I got GAS!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by swampduck, Apr 9, 2013.

1. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    I think...seriously, I currently shoot an E-pl1. I came to this format from shooting Canon DSLR's. I am finding that the lack of knobs and other twisty, turny, push things is annoying me. What would be the most logical next step in a new m4/3 body? I would like to stay with Olympus, brand loyalty fool here, unless there is a compelling reason to switch.

2. hrsy1234

hrsy1234 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2013
    East London
    If you're missing knobs and you want to stay with Olympus, the only way to go is OM-D E-M5.

3. silversx80

silversx80 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    North Carolina
    I'd say that if you're wanting more on-camera controls, go with the E-PL5 over the E-M5. Same sensor, and one less dial. You give up just a few features, but at $550 new, it's hard to justify the E-M5 over it.

Then, take the leftover money and invest in some nice lenses. That's where you're going to get the most bang for the buck.

4. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    If price is a compelling reason to switch the G5, GH2 and G3 got some nobs and dials at much lower price.

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The EPL1 has the same amt of controls as the EPL5, and that's what's missing.

GH series in Panny, or OMD. OMD and GH3 have the best sensors in that class, but OMD is the clear choice to stay w/Oly.

6. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    I was afraid of that...I have to save my pennies I guess, either that or raid the kids college fund, decisions

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    A used EP3 would have faster AF than the EPL1, a very handy thumbwheel, and the same sensor. I've seen them as low as $300 used. So, it's a small step up, and in general a better operating machine than the EPL1 (in terms of speed, etc.).

8. RuffDraft

RuffDraft Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    Raid it and be squashed! :horse:

Nah, it's worth saving up. The OM-D just went down in price quite a bit as well, in comparison to what I paid, £1250 to £999.

Great camera though.

9. silversx80

silversx80 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    North Carolina
    I was almost certain that the PL5 had a rear control wheel around the control buttons, unlike the PL1, which is push-button control only (not even a mode dial). I haven't handled a PL5, though, so you're a better source than me :thumbup:.

10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    No, you are correct!! :redface:

I used the EPL2 more, and must have been thinking about that one.

BUT having said that, the ring on the EPL5 is actually hindered by the flip LCD. But you are correct. It does have a ring instead of buttons.

I think the EP1/2/3 thumb wheel would be a better fit for an upgrade, unless OP also wants the new sensor.

11. mirrorless

mirrorless Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2013
    GAS is a product of visiting this particular section of the forum which only focuses on gear. At least for me. haha

12. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    My thought is if I am going to get a new camera, get one with a newer sensor. I think that I am going to save my pennies and get the EM-5...the more I look at it, the more I want it....now to find the GAS-X in the meantime.

13. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Hey Dan,

This does sound like GAS, and the prescription of staying away from this forum is sound.

However, I recently upgraded from an E-PL1 to an E-P3 and can tell you that the ergonomics/controls of the E-P3 are much nicer. The touchscreen is a nice bonus. Although it uses the same sensor, test results show that high-ISO performance is marginally improved, which is likely due to the newer image processor.

I understand wanting to save up for the quantum leap to the OM-D, but if it's going to be a while the E-P3 is a worthy stepping stone.

- A GAS enabler

14. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Definately GAS. The problem even with the E-M5 (lots of buttons, etc) is even then there are controlls that can only be gotten through the SCP!

Better just to glue some knobs to your camera and use them like worry beads.

15. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    +1 - I love the control set up on my E-P3 and prices are really good right now. :thumbup:

16. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    GH3 is the king of knobs and switches. You're gonna pay for those knobs and switches though.

17. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    I started looking at the Panny bodies, but they are expensive...damn. I am going to stay with the Oly line I think. I may not be able to hold out though, an E-pl5 may be in the cards for me...if I can just wait until the end of the year maybe a new body comes out in between that and the EM-5

18. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    The new Pen E-P5 is coming out this year. Save your pennies.

19. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    Stop It!!!!:biggrin:

20. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Greg
    I would get the unloved E-P2 for around $150 (used) or so. Pretty much the same images as the E-PL1 but with all of the buttons. This for a camera that was, what $899 new? That's crazy. Never tried an E-P3 but they should be getting cheaper and cheaper too. I'll probably get one eventually to play with.

I have used an E-PM1 and G3 and I didn't like the lack of controls at all. Now I use a G2, my favorite Micro-4/3 camera to date.