1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

I got a discount code from Olympus, any suggestions on what to buy?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jonathan F/2, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    I got an online discount code from Olympus. Not sure if I need anything. The only thing that sucks is that I get charged tax in my state, so the nice discount after taxes are only okay. Any ideas what I should get? I already owned a 45 1.8, but with the discount, the price comes out a bit cheaper. Though I use my 25 1.4 more so, that's why I sold my 45 in the first. Also the E-P3 is heavily discounted, but I really don't need it. The 40-150 R is discounted slightly, but I don't like plastic mount lenses.

Maybe I should just hold off and not buy anything! :tongue: A white E-P3 looks yummy though!

2. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    I say do the E-P3...can't go wrong.

3. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    If I get an E-P3 though, I really can't justify keeping my other bodies, but it's sorely tempting! :biggrin:

4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I'll cast another vote for an E-P3. If you can't justify keeping the other bodies.....sell 'em.

5. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    The E-P3 is that good? Is there any visual difference between E-PM1 and E-P3 pictures? To be honest I like the E-PL2 output slightly better than the E-PM1. I find the pictures a tad sharper and contrasty, while the E-PM1 slightly excels at higher ISO.

6. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Is there an expiration date?
    I have the opposite experience, all my E-PM1 files are quite a bit better: sharper and better color too (noise filter is always off) compared to my E-PL2

7. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    well the 2 current (recent) Olys should be the same...I didn't realize your bodies were so current. If you don't feel the need for any lenses, I'd save your cash.

8. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    There's no expiration date that I know of, but I'd hate for it to go to waste if they cancel the discount!

I have my noise filter on both cameras on Low. I find setting it at Off is a tad too noisy for my taste . At low though, it seems to apply more NR on the E-PM1 than the E-PL2 at Low. Barely noticeable, but enough for me to tell the difference. I like both cameras honestly!

9. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    If you use a discount to buy something you wouldn't otherwise buy are you really saving money?

Of course if you're just moving an intended purchase forward...

10. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    I'll probably hold off, until Olympus releases something I really want. Maybe I should sell the discount card! :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.