I have an Olympus adapter that is crying out for a lens.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by craniac, Aug 7, 2013.

1. craniac

craniac Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2013
    Orem, Utah.
    Mark Crane
    I'm looking for a fun, affordable, manual focus lens to get for my GX1, because I have this adapter I bought (for the wrong lens) and heck I might as well stick something on it.

My other lenses are the kit 14-42mm that comes with the GF3 body and the Panasonic 14mm.

Difficulty level: I have to buy it off Ebay and I leave the country in 12 days. Shipping to my new home for a lens would be in the $50 range or higher.

It's this adapter:

Olympus OM (Zuiko) lens to MFT Micro 4/3 camera adapter for Panasonic G1 G2 G3 G10 GH1 GH2 GH3 GF1 GF2 GF3 GF5 GX1 Olympus E-P1 E-P2 E-P3 E-PL1 E-PL2 E-PL3
    Solid metal mount lens adapter allows Olympus OM lens to be used on micro 4/3 camera body.
    Focus to infinity
    Supports A, M mode. Auto metering is available in A/ AE mode
    Fine finishing! Install, remove and operate lens smoothly

In hindsight I should have dropped fifty bucks on the electronic adapter that supports auto focus.

2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Try one of the OM Zuiko Macro's or a classic Nifty Fifty.

Just depends what you like to shoot. I'd got for the f3.5 50mm Macro if you want to experiment a bit and go for the f1.8 50mm if you want a fast Tele for portraits or low-light (and it'll be cheaper than the Macro).
  3. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Or get the Om 50 1.8 plus a macro tele converter like I got in my signature.
  4. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Patrick Kristiansen
    +1 for the om 50f1,8. cheap and excellent.
  5. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    If you'd gotten the adapter with autofocus, you would want the 4/3 lenses that are much more expensive than the old OM-system manual focus lenses.

I agree with phigmov. A fast fifty would give you a great portrait lens, with shallow depth of field when you want it, and bargain-priced. A macro would also fill a gap for you.

Your third option would be a longer telephoto, but it wouldn't be as useful to most photographers as a portrait or macro lens.
  6. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
  7. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    One more vote for the Oly 50/1.8. I love using 50's on m4/3 - it's just a delight as a moderate tele for walkabout or portraits. Combined with your 14 it's a nice two lens set that will cover a wide range of situations.
  8. craniac

craniac Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2013
    Orem, Utah.
    Mark Crane
    Thank you everyone for your generous help. I ordered a 50/1.8, and it will arrive about four hours after I leave on a week long trip to the Portland coast!