I just can’t decide…

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by RenaudVL, Oct 13, 2011.

1. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 21, 2011
    I just can’t decide…

I want a second body, I really like my E-P2, tried to sell it and could not accept the ridiculous price that these cameras are going for these days. So I decided to keep it and have no regrets.

Now I went to my favourite camera store yesterday, Henrys in Ottawa, and could not decide.

Does the IQ difference worth the extra $$$, from what I understand the biggest issue with the E-P3 and E-PL3 is that it has the same dated sensor (according to DPreview). OK it has new features, but is the IQ that better. Where I am uncertain is that I can get a used E-P2 for about $300, the price that I was not prepare to sell mine for….

Users that used both cameras, E-P2 vs E-P3, please comment…

Thanks and sorry if this was discussed before

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If image quality of the E-P2 is your main concern, have you consdered the E-PL2? It is the biggest jump in IQ since the EP-2, though the E-P3 has improved on it yet a little bit more. I'm sure you could pick up an E-PL2 for as cheap as an E-P2.

3. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
  4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I have both the E-P3 and E-P2 and I think the biggest, noticeable improvements on the new body are the AF speed, operational speed (e.g. filters), screen size/resolution and built-in flash.

I know there is a difference on IQ with the newer Oly bodies having a lighter AA filter, which results in sharper images, but I do not see a difference at *my* normal viewing (have not pixel peeped).

As Ned mentioned, the E-PL2 may be a good compromise between the E-P2 and E-P3, a sort of middle ground. I would also suggest E-PM1 based on its price, if you can deal with the interface.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.