I have a disorder

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by tkbslc, Apr 6, 2015.

1. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I literally just barely finished switching all my Canon stuff to the m43 not 1 month ago. Bought the P15, O25, 045, 060, 9mm BCL and a couple slower zooms. My pictures are turning out fantastic. I like all of the lenses.

So why am I already comparing different lenses and contemplating lens swaps? Maybe my 15 and 25mm overlap too much. Maybe I should get the 45mm macro and 75mm f1.8 instead. Should I have got the 17mm f1.8 instead of the 15/25 pair. 12/25 instead of 15/25? Should I sell it all and just go with Leica 15 and 42.5?

I'm ill, I tell you. :shakehead::doh:
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    One thing for sure is to not replace the O60 with P45. While an excellent macro lens, the OLY is better.
  3. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    i'm kinda biased to the 15mm, so i'm inclined to agree with your last option to keep it and get a 42.5mm. and i'm planning to have that same pair for my gm5. ;)

as to the other lenses, you might want to consider selling them off for a faster zoom like the 12-40mm or 12-35mm for those situations where frequent lens changing is not doable or just need a one lens solution.

if you do a lot of macro, probably keep the 60mm or get a mcon-p02 to use with the 42.5mm.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. tkbslc

Oh, no, you guys are actually feeding my disorder. I was hoping people would agree with me that I am ill and tell me just to keep using my BRAND NEW lenses for a while. :)
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. martin-jo

martin-jo New to Mu-43

Oct 26, 2013
    The answer to your "Why"-question is simply - variety of lenses available and tendency to "maximize" right decision. I had the same problem when I started - bought the Oly 45 and Pana 20 for my G5. Then added the Pana 45-175. Shot a Pana 14mm on Ebay "by accident" (bargain though!). All very nice lenses.

Found out that I had too many lenses already, sigh, but there is still more out there that you long for... I think one fun-part of m43 is the variety of lenses that are available. However, for a while I spent too much time on gear and research than actually on taking pictures... not good...

So, IF you are still able, then hold back for a while and figure out which length you actually need. Which you don't use, which you begin to dislike. I would have bought differently with the experience of today and mainly use the Oly 17 and Oly 45 on the E-PM2, while with my G5 I use mostly the Oly 25, Oly 75 and the Pana 45-175. So, my advice - keep it for a while and figure out first what you really need and use....
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yeah, too many lenses to choose from. A more serious illness is constant body or even system switching. Both are just symptoms of GAS really. The urge to optimize one's kit is pretty strong, but unless something is causing frequent problems, e.g. too big a focal length gap between primes, not enough light gathering/too slow a shutter speed, not wide enough indoors, not close focusing enough, not enough reach (serious GAS danger here!), it will all end up being a compromise, one way or another.

Your kit will never be perfect, or 'complete'. Your needs will change, and your tastes will change too. It makes sense that you'll change the make-up of your kit to suit. My advice is to change stuff in order to solve specific problems, not to make things that are already good enough 'better' in some hypothetical or imagined way.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    15 & 25mm definitely don't have too much overlap. They offer very different fields of view. I typically won't use a 25mm lens in an indoor social setting, because it's too tight. I will however use the 15mm.

As for macro, keep the O60. It's a great macro lens, as well as a short tele that can be used for portraiture if the 45mm is a bit short.Your other option (if you don't shoot a ton of macro) is to sell the 60mm, and go buy an Olympus MCON-P02. It works great on the 45mm to really improve the magnification and make the 45mm f/1.8 double as a pseudo macro lens in times of need.

Since you already have the 15mm, I wouldn't suggest going to the 17mm. If you felt there is too much overlap between 15 & 25, it'll be even more overlap with the 17. It also isn't as sharp as the 15mm, which is truly a great little lens (I sold a 17mm for the 15mm, and don't regret it for a second).

If you really want to shuffle your lenses around, I'd sell the O24 for the PL25, and then sell the O45 and O60 as well as whatever slow 14-42 zoom you have, and pick up the O12-40PRO. It can serve as a pseudo macro lens thanks to its close MFD, covers you from 24-80mm (35mm eqv), and is fast enough for nearly any situation. That would leave you with the PL15 & PL25 for low light events, and the 12-40 for walking around/everyday stuff. The 12-40 is so good that you likely won't miss the lenses you sell unless you really do a lot of macro with the 60mm, or really do a lot of portraits with the 45mm.
  8. faithblinded

faithblinded Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Sounds like you need to buy a zoom or two, and get over the primes. The Panny 12-35 2.8, or the Oly 12-40 2.8, would end half ur dickering about. Keep the 60mm, body cap, and replace the rest with the 2.8 zoom. 6 months later you can analyze the data from the zoom and figure out what focal's you really shoot most, and decide whether going back to a prime is right for you. Buy all used and you might manage to do it without spending much.
  9. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    some reasons here
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    You are indeed ill - but then so are many in this forum, I think it is part of the attraction:)

You have a great set of lenses - but if you are going to make changes or additions - you could contemplate:

Wide angle O9-18mm - great lens, small and flexible and you don't have that much wide except for the bodycap
    P20 because of its pancake size (IQ and speed you already have although this lens has that too) - obviously depends on your body-size as well - but paired with a small body it is great for putting in your pocket/purse/bag and always carry.

Other than that, keep in mind:
  11. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    You ARE ill. And you've nailed one of the constant "problems" of visiting this type of forum.

You've got an enviable assemblage of equipment with which you are producing work you're happy with. I'm no doctor (but then GAS is not a true medical diagnosis anyway), but I prescribe a gear purchase diet of at LEAST three months where you spend time actually using and gaining comfort with all the new stuff you have. Only in doing that will you find the enlightenment you seek. You'll get plenty of opinions here (including mine), but actual answers are more difficult to come by.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    The only time I think that someone has "too many" lenses would be if they were to go out and buy the P42.5, O45, P45. THAT to me would be a little overkill, but its your money - you spend it however you want.

With that being said, I subscribe to the premise that each lens has a specific purpose.

While I love the O17/25/45 primes that I have, I also am going to be replacing my O12-50 with the O12-40. The primes serve a purpose in that they are small and light and allow for 1 extra stop of light which gives me more DOF control. They are great if you don't need to switch around lenses very often or you are working in an environment that will not dirty up your sensor. The other thing I love about the m43 lenses is that 99% of them are usable shot wide open with great sharpness and clarity. Not something I was finding in my FX Nikon primes in a comparable price range.

The 12-40 will be a great fast zoom, and would be a great walk around lens. It is not as fast as the primes in light gathering, but it has a convenience factor going for it. Plus it is weather sealed. The 12-50 is a decent kit lens, but I was not happy with the IQ from it and was only using it in inclement weather as it was the only weather sealed lens I had before purchasing the 40-150/2.8 PRO.

So, bottom line is this - every lens has a purpose, a strength and a weakness. If you understand what those are, then you can see where they all fit in the line up. Some overlap is OK.
    One last recommendation - to keep the purchases and reselling to a minimum, might I suggest looking into renting the lenses you think you might like from a place like Lensrentals or Borrowlenses? That will give you some time to use the lenses and see if they fit into your needs without a large outlay of cash up front and then a need to return or resell.
  13. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    You have a really nice set of lenses. If you really need to buy something, pick a second body so you don't have to switch lenses so often.

Spend more time looking at pictures, yours and others, instead of gear reviews.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    Yes you are ill, got the ER at once.

Feel better? ......o_O

But yes they seem a little close. I'm not at differentiating smaller steps in angle of view affects than some. So if you do than even 10-20mm angle of view might make a difference to you. I just take a step forward or back. That's way I like the approximately x2 range. I have the 17 / 30 / 60; the 15 / 42.5 / 75 would be about the same.
  15. tkbslc

Revisiting this today, I think part of my problem was buying too much new kit at once. I have 7 brand new lenses all within a one month period. I have too much conflicting gear excitement all at one time. I am overwhelmed when I open the bag as to which one to use. I only had 3 or 4 at a time with my DSLR and I made a lot of gear swaps, but usually a couple a year with months between them. I probably should have started slowly, but I was doing a full system swap and had the money now and maybe not later.

I was thinking more like a year! I know all the lenses I have are fantastic and more than cover all my needs. I just need to get to know them better.

Definitely. I also had a very hard time choosing which lenses, so I think I am second-guessing my decisions now that some time has passed. But truthfully I bought all of these for specific reasons and didn't by others for specific reasons and I need to remember that. Too many good choices and all are right! There are really very few, if any, bad lenses in the system.
  16. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    By the way, you have a great selection of prime lenses. Anyone ever tell you that?

If you don't like zooms, you have a great portable set. I'd say don't change a thing for now.....and please post your pics for all to see

Happy shooting!
    • Like Like x 1
  17. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Another treatment for your ailment is a forced but temporary reduction in your kit -- take JUST one lens to a given shoot and give it a work-out. After some time doing this you'll better understand the capabilities of your solo lens, and while you'll miss some shots, you'll likely discover uses and approaches you'd not have uncovered otherwise. Cheers!
    • Like Like x 4
  18. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Start spending money on trips.
    • Agree Agree x 5
  19. tkbslc

Heading on south to Zion (and maybe Bryce) next week!
  20. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Good start! Don't miss Kolob viewpoint on sunset.