I got a nice offer to trade in my G5 for a EM5. Should I do it?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Gerard, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    My type of photography:
    Never video
    Seldom fast moving objects, like kids, pets, sport.
    I think I shoot like a random tourist: a door, a building, a poster, a street, a landscape, a sunset, a tree, a car, etc.
    95% of shots are outside.
    On the other hand I tend to behave like a hobbyist: I like to experiment with light: blue hour, etc.
    For bracketing or low light situations I use a tripod, which I like because of the slow process of thinking ahead, planning and executing.
    Roughly half of my shots are with legacy lenses, the other half 12-40, while I quite often use the MF option.
    My estimate is that around 60% is shot wider than FL 50. (I wish I could fill in the lens and FL in the metadata somehow)
    I have never used a flash. I always shoot RAW and I always compose using the EVF. Most of the time I shoot in A mode, while I fiddle with EV compensation.

I am tempted to do that because of the wheather sealing (combo with my 12-40) and the 5 ax stabilization, because of my legacy lenses.

Some doubts however:
    1. I think I will going to be missing the fully articulated screen, but this will be no deal breaker.
    2. When I rotate the focus ring of a native lens, the G5 automatically magnifies the image. The same applies for the EM5.
    When shooting a legacy lens, the G5 gives me the option to touch a focuspoint on the screen to get a magnified picture or pushing the rearbutton for the same effect. This is my major concern, because I dont know how the EM5 performs in this field.

2. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Greg
    That is a tough call, I like my G5 but I would probably make the trade. The main reasons I keep the G5 are things you mentioned: video, and the touch-screen focus point set, zoom pinpoint focus. You don't use video and Olympus is a somewhat nicer camera - stabilization, sealed, etc. You will have to acclimate yourself to the Oly buttons and menus which can take some time.

• Like Like x 1
  3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

E-M5 would add stabilization and weather sealing to the 12-40, making it a much more versatile lens. E-M5 has a significantly better sensor than the G5. It's a pretty good upgrade, I'd say.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Estrellas321

Estrellas321 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    I've never used either camera, but I would think the resale value of the E-M5 is higher. Just did a quick check and G5's have sold for around $150 while the E-M5 sold anywhere from $260-350.

I think the Olympus IBIS is pretty darn good. If you get any primes in the future, it will definitely come in handy.

5. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    Trade!

6. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I have a G5 that I'd trade straight up for an EM5 in good shape in a heartbeat.
    Fred

7. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I would definitely make that trade, particularly since you never shoot video.

8. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I'd say since you get 5-axis IBIS, and own the 12-40mm lens which is not stabilized, go for it. IBIS is nice to have!

9. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus loser Subscribing Member

Nov 16, 2010
    You can customize a button for magnified view, so yes, make the trade!

10. Yelkrub

Yelkrub Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 21, 2013
    Cheshire, U.K.
    Paul
    https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=dIuFAwAAQBAJ&pg=PT70&lpg=PT70&dq=olympus+e-m5+touch+screen&source=bl&ots=sAqdGxGbnC&sig=eWQgV8MJ_nqywakL9qQ3AzY5XmU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CFEQ6AEwCTgUahUKEwjjvou4iYHHAhUMchQKHdM-CyI#v=onepage&q=olympus e-m5 touch screen&f=false

Link to preview of David Busch' book on the em5: shows the touch screen options, one of the functions is zooming on a focus area and you can adjust the zoom ratio between 5 to 14x.
    The magnify function is also available on FN1 button: press to activate and use 4 way controller to pick point then press FN1 again
    to zoom in. The zoom ratio is adjusted with either front or back knob.
    Edit: Hmmm, may be FN2 button.........

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. nublar

nublar Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2013
    SOCAL
    Having had a G5 and now an EM-10, i would do that trade in a heartbeat unless I needed e shutter or 1080p 60 fps video

12. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror! Subscribing Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Trade. It's that simple.

13. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    You all have taken away the last doubts I had. Thanks for that.
    In a few hours I will be a EM5 owner

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.