1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

I guess people do use X100s.

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by lenshoarder, Feb 17, 2012.

1. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm sitting here in a coffee shop and someone is wandering around taking pictures with a X100. She's not using the EVF at all. In fact she's shooting one handed like it's just a big P&S.

2. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I use my X100 all the time. Great camera.

3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I'm not sure where you ever got the impression that people DON'T use X100s. You don't see them a lot because they're a relatively niche camera. And a good number of people bought them who shouldn't have just because it was the next big thing, but had nothing to do with how they shot. But once that first round of "inappropriate" buyers sold them off, it appears they're mostly in the hands of people who appreciate it for what it is and don't wish it to be what its not. And I suspect the great majority of current owners shoot with it a lot. I shoot with it less than some cameras, but still use it plenty. And really love shooting with it. I don't use the EVF much either - but I use the OVF nearly all the time. EVF just for really low light where I need it to gain up or for really close focus stuff. And I occasionally use it at arms length using the LCD too. Pretty cool for a camera to have all three options.

-Ray

• Like Like x 2
  4. Shock! Horror! Someone taking advantage of the big live-view LCD on the back of their camera!

5. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX

<-- 1 handed shooter!

*hangs head in shame*
    ive already been yelled at about it... lol... i THINK it was RAY!!! *glares up a post*
    lol!!!

i dont think ive seen an x100 shooter in person
    but i also havent seen a gh2 shooter, or a gf1 shooter...or an epm1... so... i wouldnt worry too much :)

6. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    WHAT did I accuse you of??? I don't tend to be too judgmental about how people shoot - I tend to prefer to shoot WITHOUT a viewfinder most of the time and mostly reach for the X100 as my favorite changes of pace, but I've been known to use it without on occasion also. But if I gave you a hard time, I apologize in advance, or I guess in reverse???

-Ray

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I see more film shooters than I do Micro Four Thirds shooters...

• Like Like x 1
  8. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    X100 shooter here. :)
    Planning to add the OM-D E-M5 in my arsenal. :)

Here are some street shots using the X100. Link

9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Hmmm....
    I wonder if we'll see these types of comments when the first OMD EM-5 user is spotted using the LCD vice the viewfinder :smile:

10. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    With that tilt screen I'll be using the OMD the vast majority of the time with the OLED. The EVF is for those relatively rare occasions I'll need it. I'll be very happy to have it, wish it were designed a bit less prominently, but it doesn't look like it'll get in my way like the rear-protruding EVFs on the GH2 and G3 (which I realize some people like specifically FOR that reason - but I don't). So, feel free to comment away - I think that tilting touch screen OLED is gonna be the feature of the year for me. As if they joined the best features of the EP3 and EPL3 and added a few other new ones to the mix and a better sensor! Sounds like heaven to me...

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Well one thing is certain....
    The OMD EM-5 is definitely a game changer for those who wanted a bit more than an E-P3 with some Four Thirds features but not the size of Four Thirds. :smile:

12. I suspect the point being made in the first post was due to someone buying an X100 ( not cheap, of course) and then NOT using the fancy hybrid viewfinder which the camera was built around seems a bit funny. I do however happen to think that the often seen assertion that framing using the rear LCD implies the photographer doesn't care about what they're doing or is a total noob who doesn't know any better is total crap.

• Like Like x 1
  13. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    I've been keeping quiet since it's been so interesting to see what people have been posting and I didn't want to steer it.

The point of the first post was to say that I've never seen someone using a X100 out in the wild. It's been interesting to see how the discussion has evolved. I never said that using an EVF was bad or good. I just made the observation that she wasn't using it.

14. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    And you made a comparison to point and shooting :smile:

15. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    And I didn't say that was a bad or good thing. It was a pretty neutral observation.

16. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    On an enthusiast forum, a discussion of someone using an X100 like it was a point and shoot is NOT a neutral observation. Its like saying that a comment about using a Nikon D3 on full auto-snapshot mode is a neutral observation. Its not. Nothing wrong with the observation, but I'm not buying your Switzerland act! :cool:

-Ray

• Like Like x 4
  17. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    LOL....interesting to see the defenders and then the backpedaling. I use my X100 more and more all the time. My Panasonics sit at home. Sometimes I use it seriously, sometimes I use it like a point and shoot. It's great as a serious tool and when I want to shut my brain off, I can do that too. It's all about the photos and when you enjoy using the camera (however you use it), you'll get more good photos.

18. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    Ah... I didn't say the X100 was a P&S. I said she was using it like it was a P&S. I think everyone's dream camera would be a full frame sensor in a S100 body. High quality in a small body. Otherwise why are people even using M43 cameras instead of getting a full size DSLR? So my statement was neutral.

"In fact she's shooting one handed like it's just a big P&S."

You could have taken that positively.

"Cool, in fact she's shooting one handed like it's just a big P&S."

But you took it negatively.

"In fact she's shooting one handed like it's just a big crappy P&S."

My statement was just an observation. All biases and prejudices are yours.

19. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    So using your logic....
    We would therefore have to say that anyone that uses the LCD on the GH2 is using it like a point-and-shoot.

20. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Why would you expect to see an X100? Production is in the thousands world wide. Leica has produced millions of camera regardless of a specific model and I don't think I have every seen one on the street. Oddly enough, I did see an X100 at the Common Ground Fair in Maine last year. It is just a matter of chance.