I just bit the bullet and ordered myself a GF-1!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Mungozan, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Mungozan

Mungozan Mu-43 Rookie

May 31, 2010
    Jyväskylä, Finland
    So, I finally bit the bullet and ordered myself a Panasonic GF-1 w. 20mm f/1.7 lens (and adapter for manual lenses)!

I was visiting a larger town monday and there was this store that had all three contestants on display: Panasonic Gf-1, Olympus E-P2 and Olympus E-PL1. The deciding factors were price, better autofocus on GF-1 and the fact that I liked the ergonomics of Panasonic the most. I actually disliked the way the two Olympus cameras worked, although this might well change if used a bit more..

I got a sweet deal on the Panasonic on other store, so I finally placed an order today. Too bad I have to wait until monday to get the new camera.. I mean really: I can´t wait!

It´s going to be a long weekend, I´m sure. Kind of like a kid waiting for Christmas..

I´ll promise to post that mandatory kitty-picture the first thing after I get the camera.. I mean, it´s got to be the first thing to do on this forum as well ;-)

• Like Like x 5
  2. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Yes, it's going to be a brutal weekend. Hang in there.

Congratulations on your purchase. I have been very happy with my GF1 (and 20, 14-45 lenses) from the start, but the happiness is growing.
  3. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Congrats on the purchase! The GF1 is a very nice camera. I just ordered myself an e-pl1 at the beginning of the week, which will arrive today! I think in the case of the e-pl1 an in-store test might not give the camera the credit it deserves. Of all I have read it is quite customizable, which I am looking forward to playing with and setting it up. Granted, if you weren't impressed on first handling, it might be tough to change your impression! (I have also held it briefly and thought it handled nicely). Enjoy the GF1 when it arrives!
  4. Spaceghost33

Spaceghost33 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Christopher Stelter

You'll love it! I have the GF1 w/ pancake lens (and misc. adapters for legacy glass). I opted for a Squinno half-leather case which really helps with holding the camera (I have pretty large hands) it also gives the camera that old Leica rangefinder feel. I also opted for the Domke 1.5" web camera strap. The supplied GF1 strap just wasn't wide or long enough for me. Enjoy! We'll be looking forward to seeing some pictures after the camera arrives.:smile:
  5. Stephen Geis

Stephen Geis Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2010
    Charlotte, NC

Welcome to the m4/3'rds world! Agree with your assesment - Monday's going to seem like it takes years to finally arrive ...

... but as a GF1 user since January 2010, I can attest that you won't be disappointed ... nor would you have been if you went the Olympus route either ...

6. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Hi welcome here. Congratulations on your new camera.
  7. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
    You are going to just love this camera. I bought my GF1 with the 14-45mm lens because the 20mm kit was not available at the time. I have since purchased the 20mm and because I have had a computer problem (now fixed. bad connection inside the computer) I have not been able to work on my pictures taken with the 20mm lens. I do have several galleries on line taken with the 14-45 though. They each end with them 4/3 tag after the name. I am also teaching myself LR and that has taken me out of turning out as much work as I first did, when I brought the GF1 home. Anyway, you have made a great choice, but I really don't think we have a bad choice here.

8. Mungozan

Mungozan Mu-43 Rookie

May 31, 2010
    Jyväskylä, Finland
    Thanks for the kind words, I just wish it was monday already ;-)
  9. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

The countdown has begun! I'll be looking forward to your "kitty" picture - and more.:biggrin:
  10. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
  11. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

G'day Mungozan and welcome to the forum. You'll like the GF1 and especially the little 20mm lens.

Here is another teaser and the review that made me want the camera really bad. I bought my camera over the phone and i had to wait 4 days for it to arrive and each time I read this review the suspense was killing me.

Panasonic Lumix GF1 Field Test — 16 Days in the Himalayas

12. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Oh my...you just made a BIG mistake! You ordered that stupid Panny GF1...oh man.....
    Listen, the difference between that and The OLY Pens is...nothing....
    Man, that GF1 will now make you forget all your other cameras....oh yeah, I've seen it happen...than ya know what....
    All the sudden ya need more time to make photos...yeah, ain't that something....and then when your home sitting back relaxing, sipping a brew...
    your eyes keep looking at it and well...ya feel this kinda excitement in side...

Geeze...you bought one of those things.....oh man...your in for it now...and
    don't listen to anyone anywhere...the Pen has the same problems......

well, anyway, I wish I coulda warned ya but it's far too late...join the crowd around here...
    we're all in the same boat....... Bummer huh.....?
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Mungozan

Mungozan Mu-43 Rookie

May 31, 2010
    Jyväskylä, Finland
    Thanks for the link

That was actually on thing I read earlier and made me really want GF-1 :biggrin:
    Better not read it now, though, or the suspense will kill me too :smile:
  14. Mungozan

Mungozan Mu-43 Rookie

May 31, 2010
    Jyväskylä, Finland
    Got a bit scared there..

Then I realized I guess I´m in it, real deep.. Boy, do I wait for monday..
  15. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran

You've gotten yourself a wonderful piece of kit! Roll on Monday.
  16. chowngan

chowngan New to Mu-43

May 19, 2010
    Klang, Malaysia
    What is 4 days.....it is just 3 tomorrow waits away. I bought mind second hand through e-bay all the way from US to Malaysia.....and have to wait for 14 days to enjoy it. Lucky that I choose GF1 instead of D90. Love the sizes and its capabilities. Imaging putting my GF1 inside my working bag which I don't think I will be able with the D90. And photo wise, super.......
    • Like Like x 1
  17. andyw

andyw Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK
    I had a GF1 and sold it (stupid stupid stupid!) I really missed it so I have bought another with the 20mm f1.7 lens and I must say it's SO good to be back. The Oly cameras are really good but the Panasonic ones really are something special.

It's now Tuesday so let's see some piccies!:biggrin:
  18. Mungozan

Mungozan Mu-43 Rookie

May 31, 2010
    Jyväskylä, Finland
    It feels like a special cam, I already like it a lot.. On this thread are the first two pics I´ve taken with GF-1:

More to follow soon :biggrin: