I got the bargain of the century?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by vincechu, Dec 7, 2010.

1. vincechu

vincechu Mu-43 Regular

Hey everyone,

Sorry I've not posted for months, been so busy with my final year at uni. I jJust wanted to share a story.

The other day i was shopping in Manchester and went into a used electronics store, and saw a GF1 for £55 (around 90usd)! I couldnt believe it and asked staff to check the price, and it really was £55GBP , only catch was it had no lens, cables manual, instructions or charger, just the box.

I bought it anway, and shopped hard online, and managed to get a new 14-42 unboxed from kit for £90GBP, and an official charger for £40.

Total spent for a GF1 and 14-42 £185 (approx 300usd), usually they go for £480gbp new.

Only problem is I dont have much time to shoot, with all my uni work and all :-(

Lesson - keep you eyes open for bargains ;-)
  2. Chopchop

Chopchop New to Mu-43

Nov 4, 2010
    Sounds like a proper bargain at that price, was it in a 'cash convertors' or similar shop?
  3. scott

scott Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2010
    Yeah, that would be the bargain of the century--congrats! All the used shops over here are too good at checking eBay etc for prices, so nobody lets one slip through like that anymore.
  4. vincechu

vincechu Mu-43 Regular

Chopchop and Scott: it was a cash convertors shop, and I was absolutely dumbfounded as to why they let it go at such a low price.

Oh I forgot to mention that it was in full working order, cosmetically mint - pretty much as new.
  5. scott

scott Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2010
    I think somebody left a number off that price. :)
  6. Ephemeral Moment

Ephemeral Moment Mu-43 Regular

Jun 3, 2010
    Wish our CC were that lax - could do with a second GF1 body
  7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Wow, terrific find, Vince. Good to hear from you!
  8. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    That's like stealing candy from a baby.
  9. pancake

pancake Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2010
    UK south East
    B***er me! That was a find! Gonna hit the 2nd hand shops now
  10. justin28

justin28 Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 18, 2010
    Awesome! Few things feel better than getting a great bargain on something you really really want!

Reminds me of back when I was shopping point&shoots, I REALLY wanted the Pany Lumix DMC-TZ1 (this was when it was new), and I waited untill Black Friday but unfortunately I didnt see any deals from any of the camera shops or big electronic stores either for it. So later in the day I was walking around WalMart and decided to take a look at their camera section, for the hell of it, and was just curious to see if by any chance they had the TZ1. Their display was very limited, as was expected, but somehow in the corner of my eye a box in a locked glass storage case lodged behind other boxes stood out to me, and it was a TZ1! I asked someone to get it for me, and the price was marked at $150, half the price of what the other stores were asking. I was psyched! After purchasing though, I did notice someone had written that something was off about the lens on a paper on the box, and the note was left engraved in the cardboard, so naturally, I went to one of the camera stores in the mall, knowing their price match policy, and picked up another from them for the 150! They were shocked that I was able to get it for that price, had to call the manager to approve the price match etc... , but in the end they approved it, and then returned my original to walmart :)

I felt very accomplished that day, to say the least, AND that was the best P&S I could ever have hoped for. It really took some amazing shots, I did a few seasons around the Mediterranean and 4 months in HK / SE Asia and had it as a third arm basically, always tied to my belt, and have 3 photobooks from it, really loved that camera. A canoe accident ended it for me, but on the bright side, it gave me the opportunity to move up to the GF1!
  11. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    Makes me worry that you may well have gotten stolen property, and the pawnshop knew it was stolen and naturally, wanted to get rid of it fast.
  12. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    That's an awesome price. Locally, I missed out on a GF1 + 20mm lens for $255 on CL. I called about it 20 minutes after it was posted but the seller said that he'd already gotten a bunch of calls and that someone was already on his way over. It ranks up there with the T2i I missed for $400 or so.