I have decided to get the E-M10

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by colbycheese, May 22, 2015.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    So today i went to my local camera store to look at cameras. My 2 choices were the E-M10 and the GX7. The second i held the E-M10 i knew i needed to get it. So I decided to get it. Unfortunately they have to ship me the camera because i wanted the silver one and they only had stock in the warehouse. The guy told me it would be here by Tuesday. The waiting begins now.

• Like Like x 4
  2. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
    Nice choice...I'd recommend getting the grip as it really adds to the handling of the camera.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    ya I am planning on getting that sometime soon. Even without the grip though wow the handling is nice. Nicer than the G3 even.

4. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    If you're getting the grip (which I think the E-M10 demands, realistically) might I recommend the Fotodiox alternative:

http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Olympus-Mirrorless-Digital-Battery/dp/B00N1Z7WOI

It is aluminum, a bunch cheaper, and has a cut-out in the base so that you don't have to remove the grip every single time you want to change the battery or take out the card. Seems like a win-win.

5. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    wow, never knew that this existed. Thank you for the link.

6. Plumballs

Plumballs Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 11, 2014
    Whitchurch, Hampshire
    Phil
    I have only got up to 40-150mm lens (not pro) but I do not feel the need for the grip. If I do manage to afford pro lenses I have heard they are harder to handle and need it, but no intention until then.

P.S I do have big hands

7. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    I have the grip but only use it when I am planning to use the 12-40 PRO for a while or on an outing where I'll be taking a lot of photos (it is helpful in that situation). I don't really need it the rest of the time. I have average sized hands for a woman.

Congrats, colbycheese, I think you will love your E-M10! I love mine.

8. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I would get the Olympus version. The Olympus version has two pins that line up with holes in the base of the E-M10 so there's no twisting. I had one of the Fotodiox ones and am much happier with the Olympus.

9. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    This is why I keep recommending that camera ;)

10. Savageajc

Savageajc Mu-43 Rookie

May 1, 2015
    Aron
    great choice!

11. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    I got mine on Thursday, so I'm just getting to grips with it (if can you forgive the bad pun). I notice that you also have an EPM1. The menu structure will be familiar to you with some extra bells and whistles. :thumbup:

I had to wait an extra couple of days to get it in silver too. It seems the most popular choice.

12. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    Ya, i would have got black but i just like the look of the silver one for some reason. But sadly i would have had to wait anyways because they only carry the kit version in the store. Oh well, it will be here before i know it.

13. Armoured

Armoured Mu-43 Rookie

May 5, 2015
    Funny, I got mine at a lower price, but with the stipulation that only in silver as they had too many. But depends on the country I guess.

Anyway, great camera whatever the colour )).

14. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Interesting. That seems super easy to make a DIY fix for. I would probably just drill and tap a hole in the right position and thread in a short screw. I just think it would bug me endlessly to have to take the grip off every time I wanted to switch batteries.

15. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    Really? :eek-31: All the dealers I checked early to mid week were out of silver but had black in stock. One dealer was charging a £70 premium for the silver model on Wednesday, but they've dropped it back in-line with the black body now.

I wanted silver because I have some silver Oly lenses and they look much better on a silver body, whereas the black lenses look equally good on either.

16. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Yes it is something that might be easily fixed, I was just pointing it out as something that is often missed. The mechanism to remove the grip on the Olympus version is more obvious and not often overlooked.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
    Removing the grip isn't a pain tbh, there is a quick release mechanism which removes part of the grip to access the battery/card area.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Yep, releasing the main part of the grip is actually faster and less fiddly than the actual act of accessing the battery/card compartment.

19. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    True on the Oly grip, not on the Fotodiox and others. Those you have to unscrew / remove the grip completely.

20. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
    I only have experience of the Olympus grip, so that's what I was referring to. :)