1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

I got a nice offer to trade in my G5 for a EM5. Should I do it?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Gerard, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 All-Pro

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    My type of photography:
    Never video
    Seldom fast moving objects, like kids, pets, sport.
    I think I shoot like a random tourist: a door, a building, a poster, a street, a landscape, a sunset, a tree, a car, etc.
    95% of shots are outside.
    On the other hand I tend to behave like a hobbyist: I like to experiment with light: blue hour, etc.
    For bracketing or low light situations I use a tripod, which I like because of the slow process of thinking ahead, planning and executing.
    Roughly half of my shots are with legacy lenses, the other half 12-40, while I quite often use the MF option.
    My estimate is that around 60% is shot wider than FL 50. (I wish I could fill in the lens and FL in the metadata somehow)
    I have never used a flash. I always shoot RAW and I always compose using the EVF. Most of the time I shoot in A mode, while I fiddle with EV compensation.

I am tempted to do that because of the wheather sealing (combo with my 12-40) and the 5 ax stabilization, because of my legacy lenses.

Some doubts however:
    1. I think I will going to be missing the fully articulated screen, but this will be no deal breaker.
    2. When I rotate the focus ring of a native lens, the G5 automatically magnifies the image. The same applies for the EM5.
    When shooting a legacy lens, the G5 gives me the option to touch a focuspoint on the screen to get a magnified picture or pushing the rearbutton for the same effect. This is my major concern, because I dont know how the EM5 performs in this field.

2. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Greg
    That is a tough call, I like my G5 but I would probably make the trade. The main reasons I keep the G5 are things you mentioned: video, and the touch-screen focus point set, zoom pinpoint focus. You don't use video and Olympus is a somewhat nicer camera - stabilization, sealed, etc. You will have to acclimate yourself to the Oly buttons and menus which can take some time.

• Like Like x 1
  3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

E-M5 would add stabilization and weather sealing to the 12-40, making it a much more versatile lens. E-M5 has a significantly better sensor than the G5. It's a pretty good upgrade, I'd say.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Estrellas321

Estrellas321 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    I've never used either camera, but I would think the resale value of the E-M5 is higher. Just did a quick check and G5's have sold for around $150 while the E-M5 sold anywhere from $260-350.

I think the Olympus IBIS is pretty darn good. If you get any primes in the future, it will definitely come in handy.

5. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    Trade!

6. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I have a G5 that I'd trade straight up for an EM5 in good shape in a heartbeat.
    Fred

7. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I would definitely make that trade, particularly since you never shoot video.

8. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I'd say since you get 5-axis IBIS, and own the 12-40mm lens which is not stabilized, go for it. IBIS is nice to have!

9. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    You can customize a button for magnified view, so yes, make the trade!

10. Yelkrub

Yelkrub Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 21, 2013
    Cheshire, U.K.
    Paul
    https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=dIuFAwAAQBAJ&pg=PT70&lpg=PT70&dq=olympus+e-m5+touch+screen&source=bl&ots=sAqdGxGbnC&sig=eWQgV8MJ_nqywakL9qQ3AzY5XmU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CFEQ6AEwCTgUahUKEwjjvou4iYHHAhUMchQKHdM-CyI#v=onepage&q=olympus e-m5 touch screen&f=false

Link to preview of David Busch' book on the em5: shows the touch screen options, one of the functions is zooming on a focus area and you can adjust the zoom ratio between 5 to 14x.
    The magnify function is also available on FN1 button: press to activate and use 4 way controller to pick point then press FN1 again
    to zoom in. The zoom ratio is adjusted with either front or back knob.
    Edit: Hmmm, may be FN2 button.........

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. nublar

nublar Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2013
    SOCAL
    Having had a G5 and now an EM-10, i would do that trade in a heartbeat unless I needed e shutter or 1080p 60 fps video

12. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Trade. It's that simple.

13. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 All-Pro

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    You all have taken away the last doubts I had. Thanks for that.
    In a few hours I will be a EM5 owner