I have yet to master focusing with the E-PL1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by isabel95, Jun 28, 2011.

1. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sure, I've taken some fantastic pictures with the E-PL1 and have ways around the quirky focusing options, but I can't get that darned focus box to stay centered so I can lock focus and recompose.

In the custom menu I have chosen spot focus and autofocus with manual enabled.

Can someone please set me straight about making that focus box stay put?

(Despite the focusing problem, I have put a lot of effort into learning this camera and include it among my favorites - or probably favorite at this moment because of the fantastic jpgs straight out of the camera although I shoot both raw and jpg.)

TIA.

Isabel

2. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Are you saying that the AF box keeps moving around the screen while you are half pressing the shutter button? Or that the box locks onto something other than what you originally was focusing on? Or perhaps something else altogether?

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    What do you mean by spot focus, do you have a single-point chosen? And if so, is it the center point? Do you have Face Detect on?

4. isabel95

It locks on something not where I want it to...

There's a circle and a square and it locks on what the square intersects. I'm assuming it may be looking for a point of contrast.

Isabel

5. isabel95

Yes...I have single spot chosen...

and no face detect chosen.

Isabel

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If it's looking for other points of contrast, then it's definitely not on single-point focus. It needs to be on a grid of focus points to choose any point but one.

Try going to the main menu, down to the sprocket menu, and to AF/MF, then choose AF Area, and bring it down to the second option that looks like [.]
    Then move to the right and choose the center box.

After you've chosen your single-point focus, you can then change which focus box is used by pressing the [...] button on the camera.

PS, are you sure you didn't choose Spot Metering, instead of spot focus? There is no "spot focus" option, only single-point focus. Spot metering is a good way to go, but can be finicky because it's such a small area which can pick up a strong highlight and shadow, throwing off your metering. I prefer Center-Weighted, which gives a somewhat broader area to meter off of and is more consistent.

• Like Like x 2
  7. isabel95

You've hit the nail on the head!....

Even though I had chosen spot focus I hadn't pressed the right arrow in the custom menu to select that center point...it was selected one point to the left! (I had used the small box from the magnify tool to set the center point.)

Thanks for picking up on that! This is going to greatly simplify my life.

Isabel

8. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Good job Ned!

9. isabel95

I'll second that!

thanks, Ned.
    Isabel