1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I have an idea...maybe possible?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by derelict, Nov 10, 2015.

1. derelict

derelict Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2015
    I took a composition class last weekend and we discussed the various composition "rules." Rule of thirds, no big deal and pretty well known. The Golden Ratio, however, not so much. So, with all of the capability the OMD line has, it could not be that hard to offer up a menu setting that changes the screen on the back and/ or the EVF to display the thirds/ ratio spiral?
    lilian-24.

Or, something simple like this:
    goldenmean1.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  2. emorgan451

emorgan451 Mu-43 Veteran

You can set up the thirds boxes on the EM5 (original) so I assume you would be able to do the same. I don't have my camera right now to tell you the menu setting. I'm not sure about the spiral, but I don't think it's a current option.

3. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The Olympus thirds is not the Golden Mean.

4. derelict

derelict Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2015
    You can? I do not remember seeing that in any of the menu settings. Anyone have any idea of how/ where to find it?

5. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    I have the three lines set all the time on my E-M1.
    Cog-D, Displayed grid. There are five different options, as well as Off.
    But no spiral (I think it would be annoying anyway).

6. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I don't think you'll ever see a spiral option like the one you showed because it would need to come in 4 versions giving you the option of having the tightest part of the spiral in any one of the 4 corners, and then you would need a way of switching between them fast. Probably never going to happen.

The thirds display is the closest option we have and It's the option that I use. It isn't exact but that point you're interested in is a little more towards the frame corner than the intersections in the thirds grid so it will give you a reasonable idea.

Don't forget, however, that good composition isn't about following rules. There's lots of rules live several different diagonal ones, golden mean, rule of thirds, and none of them agree. People came up with the rules after seeing what worked in some images and then tried to sell the rule as a way of making things work. If there really was a rule, there'd only be one and there's more than a few. That should tell you something. Learn to use your eyes rather than a grid display and you'll get better results because there will be differences in your images, they won't all look like they're visually organised in exactly the same way. What works for one subject in one situation doesn't work for every subject in every situation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. derelict

derelict Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2015
    That is very true. My question was that it might be useful to have until you master composition. Something that can serve as a guide until you have a better feel for things and can turn them off.

If the EM1 has the grid, I will have to see if the 10 does as well.

9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    FWIW, there is a golden spiral crop in LR...as well as the other usuals, so you can make it fit. The Thirds is close enough to compose in camera IMO and then you can more closely crop in LR....if you are aiming for this (and yes it works in some subjects more than others), just leave some extra FOV to crop in Post.

11. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Maybe a screen protector for the LCD and a little careful work with a fine-point Sharpie?

Years ago I used tiny strips of black tape on my Nikon focus screens to mark the aspect ratio for 8x10" prints.

12. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    Yes, EM10 has a grid.

Menu button > Custom menu > Disp > Display grid

13. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    I agree with this 100%. But I will go a bit further and say that there is no such thing as Mastering Composition. If you read enough material you will find authors contradicting one another on so called rules. That is especially true when talking about shooting portraits but I have also seen contradictions among so called professional scenery photographers. Go with what looks good to you and master a technique that brings forth your perspective of the subjects you enjoy photographing. Take time to really look at a scene to see what there is about it that impresses you before you start photographing it. What story is it telling or what story do you want it to tell? That is what makes each photographers interpretation of the subject unique and interesting. If your pictures are not to your liking then you're photographing subjects that don't stir your passions and no matter what rules you employ they will still look dull to you. You will find that you will have a much easier time of photographing the subjects that you are passionate about.

14. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    • Like Like x 1
  15. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Reasonable on history, not so good on real life ratios. It says at one point "The iPad's 3:2 display, or the 16:9 display on your HDTV all "float around it," but the iPad display isn't 3:2. it's 4:3, the same as our m43 sensor and that translates to 1.333:1. As for the 16:9 ratio of the TV screen, that's 1.777778:1, not 1.61:1. Neither of those ratios is really close to the golden mean though the TV screen ratio is closer than the iPad.

At least those errors prove the author's point that a lot of what is said about the golden mean is rubbish.

16. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Yes, the golden mean, ratio, spiral, is rubbish. Right up there with pyramid power, and crystal healing.

However, I am quite taken with xkcd's insights.... perhaps I should pay more attention. ;)