1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I have a G1 and e-p1 should I buy a GF-1?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Fiddler, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

I've been offered a GF-1 body very cheap. I just can't decide whether to buy it or not :eek: Apart from the fact that it's a really nice camera, does it offer any advantages over my G1 or e-p1? The flash is one good point, and the form factor is good, but... Any comments appreciated.

All the best,

Colin

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I would say it combines the AF speed and "peppiness" of the G1 with the form factor of the EP1. Kinda the best of both IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    i have both the G1 and GF1, and I think they complement each other. I have one spare battery that I share between the two bodies. The form factor of the GF1 is great, but the grip is not as pronounced as the G1 so it is a bit trickier to hold with only your right hand. The build quality seems better on the GF1. The GF1 can shoot video (where the G1 cannot). My 20mm lives on my GF1 unless my wife wants to use it, in which case she prefers the 14-45mm kit zoom. I recently got the LVF1 (EVF) for the GF1, and the combination of GF1, LVF1, and 20mm makes for a seductive little package. :)

If you can get it for cheap, buy it!

--Warren

• Like Like x 1
  4. jmacpix

jmacpix Mu-43 Regular

IMHO...ditch everything else and get the GF1...:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

Hehe! Thanks for your comments guys. I will buy it. Just needed someone tip me over the edge!

All the best,

Colin

6. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

That was easy.:biggrin:

Honestly, I can't comment as I haven't used any of the cameras you've listed but I do know that there are many who seem to be completely smitten with the GF1 and get great results, too.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Colin,
    All good advice above.
    Just remember.....
    A man ain't no man without a GF1.....
    he he

8. back alley

back alley Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2010
    i didn't care for the gf1...add the finder and you have a g1, size wise...so no real pocketability.

9. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Difference is that you can pocket the GF1/20mm pretty easily (coat/cargo pocket, not normal pants pocket) and have the LVF1 in another small pocket. If you need a quick shot, the LCD will have to suffice; otherwise, it takes just a second to pop on the LVF1. Can't do that with a G1. It's the same with the E-P1/2/L1.

10. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    unless you want video and as you have a G1 and EP-1 - I cannot see the point in adding the GF

If you want another cam to complement your shooting set up - think about a good compact that is pocketable, (S95 springs to mind)

• Like Like x 2
  11. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Thank goodness I don't have to worry about being a man.:thumbup:

12. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    My gf1 body just arrived yesterday. I wonder what I was before that? :cool:

Haven't had a chance to really produce anything with it yet, but first impressions of the handling, controls, and responsiveness are VERY good. I think its primary advantage over the EP2 is probably street and other quick reaction types of shooting. Which I don't have much of at all in my little hometown, so I feel a road trip coming on!

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  13. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    If it is cheap enough to flip at little or no loss in a few months it never hurts to try.

I picked up a G1 recently and sold my viewfinder for the GF1 - it was useful but the resolution is so low I was annoyed every time I looked through it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Ray, What will turn you on in a hurry is seeing the GF1 & LX5 as partners.
    The interface is very similar..... Oh and...
    Beings your from da Philly area makes ya a man wit or witout...
    a camera or onions....

• Like Like x 1
  15. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

I'm thinking of using the GF1 mostly with legacy primes - shorties... Has a nice form factor for that, and using the G1 and e-p1 with m43 lenses. I'm a bit of a magpie - have a Canon G10, G11, and G12, and an Samsung EX1/TL500 (which is a fabulous cam) an LX3 and LX5, and a couple of DSLR's I rarely use since taking up m43...

All the best,

Colin

16. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Legacy lenses is one of the jobs I save for my Olympus. Both because of the IBIS and because the EVF is so much better for manual focus (the evf wouldn't affect you if you have an ep1). That said, I shoot with legacy lenses so little its almost academic.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  17. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

Yes, the ibis is good to have. I wonder which is better between the Pany and Oly IS...

18. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Hi Colin

All I can say is that if you have a strong and healthy relationship or no relationship at all and you've got the £$€'s then you must get the GF-1. :wink:

You know I couldn't get away from buying a third body without getting some serious high iso noise! :rofl:

19. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    I go with the point, it seems a little overkill, it really does not add much to what you have already. It is just more.

20. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    For stills its about a wash (although I've had very slightly better results from the OIS than the IBIS when shooting with the 45-200, but not all that consistently and its pretty tough to tell, and having BOTH on seems slightly better yet). For video, no question - OIS works, IBIS essentially doesn't. But for lenses without OIS (legacy, Olympus, and Pany's short focal length lenses like the 20, 7-14, and I guess the coming 14), IBIS is obviously better by its mere existence when the light gets low enough to matter.

-Ray