I get nostalgic sometimes

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Robert Spoecker, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Robert Spoecker

Robert Spoecker Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2010
    padlock2.

My brother and I were born in Germany and the whole family emigrated to America in 1953 by ocean liner across the Atlantic. We arrived in New york about one year after Ellis Island shut down. I turned 10 years of age somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic and we landed on the day peace was declared in Korea.

The lock was used to lock up the one wicker steamer trunk we brought to our newly adopted country. The lock is very nostalgic to me as it reminds me of those days.

On the boat dad asked me what I wanted I wanted for my birthday and I immediately said a film camera so he drew a picture of a camera as a ticket to be turned in in New York for my much anticipated first camera. It was a Kodak that took 120 film and had no adjustments at all, just click the button and hope for the best. I still use that method whenever I can.

• Like Like x 8
  2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    A bit late but Welcome to America Robert. I enjoyed you reminiscing and you made me laugh as I think you and I share similar photographic methodologies.

Gary