I have Photographisis... Infected for A Year!

SCT

Mu-43 Regular
So, it all started when I first got a cell phone that had a camera... Roughly about 2005 I think. Taking pictures wasn't really a big thing for me then. Hardly ever used the camera that was on the phone. I would usually borrow my dads Nikon SLR to auto shows, that's it. Then it just grew on me. I found myself slowly using the camera on my phone more and more. Taking pictures of friends, odd stuff, random. Then I bought myself a point and shoot by 2007 because I was seeking better pictures and the ability to share them. Year after year, more and more pictures.... of anything! Roadkills while driving, museums, I literally started carrying my P&S everywhere now like my cell phone. Come 2010, it was just one night where I looked over pictures I took. Just sat in front of my laptop and thought about it. Then started looking for bigger, better cameras because now I seeked even better quality. I didn't have enough funds. Then by October 20, 2010, I said screw it and bought myself a birthday gift (my current EPL1). My birthday being October 27. At that point, in my mind this EPL1 was going to be used sparingly. The P&S would be the one I carry everywhere, my EPL1 for special occasions. So I didn't think it would become an expensive hobby which is how all my other current hobbies turned out. Should've known better.

Besides better photography skills that I have acquired which is the only part of this hobby that has been free (except entrance fees or gas when I go places)....

I now have 8 legacy lenses, 3 native lenses, and a Minolta SRT100 which I haven't gotten around to use yet. And I can't forget the accessories I have bought so far, the VF2, bellows... all these stuff I list in my signature. Not sure if that's a good thing or not.

When I bought my EPL1, I thought at most I was going to spend was maybe $700 more or less. I was wrong.

I just received my eighth lens today which is a Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 2.8/50 No.350xxxx which has 14 aperature blades. Is that rare? I am now awaiting on a Koni 50 1.7, Koni 200mm and a Tokina 500mm.

If you don't see how bad this has become... the date that it says in my profile here, my join date. Well, mu-43 is where I got full blown infected. Before I joined, I thought the m43 cameras only took m43 lenses which are more costly. Then I joined here simply just wanting to learn more. Apparently I got what I wanted and learned that lens made during as far back as the Jurassic period can be used on the m43 with a $20 adapter. And everyone knows legacy lenses are more affordable than brand new native lenses AND the performance is greater (IMO at least). Look what happend!

So.... even though 3 days has passed. It's my one year anniversary of being infected.

Don't get me wrong though. I'm not disappointed or anywhere near. I'm as happy as a kid in a toy store that also sells candy and then some. I wish I only knew what will be the cause of my demise :smile:

And yes, I was re-evaluating myself on what I've done so far and how can I do better the next day when I thought about and wrote this. Then the next. Then the next...

addieleman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Ad
Well yes, that's a serious condition :frown:. At least you seem to enjoy the symptoms of this fatal disease (you'll die before there's a cure) which helps to endure the annoyance of an empty wallet. And Minolta lenses are in the majority in your legacy lens line-up :2thumbs:.

SCT

Mu-43 Regular
And Minolta lenses are in the majority in your legacy lens line-up :2thumbs:.

Yea.... about that. I heard a lot of good things about Minolta. Then with further research which only lasted less than an hour at 3am, I am now seeking to collect Minolta Rokkors.

addieleman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Ad
I collect Minolta lenses for half a year now and I follow the advise of another collector: specialize, you can't collect everything of a brand, let alone of more brands. So I focussed (pun intended) on Minolta 28mm lenses and this collection is nearing completion, only a few models are missing. If you look at my total collection (signature) you'll see that I didn't manage to avoid buying other lenses too :redface:.

Collecting is fun, browsing through eBay and local auction sites, visiting fairs, photographing your finds, reading everything on Minolta, etc. etc. And I just love to have a lens in my hand, something I suffer from from my early childhood: my dad was a camera repairman in his spare time.

SCT

Mu-43 Regular
I collect Minolta lenses for half a year now and I follow the advise of another collector: specialize, you can't collect everything of a brand, let alone of more brands. So I focussed (pun intended) on Minolta 28mm lenses and this collection is nearing completion, only a few models are missing. If you look at my total collection (signature) you'll see that I didn't manage to avoid buying ohter lenses too :redface:.

Collecting is fun, browsing through eBay and local auction sites, visiting fairs, photographing your finds, reading everything on Minolta, etc. etc. And I just love to have a lens in my hand, something I suffer from from my early childhood: my dad was a camera repairman in his spare time.

Definately, I agree on everything. Collecting is fun! And I somehow grow a sentimental value on the lenses I buy. I would never sell any that I have right now unless I died. The fun and time I spent looking for them. Then to think what purposes that lense may have served to its previous owners and what that lense has seen...

I mostly check here and mflenses forum for various lenses I find myself interested in. Occasionally I go out to pawn shops and various other stores and yard sales looking for lenses as well.

And you actually have a history to justify your love for those lenses, or photography. For me, it's just me, simply how I am with stuff. Which is why every hobby I get into, no matter what it is, ends up being a large expense.

RT_Panther

Mu-43 Legend
You're still curable though.

When you revert to film & develop it yourself, then you're terminal :wink:

elandel

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hello, welcome to the club. I think we're many with this decease. Well I'm also like you: everything I start turns out to be money killing, but I'm happy the same. I know it could seem foolish for someone external to thyis hobby, but for us it's like feeling alive.
And in any case better this one than being an alchoolist:smile:

SCT

Mu-43 Regular
Yea, photography is like my main reason to take more trips now. I'm actually planning on dedicating my two day weekends for one nighter trips. Solely to take pictures.... And see the world, at least the 300 miles radius of it around me.

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
Call the W.H.O.. Call the Center for Disease Control in Atlanta. There is no cure for the photograpisis bug.

Often the photographisis bug is accompanied by further complications, GAS (Gear acquisition Syndrome).

You seem to have a full blown case of both. While there is no cure, hanging around here, in the "Contagion Ward", of the Photographisis and GAS epidemic probably isn't going to help.

The entire ward is filled with enablers.

Hey, have another drink, go ahead, sure. One more can't hurt can it?

SCT

Mu-43 Regular
Just to update... I haven't gotten better :smile:

My Konica Hexanon AR 200mm f/4 got to me today, the Tokina 500mm Mirror yesterday. The Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.7 is one post office away. And I just now paid for an Accura Fisheye lense from eBay.... the fishy should be cool.

Latest threads

Top Bottom