1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

I give up on adapted lenses!

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Jonathan F/2, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Saying that, here's a portrait of my niece on the G3 & Nikkor 50mm 1.4 Ai'D:

[​IMG]

I'm probably going to get the Olympus 45 1.8. Shooting adapted lenses without a focus light indicator or focus peaking makes shooting MF lenses hit-or-miss with m43, at least for my style of fast shooting. Plus it's really more difficult shooting near wide open when you're shooting subjects that are constantly moving. It's okay stopped down, but if you want any shallow DOF it's a real pain.

• Like Like x 5
  2. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Great portrait!

3. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I agree, I use MF legacy lenses with static subjects and enough light, because in those circumstances the resulting IQ is at least as good as with native lenses, if not better. In dynamic situations I too prefer the native AF lenses.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yeah, native lenses are better, especially with wide open shooting. I couldn't wait for better native lenses for the system though, so naturally I just carried over my good glass from the Four-Thirds system. The selection for Micro Four-Thirds is starting to look up now though, and the selection of primes up to 45mm is very nice. That's still only up to 45mm, though, lol. Once we start seeing some 85mm, 100mm/135mm, 180mm/200mm, and 300mm primes, then we'll be set. And let's not forget the macros in the 100mm range. ;)

5. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Dude, don't give up on adapted lenses. They are great. Just get a NEX. Problem solved. M43 has been reduced to video only for me. A hacked GH1 is still a video beast.

6. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I got my eye on the 45 f1.8. I'm actually thinking of replacing some of my Nikon glass for m43 equivalents. I have the 16-35 VR for Nikon which is excellent, but the smallest FX body you can put that lens on is a D700, which is still big for discreet shooting, I've been really tempted to go with the 7-14 or possibly the 12 f2, but that 16-35 VR is soooo sharp and the VR works great!

I've been thinking of getting a used NEX-5 and giving Sony a shot, but there's still nothing like the 20mm 1.7 on Sony's end. In fact their whole lens line up sucks. Plus I like the VF and articulating screen on my G3 which works great for family/street shots.

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    NEX doesn't solve the fact that adapted lenses are super-soft wide open.

Like many others, I've got the 45/1.8 on pre-order. If this lens lives up to its published promise, I think it's going to rock the CSC market (especially at that price).

8. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    You mean like this?

Carl Zeiss 24mm E-mount Lens Photos | PhotographyBLOG

9. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have a Nikon 85 1.4 G that's sharp as a tack wide open, but seriously adapting that lens on an m43 body is ridiculous. That 45 1.8 will be the sweet spot portrait lens. If they manage f2-2.8 on the upcoming 35-100, that will also make for an excellent portrait lens due to fast aperture, focal distance separation.

10. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    It's too big. I'd rather use m43 pancakes. The whole point of mirrorless to me is small, If I want quality nothing beats Nikon FX bodies which I have. There's still not many cameras that touch my 4 year old D3. :wink:

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Is this lens available yet?

The Zeiss lens is certainly the best thing that's yet come to the NEX arena, including the NEX-7 body. They're finally shaping up with all the things that the system totally lacked - decent glass, control dials, viewfinder, minolta hotshoe, etc.

I don't think it's too little, but is it too late? I'm sorry, but one lens isn't going to change the lineup... Micro Four-Thirds has very high quality lenses from a 7-14mm/4, 7.5mm/3.5 fisheye, 12mm/2, 14mm/2.5, 17mm f/2.8, 20mm/1.7, 25mm/0.95, 25mm/1.4, 45mm/1.8, and 45mm/2.8 macro (that's 10 decent lenses, ignoring the cheap, slow-as-molasses zooms!). None of these lenses are soft like we've been seeing from the Sony E-mount lenses, not even the cheap zooms I've omitted.

One solitaire Zeiss lens simply doesn't compete, but it sure is a good start... finally. I think the Sony NEX has a future now as a system, but as of yet it's still not a full-blown system like Micro Four-Thirds. Maybe in a few years, if Sony can keep up with the pace of growth that :43: has shown (backed by 2 body manufacturers and a handful of lens manufacturers).

12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Ouch! I don't think those samples really help the case. Bad shots, too soft, too high ISO, just not good shots to show off a lens. Hopefully there will be better examples soon from others, to really see what that lens can do.

http://img.photographyblog.com/revi...ens/photos/carl_zeiss_24mm_emount_lens_21.jpg

http://img.photographyblog.com/revi...ens/photos/carl_zeiss_24mm_emount_lens_18.jpg

http://img.photographyblog.com/revi...ens/photos/carl_zeiss_24mm_emount_lens_16.jpg

http://img.photographyblog.com/revi...ens/photos/carl_zeiss_24mm_emount_lens_10.jpg

13. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    The little body makes up for it. I think a NEX with that lens has a smaller volume than a G3 with the 20mm. In NEX versus Panny, it's big lenses versus big bodies. I prefer a NEX with a big lens since I can hold it the same way I have always held an SLR, I cradle the camera in the palm of my hand and focus with my thumb and forefinger. That's very awkward with a Panny and the 20mm. The body is too big, the lens is too small. The 20mm would be a better match on a body that's NEX sized. On the NEX, there are plenty of small adapted lens options. My I69 is a good match in size for the 20mm. With peaking, focusing is fast enough.