I have betrayed you all!

Is buying a $250, six year old Fuji a terrible mistake?

• Yes

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • No

Votes: 21 41.2%
  • Cool it with the drama, mate.

Votes: 25 49.0%

• Total voters

craniac

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Mark Crane
So I had a GX1 that I accidentally left hanging in a bathroom in Oregon, along with some lenses. It served me well for three years and I got some good shots of our two years in Qatar. It even survived a drop onto hard tile.The only problem I had with it was the lack of an EVF, since I still live in a desert (Utah).

A work buddy and gear hound from Doha is selling me his lightly used Fuji X100 for $250. I couldn't pass it up. If I really hate it I'll sell it at a profit and get a GX7.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help on this forum, and hopefully I'll be back one day.

Real Name
Andrew L
That's a great deal on the X100. I've wanted one over the years. I do think you're still missing out on a lot of the perks of more modern cameras, but it's a good camera at a good price. Enjoy it!

jyc860923

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
贾一川
it might not be an excellent camera but for 250 Dollars, you get a camera that can still take beautiful images although it's released six years ago, that is by no means a mistake if you ask me. You could possibly develop new ways in your photography by trying different equipment and you might just love that, my point is you never know until you tried.

D

Deleted member 20897

I owned an X100 years back. It is both a very awesome camera as well as a very frustrating camera. That being said, I do still have fond memories of it and it is capable of some really nice images. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I use mostly my GX80 with 20/1.7 lens now. Can really recommend that combo if you don't like X100.
(Since you like GX-cameras and aiming for a fixed normal lens :) )

TheMenWhoDrawSheeps

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Keep it up! Heaven is for climate, but there's much better company in the hell - you made the right choice.)

Real Name
Andrew L
I use mostly my GX80 with 20/1.7 lens now. Can really recommend that combo if you don't like X100.
(Since you like GX-cameras and aiming for a fixed normal lens :) )
I use the same combo, with my Gariz half case it's definitely a bigger package than an X100, but it just feels so good in the hand... almost a Leica-esque solidness and lots of flexibility with that bright lens.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
I just bought a Minolta Hi-Matic 7s II for $60 and spent a few evenings refurbishing the stuck aperture (Ronsonol to the rescue), cleaning the rangefinder, replacing the light seals, and getting a new battery with a proper voltage (thanks, WeinCell). Seems to work a treat now from what I can tell. I've heard nothing but great things about that Rokkor 40mm/1.7, and the whole camera is almost identical in size to a GX1 (and noticeably smaller than the X100!). Going to go put a roll through this week, with any luck...

Wait, what were we talking about?

Rangefinders for everyone!

craniac

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Mark Crane
I use the same combo, with my Gariz half case it's definitely a bigger package than an X100, but it just feels so good in the hand... almost a Leica-esque solidness and lots of flexibility with that bright lens.
I believe that body is sold as the GX85 in the US (but I could be wrong). I loved the solid feel of my gx1. The GX85 looks ideal, but I would have to scrape up another $200 for a used kit and be sure not to mention the total price to my wife :)

Real Name
Andrew L
I believe that body is sold as the GX85 in the US (but I could be wrong). I loved the solid feel of my gx1. The GX85 looks ideal, but I would have to scrape up another $200 for a used kit and be sure not to mention the total price to my wife :)
You are correct (I chose to ignore the technicality). I feel the GX85 will soon hit really good bargain status, but that may still take a year or two (and it would still be considerably more than the $250 mark). It was a bit of a splurge for me, but I always finance my new gear purchases with the sale of older gear... And birthdays ;)

Real Name
Andrew L
I just bought a Minolta Hi-Matic 7s II for $60 and spent a few evenings refurbishing the stuck aperture (Ronsonol to the rescue), cleaning the rangefinder, replacing the light seals, and getting a new battery with a proper voltage (thanks, WeinCell). Seems to work a treat now from what I can tell. I've heard nothing but great things about that Rokkor 40mm/1.7, and the whole camera is almost identical in size to a GX1 (and noticeably smaller than the X100!). Going to go put a roll through this week, with any luck...

Wait, what were we talking about?

Rangefinders for everyone!
I have a Konica C35 which needs some work (the meter doesn't work and these cameras are auto-exposure) which I bought to replace another which I previously owned but got rid of. The first camera was zone-focus only, with three settings, and no focus aid mechanism in the VF. The photos were amazing! That tiny 38mm lens produced some stunners.

The second camera is a true rangefinder, still auto exposure but with actual focusing in the VF and an aperture setting. If it only worked I'd use it constantly. I love these things. Need to figure out what's wrong (I'm guessing just a circuit somewhere is corroded or broken).

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
I have a Konica C35 which needs some work (the meter doesn't work and these cameras are auto-exposure) which I bought to replace another which I previously owned but got rid of. The first camera was zone-focus only, with three settings, and no focus aid mechanism in the VF. The photos were amazing! That tiny 38mm lens produced some stunners.

The second camera is a true rangefinder, still auto exposure but with actual focusing in the VF and an aperture setting. If it only worked I'd use it constantly. I love these things. Need to figure out what's wrong (I'm guessing just a circuit somewhere is corroded or broken).
Supposedly on the 7S II (which really is a very close relative of the Konica C35 / Auto S3) it's pretty common for the wires leading to the battery compartment to corrode. Mine seems to be in good shape (the meter certainly responds to light, I don't know if it's getting the exposure right, but I'll see). It appears that it's not too much work to take off the bottom plate and poke around, though. I'm glad that the camera I bought only had a few mechanical problems and nothing electrical, which is still basically witchcraft to me.

I'm pretty stoked.

Last edited:

davidzvi

Real Name
David
I just picked up a Fuji X70 about 2 weeks ago locally for a bargain as well. Really enjoying it so far. Not sure if it will make me want to switch to the dark side. But one never knows.

Biro

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
Mark, make sure you're running the latest firmware in the X100. The worst of the camera's frustrations are somewhat mitigated that way.

Latest threads

Top Bottom