I have decided to get the E-M10

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by colbycheese, May 22, 2015.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    So today i went to my local camera store to look at cameras. My 2 choices were the E-M10 and the GX7. The second i held the E-M10 i knew i needed to get it. So I decided to get it. Unfortunately they have to ship me the camera because i wanted the silver one and they only had stock in the warehouse. The guy told me it would be here by Tuesday. The waiting begins now.

• Like Like x 4
  2. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
    Nice choice...I'd recommend getting the grip as it really adds to the handling of the camera.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    ya I am planning on getting that sometime soon. Even without the grip though wow the handling is nice. Nicer than the G3 even.

4. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    If you're getting the grip (which I think the E-M10 demands, realistically) might I recommend the Fotodiox alternative:

http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Olympus-Mirrorless-Digital-Battery/dp/B00N1Z7WOI

It is aluminum, a bunch cheaper, and has a cut-out in the base so that you don't have to remove the grip every single time you want to change the battery or take out the card. Seems like a win-win.

5. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    wow, never knew that this existed. Thank you for the link.

6. Plumballs

Plumballs Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Whitchurch, Hampshire
    Phil
    I have only got up to 40-150mm lens (not pro) but I do not feel the need for the grip. If I do manage to afford pro lenses I have heard they are harder to handle and need it, but no intention until then.

P.S I do have big hands

7. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    I have the grip but only use it when I am planning to use the 12-40 PRO for a while or on an outing where I'll be taking a lot of photos (it is helpful in that situation). I don't really need it the rest of the time. I have average sized hands for a woman.

Congrats, colbycheese, I think you will love your E-M10! I love mine.

8. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I would get the Olympus version. The Olympus version has two pins that line up with holes in the base of the E-M10 so there's no twisting. I had one of the Fotodiox ones and am much happier with the Olympus.

9. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    This is why I keep recommending that camera ;)

10. Savageajc

Savageajc Mu-43 Rookie

May 1, 2015
    Aron
    great choice!

11. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    I got mine on Thursday, so I'm just getting to grips with it (if can you forgive the bad pun). I notice that you also have an EPM1. The menu structure will be familiar to you with some extra bells and whistles. :thumbup:

I had to wait an extra couple of days to get it in silver too. It seems the most popular choice.

12. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    Ya, i would have got black but i just like the look of the silver one for some reason. But sadly i would have had to wait anyways because they only carry the kit version in the store. Oh well, it will be here before i know it.

13. Armoured

Armoured Mu-43 Rookie

May 5, 2015
    Funny, I got mine at a lower price, but with the stipulation that only in silver as they had too many. But depends on the country I guess.

Anyway, great camera whatever the colour )).

14. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Interesting. That seems super easy to make a DIY fix for. I would probably just drill and tap a hole in the right position and thread in a short screw. I just think it would bug me endlessly to have to take the grip off every time I wanted to switch batteries.

15. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    Really? :eek-31: All the dealers I checked early to mid week were out of silver but had black in stock. One dealer was charging a £70 premium for the silver model on Wednesday, but they've dropped it back in-line with the black body now.

I wanted silver because I have some silver Oly lenses and they look much better on a silver body, whereas the black lenses look equally good on either.

16. davidzvi

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Yes it is something that might be easily fixed, I was just pointing it out as something that is often missed. The mechanism to remove the grip on the Olympus version is more obvious and not often overlooked.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
    Removing the grip isn't a pain tbh, there is a quick release mechanism which removes part of the grip to access the battery/card area.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Yep, releasing the main part of the grip is actually faster and less fiddly than the actual act of accessing the battery/card compartment.

19. davidzvi

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    True on the Oly grip, not on the Fotodiox and others. Those you have to unscrew / remove the grip completely.

20. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
    I only have experience of the Olympus grip, so that's what I was referring to. :)