1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I hope you're all proud of yourselves.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Promit, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    CNN Fires Editors & Photojournalists Because Amateurs Will Work for Free
    All those beautiful photos you are taking put those 'serious' photogs out of a job!

Seriously though, what role do pro photo-journos have in an age where news is increasingly instant and dominated by smartphones and the like with instant upload across the world? What is the point of carrying a D700 halfway around the world when the guy with an iPhone beat you to the scoop by an hour?

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
  3. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    My sister made almost $1000 for a few photos she took on her iPhone of the Slave lake fires last year. They still pay for the photos, just not dedicated photographers

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I have always been wary and disdainful of this "user generated content" employed by news media, and this is exactly why.

5. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    And this is why news coverage (in Australia anyway) is in a rapid downward spiral.

Case in point - the Norwegian 'terror' attacks which were reported within an hour of happening as the work of Islamic extremists by more than one Australian news website.

Tech may allow us to broadcast quicker, but it doesn't in any way replace thorough, considered journalism.

6. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    The blog post title is somewhat misleading. What CNN said was:

"Technology investments in our newsrooms now allow more desk-top editing and publishing for broadcast and online. This evolution allows more people in more places to edit and publish than ever before. As a result of these technology and workflow changes, CNN is reducing the number of media editors in our work force in Atlanta."

So what they're finally admitting is that conventional news organizations are becoming extinct as there are many alternative sources of news these days. To survive, they are having to slash costs, which includes laying off photojournos.

It's sad to see because the quality of published photos will likely go down, but it's inevitable when the emphasis on profits begins to trump all else. :frown: I'm glad I don't make my living in photojournalism.

7. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    This is what I was thinking about when we were discussing SOPA in the 'American Censorship Day' thread. Media professionals need to understand that their biggest enemy is not piracy, but the disruption of past content creation and consumption models. For example, I don't make living by photography and sometimes publish my photos under the Creative Commons Attribution license (for use on Wikipedia). I know of some travel guides that use my photos taken in various Ukrainian cities. I suspect it means that some professional photographer didn't get this job.