1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I just can’t decide…

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by RenaudVL, Oct 13, 2011.

1. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    I just can’t decide…

I want a second body, I really like my E-P2, tried to sell it and could not accept the ridiculous price that these cameras are going for these days. So I decided to keep it and have no regrets.

Now I went to my favourite camera store yesterday, Henrys in Ottawa, and could not decide.

Does the IQ difference worth the extra $$$, from what I understand the biggest issue with the E-P3 and E-PL3 is that it has the same dated sensor (according to DPreview). OK it has new features, but is the IQ that better. Where I am uncertain is that I can get a used E-P2 for about $300, the price that I was not prepare to sell mine for….

Users that used both cameras, E-P2 vs E-P3, please comment…

Thanks and sorry if this was discussed before

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If image quality of the E-P2 is your main concern, have you consdered the E-PL2? It is the biggest jump in IQ since the EP-2, though the E-P3 has improved on it yet a little bit more. I'm sure you could pick up an E-PL2 for as cheap as an E-P2.

3. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
  4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I have both the E-P3 and E-P2 and I think the biggest, noticeable improvements on the new body are the AF speed, operational speed (e.g. filters), screen size/resolution and built-in flash.

I know there is a difference on IQ with the newer Oly bodies having a lighter AA filter, which results in sharper images, but I do not see a difference at *my* normal viewing (have not pixel peeped).

As Ned mentioned, the E-PL2 may be a good compromise between the E-P2 and E-P3, a sort of middle ground. I would also suggest E-PM1 based on its price, if you can deal with the interface.