1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I have decided to buy a G3.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by colbycheese, Jun 7, 2012.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    I finally decided that i am going to buy a G3 this summer before my trip at the end of summer. I am low on money but i just want to buy the kit lens and body. I want to get it used, refurbished or open box. Where is the best place online and in person to buy this camera cheap? I am looking to spend less than 500 dollars because that is my limit for the summer. I know it may be better to buy a lens but my next birthday is coming up and i may get a prime or telephoto lens. Would a G3, EPM1, Both Kit Lenses, 20mm Prime lens and 45-200mm telephoto be a complete set? I have some waiting to do still:mad:

2. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    $500 should be plenty as the G3 can be had for pretty cheap used on its own (though, from your site domain, I assume you're in Canada?). Which gets to the second question, why do you want both kit lenses? I'd put the money toward the prime or telephoto. Which depends on how you shoot and where you're going. I'd lean toward the 20 myself =)

• Like Like x 1
  3. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    Thanks for your advice. Yes i am in canada. The reason why i wanted to get the kit lens also is because i have difficulty holding things over a pound or so and i may not have steady hands. I am worried about no image stabilization but i think i would feel safer if i had the lens with it. I really want a zoom lens but if you think it is a better idea to get the 20mm, i might do that. But i think the telephoto lens would be to heavy for me to use without a tripod.

4. Uwharrie

Uwharrie Mu-43 Veteran

May 10, 2012
    North Carolina
    Lynne Ezzell
    Right now I have a G3, 14-42 kit lens and an OLY 45-150. I bought everything used and have less than $600 invested. Both lens are super light weight

5. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    ok. i think i may sell my olympus kit lens (maybe) and put it toward buying another lens for the kit. Or if i find the g3 on sale, i could sell the lens for more afterwards.

6. aroth87

aroth87 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 3, 2012
    Johnson County, KS
    I paid less than $500 for my used G3 with 14-42. KEH has two G3 kits right now (that's where I got mine). I'm not sure what they charge to ship to Canada though.

Adam

7. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    What are you looking for out of the G3 that your E-PM1 is lacking? If you're concerned about light weight and image stabilization, then it seems to me that your best solution is the E-PM1 with one of the primes (I'd lean toward the 20mm).

8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    If $is tight, I would say the last thing you need is another body ...

Note: the only issue IMHO with the G3 is it eats batteries. You need to include the cost of at least one backup in your budget.

9. Kevin

Kevin Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    That depends on how much you shoot. I've had my G3 for almost a year now and have survived just fine with only one battery.

10. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    My G3 is ok, battery life seems fine, certainly wouldn't say it eats them, I guess it depends if you leave the rear screen on all the time and if you use the sleep function.

Paul

11. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    This is actually the bigger question I should have asked first, heh.

Also, IMO, every m43 camera eats batteries compared to my Canon system I had =P

12. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    i am also concerned with having the best ISO performance and a viewfinder that is more dslr styled than the EPM1 i want to be able to use a flash and veiwfinder at the same time

13. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Sell your epm1 then if you are buying a G3. Why have two bodies with kit lenses?

14. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I agree. If you feel that a viewfinder is essential, then I'd dump the E-PM1 altogether.

15. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    I know that buying it with the kit lens is a bad idea but, it is only 50 dollars more from b and h to get a lens with it. For that price it word be a good deal and i could sell one of the kit lenses that i did not like as much. I want to have a zoom lens more than a prime lens. I like zoom. Search it up yourself if you do not beleive me.

16. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    if the price is not the same at the time i purchase it, i will buy the body only. I need some body to use when my camera is getting repaired and to use outdoors and low light. I will still want to keep the epm1. I want the best iso in the lightest package. Is the ISO much better? should i just buy a viewfinder and not use flash in the low light?

17. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    If you're getting a G3 and you want a kit zoom it makes sense to get the Panasonic zoom so that you'll have image stabilization (particularly if you feel that you're not that steady). If you don't want to keep two kits zooms, you can sell the Oly 14-42. The other benefit of the OIS on the G3 is that you'll get automatic image rotation (which you won't have on the G3 with any non-OIS lenses).

I don't have any experience with either of these cameras, so I can't really comment on the ISO sensitivity from personal experience. I know that the ISO limit is 12,800 while the G3 only allows you to go to 6400, but that doesn't really mean that the images are usable at either of those values. I'm a skeptic on DXOMark scores, but the G3 scores higher on ISO sensitivity in their testing than the E-PM1 (667 to 499). Based on this, I would expect the G3 to be slightly better.

All that said, I feel that if you're concerned about low light performance you're MUCH better served to invest in a fast prime lens (despite your preference for zooms) rather than try to compensate by cranking up ISO.

• Like Like x 1
  18. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    I think i will buy the body and a zoom or the kit lens. I thought of buying a prime lens but i have my old 50mm f1.8 Nikon lens from the late 1970s. I recentyl started using that lens and camera a few days ago and love the lens. I will buy the adapter for it, try it on my EPM1 and maybe get the g3.

19. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    You're probably already aware of it, but if you're going to shooting with legacy lenses, you won't have the advantage of any image stabilization with the G3 (or any of the Panny bodies). I know that many feel that IS isn't necessary, but I feel that it does improve the IQ of my shots when I'm shooting handheld. Just another thing to keep in mind.

I think you'll do well to try the Nikon on the E-PM1 and see how the IS works for you before you go investing in a new body.

20. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    E-PM1 vs G3 for travel

I would buy a G3 for your travels based on the posts for the following reasons:

1. Budget. Just dump the E-PM1 and stick with one (better) body. I think someone on the market page is advertising a G3 for $350, dunno about Canadian shipping.
    2. Size/Handing. The G3 actually has somewhat of a hand grip which the E-PM1 sorely lacks (for me). The touchscreen and touch/shutter are pretty nice for "discrete" street shooting.
    3. EVF/FLASH/Articulating screen. The G3 is better in all these respects and very usuable.

Why keep both bodies:
    1. Stabilization: Nice on the E-PM1 for all lenses including your Nikkor nifty 50. The IBIS on the E-PM1 is good for about 2 stops on average in my experience.
    2. It's cute especially in white :p.
    3. If you have one of the EVF (2 or 3) the eye sensor is nice.

The G3 EVF needs to be manually changed with the LCD...small button on top left which can be a PITA. A little trick though on the G3 if you turn the LCD with the screen facing the body the EVF will automatically come up.