I have seen beauty in a lens...

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Jman, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    ...and its name is f/0.95:
    f095.

Got the Nokton 17.5mm f/0.95 in for evaluation. I'll have it until next Wednesday. This could be bad. I've wanted to test this lens for a while, but I thought 'it's only manual, and it's expensive, and I really don't need it.' And I'm quickly falling in love. This thing is awesome. Beautifully built, heavy for a m4/3 lens, but smaller than I thought it would be. Relatively easy to focus, and while there is plenty of LoCA at f/0.95, it's really the only flaw at that aperture. It is DARN sharp at f/0.95. In fact, given the aperture, it's amazingly sharp. Stopped down, it's absolutely tack sharp corner to corner. This one's going to hurt to send back. Only got to shoot with it for about 45 minutes today, but I like.

Some samples. I believe all of these are wide open at f/0.95. I did take plenty at f/1.4, f/2 and even further down,but that's not the exciting part of this lens (ok, how sharp it is in the corners stopped down is pretty exciting)...but still

nokton_griffin.

nokton_lock.

chloe_lipstick.

nokton_post.

100% crop of above (remember, this is at f/0.95):
    nokton_post_crop.

chloe_mirror.

nokton_immigrants.

And, it focuses REALLY closely (6"):
    nokton_flower.

• Like Like x 10
  2. Luc

Luc Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 30, 2012
    sydney
    thanks for sharing the shots. Lovely illustration of what the lens can do.

3. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Good to hear from you again Jordan. That focal length I don't really like but you've produced some nice images here.

4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    If it was AF, I'd be sorely tempted.