I jealous some long exposure photos. i need some filters !!!

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by PantelisMor, Feb 14, 2016.

1. PantelisMor

PantelisMor Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2013
    Hi guys,

I see many times Landscape photos. I jealous long exposure photos. I had bought a Haida ND3.0 1000x. I think in cases like Sunrises isn't appropriate this Filter. I am thinking to buy another ND filter And One GND.
    First i don't khow if i had to buy round or square ??
    Can someone post the pros and cons to the two different type and why buy one over the other. I see that the square are much more expensive than the round.

For the moment i will buy a ND and One GND.
    I use OMD EM1 with OLY 12-40 2.8.. But in the future i will buy Oly 7-14 2.8

Finally i post some failed photos i shot with Haida ND3.0 1000x.
    PMoromalos_20160131_0025.JPG PMoromalos_20160131_0031.JPG PMoromalos_20160131_0035.JPG
  2. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Reza Travilla
    buy square if someday you want to invest on 7-14mm and i think you will need GND soft 0.9 since the sky details kinda wash out. Play live composite features on EM1 is a great helpful for long exposure.
  3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Something is quite wrong with those shots, I don't think the darkness of ND 3.0 is the problem. Two of them are simply overexposed, but the biggest problem is that there are severe reflections and what looks to be water drops in semi-focus in the optical path.

Where you using screw in or square filters? Did you stack filters? With heavy NDs you really need to make sure that there are no reflections or light leaks. It's easier to do with circular as they are slim, close to the front element and should be light tight. With square filters you need light gaskets etc on the filter holder, often a separate filter hood, and make sure you get oversized filters.
    • Like Like x 1