1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I guess this is a m4/3 Olympus camera...sort of. Who will buy one?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by LowriderS10, Feb 5, 2015.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Looks like Olympus is running after the Sony QX-series by releasing one of these kinda-sorta-not-really cameras for your smartphone.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/04...lip-on-camera-for-smartphones-coming-to-japan

I'm certainly baffled by these things, as I would rather have a GM1 (roughly the same price, size and weight, and I'm willing to bet that most of the Air's guts came straight out of the GM1 parts bin), and not have to rely on mutiple devices, drain two batteries at once, and still have controls on the body, etc...but...apparently Sony's QX1 is doing well, so not everyone shares my aversion to these cameras!

Thoughts?

2. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

I think body only this is a bit cheaper than the GM1(even when comparing used prices). I was thinking of upgrading my GF3+14mm pocket combo to the GM1, but this has me rethinking it, specially if price pans out and battery life equals or bests the GM1. I take this has no IS?

• Like Like x 1
  3. skellington

skellington Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Keith
    This can be used in lots of ways that would be more difficult for a GM1. i.e. attached to a drone.

Someone mentioned astrophotography, where you'll do remote control in any case.

I think the important part is "controlled by a smart phone" (or PC), not just as a peripheral for a smart phone. (Although that may be a big enough market by itself to help justify development.)

And if it ends up $150, I'd consider it. Set it up on a tripod in the corner to shoot video?

4. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I don't know about the price...the Sony QX1 is $400, and I am guessing that the Air will be right around that mark as well. The GM1 can be had for $325 "used" (brand new in box copy in the B&S forum on this site).

Yeah, I'm guessing no IS on this one...

Out of curiosity...why would you choose this over a GM1?

5. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Yeah, I read the drone bit too...that one I can see as being a great use for it. Astrophotography...I'm having a harder time with. The GM1 has WiFi capabilities as well, so I don't see this one being any more suited for astrophoto...or for shooting video in the corner.

As for $150...I will be extremely shocked if it's a penny below $300...but I have a feeling it'll be $350-400. Olympus seems to have no problem pricing their cameras right around what the bigger sensor ones go for, and I can't see them making an exception for this one.

6. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Size seems to be smaller in some ways than the GM1 and I thin price will be a tad cheaper too. I really only have the 14mm, which would be a perfect match for this. But, also now that someone mentioned it could work with drones, that has my interested in this a bit more piqued. I just want to know if there is IS or not.

7. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Don't think of it like a Sony QX-whatever. It's more like an advanced webcam/static camera which you can outfit with M4/3 lenses. For some people I'm sure it will be right up their alley.

8. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    It'll never catch on! You read it here first!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I'm not sure why one would think it contains GM1 parts, as it's fully developed by Olympus as an open source camera for development by anyone interested in whatever unique things can be done with the device. At the moment, it's only mobile phone controllable, but that can easily change if required. Remember, this is just a development platform. If it creates enough interest and opportunities, then there's nothing to say that it can't be modified over time. As already stated, there are numerous existing tethered opportunities, such as:

- astrophotography
    - macrophotography
    - still life photography
    - studio photography
    - difficult locations

10. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Clips onto a smartphone... Hope no one tries with a lens attached to an iPhone 6 give the bendability ;p

I can see this being useful for situations where you only have room/mounting capabilities for the lens for the most part. Especially with the wireless controls. But it's a very "special purpose" device which I don't see being that popular with consumers in general.

Edit didn't even think of astrophotography...

• Like Like x 1
  11. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    If this actually happens, and they release a serious SDK with full control over the system, I'll buy one immediately. There's a number of things I've been meaning to try involving programmatic control of a digital camera.

12. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    That's exactly what Olympus has said is happening: http://www.olympus-global.com/en/news/2015a/nr150205opce.jsp.

13. dwkdnvr

dwkdnvr Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Denver
    Right, but until the SDK details are published it's not clear exactly how much control will be available. IF full control over mode, exposure, shutter speed (including bulb start/bulb stop) is present (along with live view and image download) then this could in fact be a nice platform for astrophotography. IIRC there was some interest in the QX from the astrophoto community, but it lacked bulb control which made it a non-starter.

14. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    The concept is exactly like the Sony QX1 w/ an interchangeable lens mount.

• Like Like x 1
  15. CPTKILLER

CPTKILLER Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    Austin, Texas USA
    Jim Phipps
    Not for me.

• Like Like x 1
  16. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    The only thing that really interests me is the open API thing. It promises the kind of user control stuff that Thom Hogan sometimes rants about.
    But I'd like that in a "normal" camera TBH.

• Like Like x 1
  17. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Except more open to customization/fiddling. The Sony was useless because it was too focused on one particular use-case, which was a boring and stupid one. I'm not personally thrilled about this Olympus model; won't buy it. But that Sony was awful.

18. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    It doesn't have to clip on, it comes with Bluetooth and WiFi, so the viewing/operating screen can be anywhere.

19. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    From what I've seen, price wise, it might fall within the $300-$400 price point.

• Like Like x 1
  20. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry