1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I have bad luck with cameras!!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by memzinla, Oct 24, 2015.

1. memzinla

memzinla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    UGH!! I just want to scream! I'm so tired of this. I'm on my 4th camera in one month!

Most of the cameras I've bought either have a defect, or hasn't been as described.

1) The first camera was a new one from Adorama.com. It arrived in very good condition, but the LCD had a defect. Adorama offered to replace it, but I wouldn't have received the replacement in time for my Mexico trip.

2) I bought a used E-M5 from BHphoto.com. I was surprised their used gear don't come with a box. The camera stated that it came with the flash and was given a 9+. It did look good, but it had the bezel crack, few scratches, and it was missing the flash. BH offered to send me a free flash, but I just returned it because of the bezel crack.

3) I bought another E-M5 camera from the FM forums, and I asked if it had the bezel crack. The seller said no, and so I bought it. It arrived with the bezel crack. I just wanted to scream!! I told the seller, and he allowed me to return it.

4) I bought another E-M5 from eBay, and asked if it had a bezel crack, loose dials, or flimsy buttons. He said it was like new, and was in excellent condition. It does look good, but the paint is coming off from the hump. I looked at the pictures, and it doesn't have a clear pic of the hump, so that was my fault. The camera arrived today, and I'm returning it.

Ugh!!! So tired of this!
    Sorry just needed to vent.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    You should just buy an E-M10. Doesn't have any of the defects of the E-M5 mark I. Solid little camera!

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have been thinking of the E-M10 mark II, but do want a weather sealed body.
    How's the video quality on the E-M10? I'm ok with the E-M5 and E-M1 video quality.

Which one do you currently have?

4. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    I think you might be a bit fixated on the bezel crack thing.
    I believe the majority of the E-M5 Mark I bodies have them and I also have never seen any evidence that it makes any difference whatsoever.
    Rudy

5. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That's so true. It was only from a slightly overtightened screw that caused it & the crack is only superficial too. Anyone with the crack, just back off the screws a little & gently tighten the screws & then forget about it. I did have mine repaired under warranty just before it ran out, just because I could.

6. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Have you got weather sealed lenses? If not, no really good reason to get a weather sealed body. Do you really do much outdoor shooting where a fully weather sealed system would be advantageous? If i'm remembering correctly you've bought and sold various cameras for various reasons.

I like having weather sealed gear because I get the most use out of it when I'm in the middle of outdoorsy nowhere in dubious weather. At home, even with a bit of rain, non-weather sealed gear works fine in almost all circumstances. The value proposition presented by the E-M10 is tough to beat, and unless you have (or are planning to buy) one of the weather sealed normals (the 12-50 being, IMO, a decidely mediocre kit lens) you may want to reconsider your priorities.

7. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    What about all the EM5's and other's you bought on here? How many EM5's have you owned now? 10?

8. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Unless you plan on taking a shower with your camera, the E-M10 can handle some rainfall. I've used mine on rainy days here in LA!

Video is decent, probably on par with the E-M5 I if not a little better. Overall though, I find the body to be solid and far more compact with better button feedback.

You can find an E-M10 I for about 300-400 dollars.

Cardinal Camera on Amazon has 'Like-New' E-M10 bodies for $374. Comes with a bag and 16gb SD card. I've ordered from them before and they ship USPS Priority. Takes 2 days to LA. USA model.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=e-m10+body

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  9. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I've owned 4 E-M5s. None had the typical defects. I bought the E-M10 and it was not good. Dials felt like they were falling off. My point is that you take your chances with any used gear. Anyone who is going to be overly concerned about "little things" should probably pay for new gear, and not always be looking for something at a bargain price because they are low on funds.

10. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    Maybe you should change to Panasonic ;-)

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The bezel crack is normal for the E-M5. Even if you manage to find one without it, there's a good chance you'll wake up one morning and the crack will be there. I've owned a few E-M5s, all of which have had them. Never bothered me and never affected resale value either.

• Like Like x 1
  12. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    Can you show me/us what this bezel crack is???

13. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    • Like Like x 1
  14. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    Nearly unbelievable: I do have bought 6 Lumix G Cameras, and the population among my friends is in the same range: never seen something like this...

15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I never saw anything like it with my E-M5s until we had threads showing them at high magnification.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I might be. It just bugs me when the camera is not in good condition. I don't know why. :/ haha

When I shoot out in the rain I use the Olympus 12-50mm lens. I've been happy with the quality from this lens (being a kit lens). I'm just paranoid about the camera not working if it gets some water. I spend most of my vacations in Mexico where they have rainy summers.

I sold them. I think it has been 10... :p

That's what I wonder if it can take some light rain here in LA. In Mexico it rains a lot though. That's a good price. Thanks. :D

I actually did try the G7! I really liked it, but didn't like the feel of the camera body. It's so fast though! Want to try the GX8. haha

So it doesn't affect weather sealing?