I have just bought the Olympus 60 mm f 2.8 macro lens an finding 1 to 1 difficult

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Michael Sans, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Michael Sans

Michael Sans Mu-43 Regular

Oct 6, 2016
    Michael John Sansom
    Hi all you marco shooters, I have just bought the 60mm f2.8 macro lens and i'm finding it difficult to get it to shoot 1to1 it seem the setting springs back to 0.19 to 0..4m. am I missing something. help please?
    regards

Mike

2. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    It's rather stupidly implemented and confusing. You have to turn and hold the dial at 1:1. Unless someone's figured out a hack.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Michael Sans

Oct 6, 2016
    Michael John Sansom
    Thanks Wisertime,

If its the way it works then small it of gaffer tape will hold the 1 to 1 position. I wonder what the thinking was/is behind this way to do things it seems rather eccentric to me.

Cheers

Mike

4. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Couldn't agree more. I'm no macro expert, but seems very a odd choice.

5. mesmerized

mesmerized Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    Does it mean that unless you keep holding the switch all the time at 1:1, you won't be able to take 1:1 pics?

6. steveadams

steveadams Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2016
    South Georgia
    Steve Adams
    Do you have the camera in manual focus? If you're in manual focus and hit the 1:1 spring loaded switch, then the indicator should go to the 1:1 position. Since the DOF is so small at 1:1, any type of auto focus will bring it out of that position. Me personally, I don't see it as a big deal if it comes out of that position, I'm more concerned about a good sharp photo rather than the exact ratio.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Michael Sans

Oct 6, 2016
    Michael John Sansom
    Yes because it spring loaded, unless, far as I can tell, its held with gaffer tape. On second thoughts gaffer leaves residue. I've just used scotch clear tape which is non residue and it holds to 1 to 1,

but then it seems fixed focus well at lease in manual mode makes no effect on focus,one has to move the lense backwards and forwards . Could someone use the the same techniques and confirm my finding please ? BTW it seems to need a lot of light to focus in auto mode.

8. mesmerized

mesmerized Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    I don't get it... Why would the lens offer a 1:1 switch if you can't actually... switch it on?

9. steveadams

steveadams Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2016
    South Georgia
    Steve Adams
    The tape is not needed, and I would not recommend doing it, you're liable to burn out a motor and drain your battery.

You need to understand the lens. It can act as a normal 60 mm lens or a macro lens. The switch has 4 positions, The first one (.4 m to infinity) allows it to act as normal 60 mm lens, the second position (.9 m to infinity) allows it to act like a close range 60 mm lens, the third position (0.19-0.4 m) allows it to act as a macro lens. For convenience, it has a spring loaded position labeled "1:1" that zooms the lens and focus to that perfect ratio for a true macro. From there, you move the camera to focus on the subject or you can do as I do and go to S-AF auto focus and let the camera focus itself without moving the camera and possibly scaring your subject away. However, this may bring it out of the 1:1 focus range.

Some people are idealist and insist a "macro" picture must be at a 1:1 ratio. So Olympus tries to satisfy them with this switch. This position also comes in handy when you are in auto focus and the lens keeps hunting for a focus (typically because you're out of the focal range). It gives you a chance to bring the lens to its closest focus range and start again.

• Agree x 16
    • Informative x 8
    • Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Useful x 1
  10. Michael Sans

Oct 6, 2016
    Michael John Sansom
    Thanks Steveadams,

You have given me the answer of how it works. In manual mode flip the switch to 1 to 1 and it stays in 1 to 1. in auto mode it doesn't . I agree with you on sharp images, but I want to get closeup of insects dead ones a first but it seems focus stacking is out at one to one so it will have to be auto focus without 1 to 1.
    Thanks you have saved me a lot of time.
    Cheers
    Mike

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. steveadams

steveadams Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2016
    South Georgia
    Steve Adams
    I've done focus stacking with this lens and it works good, although you have to let the camera internally focus which will bring it out of the true 1:1 ratio at the end of the focus stacking shots.

Focus stacking wants you to focus on the closest part of the subject first. This is where the spring loaded 1:1 position and manual focus help you. This sets the camera to its closest focus so now you can move the camera to focus on the closest part of the subject. Now go back to autofocus and let the camera do its focus stacking routine.

Glad I was able to help.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  12. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    What I do is set the lens to 1:1 in autofocus then I move the camera back and forth until I have my subject in focus, then I press the shutter - the camera will lock focus and I can take the shoot with minimal hunting. That way I may not get 1:1 exactly every time e.g. if you handhold the camera a little movement will reduce the ratio, but I am sure to get focus. This works for me, at least in principle, sometimes it focuses on the wrong part, but I get more keepers.

• Agree Agree x 5
  13. Debbie.Cato

Debbie.Cato Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2016
    I've always shot macro in manual focus and move camera back and forth to achieve focus - thus the reason macro rails were developed.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 5
  14. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That's because auto focus, by design, adjusts focus. The 1:1 switch moves it to 1:1 point of focus, but if your camera autofocuses again it will move it from there. So, yes, to fix it to 1:1, you need to switch to manual focus.

And the 1:1 isn't a set position on the dial. It always flips back to the previous focal range after you flip it to 1:1. That's normal. Just go into manual focus and then flip it to 1:1 and let go.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Michael Sans

Oct 6, 2016
    Michael John Sansom
    Dear All,
    Thank you all for your help,
    You are all brilliant, with clear instructions and generosity of imparting what is hard gained experience, which will save hours of experimentation which would put most of trying and giving up you have given a lot of people enthusiasm who are probable watching our posts.
    once again thank you for your generosity.

Regards

Mike S

• Like Like x 12
  16. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I've set up back button focus for macro on my E-M1; it makes staying at 1:1 or whatever distance you're focused at really manageable.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    What i do (if i want to achieve as close to 1:1 as possible in AF mode), is to hit the 1:1, then come to that distance which indeed offers 1:1 (i think 19cm from the front of the lens). If you're a mm too close, it will hunt, abut if you're around 19cm or a bit further, it will be either 1:1 (or sth really close to it).

Some people say that if one wants to gain a true, in depth understanding of what patience is, one has to try macro photography ;)

Good luck

• Like Like x 2
  18. Mike Wingate

Mike Wingate Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    I told the guys at the camera shop today how to do this. They thought the best way was to keep hold of the rotary control.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  19. steveadams

steveadams Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2016
    South Georgia
    Steve Adams
    Just my opinion but that's like holding a car to 40 mph (65 km/h) by applying the brakes while holding the gas pedal floored. It works but adds lots of wear and tear.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. steveadams

steveadams Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2016
    South Georgia
    Steve Adams
    I dug out my manual for this lens and it doesn't have much but here is what it does have:

"If the switch is turned to [1:1], the point of focus is set to 0.19 m. Use MF to shoot at a fixed point of focus. The switch is returned to [0.19-0.4 m]."

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1