1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I have Pancake overload!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Jonathan F/2, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I am now in the possession of the 14mm, 17mm and the 20mm! I'm trying to decide which to keep, but the problem is, I like them all!

I like the 14mm, because of the 3 pancakes it's the only one with real silent focus and the ability to shoot continuous AF burst which comes in handy for street shooting and video, but 28mm is a little too wide for my style of shooting.

I also like the 17mm, because it's a 35mm equivalent and that's my all time favorite walk-around focal length and probably has the best color saturation of the 3. It's also the silver chrome version and it looks the most sexiest on my black G3! Though, it's the slowest aperture, slowest to focust and most noisiest of the three lenses.

I also like the 20mm, because it's the fastest and sharpest of the bunch making it the go to lens in low light, but sometimes the 40mm equivalent focal length is a tad too long for my taste!

I can't decide which to keep and which to sell? My ideal lens would be a 17mm focal length with the the silent/continuous AF of the 14, but with the f1.7 aperture of the 20mm! I also have a guy selling me a minty 14-45 for dirt cheap and I was thinking of adding that lens to my kit as well.

I could keep all 3, but I also have a 100-300 coming and I was thinking of adding that 14-45. But I really want to keep to 3 lenses max. My m43 investment got from being a curiosity to a full blown kit investment!

Opinions welcome!

2. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    Do you shoot with oly or panny?

If you have Oly and IBIS, you might want to just keep all three. If you have a panasonic, then probably just keep the 20 and the 14 since they are faster, and use the OIS of your 14-42.

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I've got no answer for you, lol! All your reasons are quite legit.

What you REALLY want is a fast and silent focusing f/2.0 or 1.8 17mm!!!

And that smoking smell??? That's the whole in your pocket burning bigger. See my list below, lol. And the mZD45 and PL25 are both in bound!

4. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Exactly, if Olympus just updated the 17mm, gave it silent focus and made it an f2 I'd so dump all the 3 lenses!

The other problem, I shoot professionally and I have a full blown Nikon kit already. M43 was supposed to be my leisure/travel kit and now it's gone way over my intended budget!

5. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    You owe it to yourself to get the 12mm f2.0!

6. kahren

kahren Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2010
    no, that would be a 17mm 1.4 :)
    or maybe a 15mm 1.4, then you can shoot 3:2 and still get 35mm FF fov

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    If the 14mm is too wide for the OP, then the 12 is certainly too wide, unless, as Kahren mentions, you want to maybe shoot 1:1 format :) (or crop in post)

8. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Definitely keep the 20mm. You'll want that f/1.7.

9. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    I say, if you like them all equally, then sell the 14 and 20, because they'll fetch enough to pay for your new 100-300, while the 17 is almost certainly worth more as a lens than the meager amount people will pay for it. Just my 2 cents!

10. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    I would keep all three, because one cannot have too many lenses.

• Like Like x 2
  11. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    I just want the OP to spend more money!

More seriously, I had the 17 and the 20 and though I prefer the view of the 17, the CA was too much for some of the things I shoot and I kept the 20. So if the OP sells the 17, he can add another lens and still keep to his trio of lenses.

12. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    definitely sell the 14....it's no better than the 14 end of your 14-45. Keep the 20 because it rules. The 17mm I could go either way.....for me, I might just keep it for the sexy factor. ANd it's not really worth enough to part with it.

13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Pictor, are you getting GAS again?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Decided to sell the 20. The 17mm FOV for me is better, plus it looks better on my black G3! :biggrin:

15. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    No. I have already got GAS again. :redface:

16. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I need to try my 17mm v 20mm and decide which to keep!

17. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think the 20mm is a better lens, but I think 17mm is a better compromise as an all-around lens. If Olympus made another 17mm and made it f/2, then that would be perfect. Anyways, I kept the 17mm because the G3 high ISO is much better than any other m43 camera and I can shoot it at 1600 ISO no problem. Plus I think all these pancakes distort, so I don't see the issue that people have with the 17mm distortion. The 17mm to my eye has better colors compared to the Panasonic pancakes.

Saying that, I've decided to sell all my lenses and just keep the G3 & 17mm! I'll probably get the 45mm 1.8 when it's released though. I think those 2 lenses will be good.

18. aznick

aznick Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2010
    Arizona USA
    I'm with pictor.
    As the saying goes, "You can't ever be too rich, too thin or have too many lenses"

19. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Kind of academic at this point, but this has never been my experience. I have all three also (plus, now the 12, but that's not a pancake). While the 17 clearly has the slowest aperture, I always found it right between the others in terms of noise and AF speed. The 20 is the slowest to focus and makes the most noise, the 17 is notably faster and nearly silent. And the 14 is a bit faster still and dead silent. I never thought of focus speed or noise as downsides of the17, at ALL!

-Ray

20. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well, at the end of the day I kept the 17mm. To be honest, I really like how it renders colors. It feels more vivid to my eye. and it's a good compromise in terms of focal length. My only concern is that it's a bit noisy when focusing and it's more noticeable when shooting video. I guess if I do video with the lens, I'll have to consciously switch it to MF to keep noise down. The 14mm is better as a video lens in that regard.