15. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I've wrestled with this.

I have a Canon 40D with a battery grip. I picked it up last night because my Oly wasn't close by and I needed to get a shot - it felt huge and heavy but it nailed the shots in low light (50mm f1.8). I don't use it often, but if I was going to shoot Sr. pics or help out at a wedding I would grab the Canon in a heartbeat. Much as I love the E-P1 I still think of it as a back up, good for every day but not for those "gotta get it right" shots.
    I suppose it's just a state of mind - but I'm hanging on to my 40D. Now I just need to decide if I should keep the E-Pl1 along with the E-P1. :tongue:
  16. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    If you have no reason to give it p, then don't.

I chose to give up my 5D and have only my M4/3 and a few lenses. In this case the driver was my photography. I wanted to shoot more, more often, in a greater variety of places. I wanted to push myself to experiment and grow. By limiting myself to one camera and a few lenses I began to see things differently, and shoot differently. I chose to keep the smaller gear because I can take it everywhere with ease. By restricting myself this way, I never had any hesitation about which camera to take.

The IQ is good enough for fairly large prints, and I am happy with my decision.

I also kept in mind that as I explore my photography again (after 20+ years I had felt my output was stale) and discover new thins, I can always add another system.

This has been very good for my photography. I am very happy with the decision.

I would add though, that the 5D (and the excellent lenses I had) was wonderful, and I miss it's output.
  17. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

For low-light, I'm surprised no one is mentioning the GH2. From what I can see it hangs tough with the Canons/Nikons at 3200. At 6400, it's still comparable especially looking at the raws side-by-side. The GH2 may have more chroma noise, but that just could be the sensor having juicier color over-all than the APS-C sensors.

Take a peek at Panasonic DMC-GH2 Review: 19. Compared to (Higher ISO): Digital Photography Review, slide the "viewbox" around. The GH2 has a pretty darned good sensor.
  18. NaturalWoman

NaturalWoman Mu-43 Regular

Sep 8, 2011
    new jersey
    i got rid of my e30, but kept my e1. i won't be carrying the e1 around at all or much, but when i can take it with me and want that dslr feel, it's there. an outdated body with 1 decent piece of glass or two. ;)
  19. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    My GH2 keeps whispering in my ear, "Leave her. We could have such a happy life together. We could move to Toledo. Or Wichita." But I won't. I've got to think about the lenses.
  20. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    With fiveDmkII I where always expecting more than it managed to deliver. Partly, because you where looking the results through TV or laptop monitor. So at the end I felt I couldn’t use the part of the quality that went “over the full HD 46-inch TV”

Have you thought about that from that perspective?

With m43 I can see the same quality trough my TV and I feel I’ve given up all that extra I couldn’t see.

Because of that I carry my equipment more often and get pictures I never got before.