I gave my D200 to my son today.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Chuck Pike, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
    All I have left of my Nikon equipment are two lens, the 35mm and 50mm. Everything else is gone. If I feel the need, I will go and buy the D90 replacement, or I just might give those two lens to one of my sons as well. Shame to just have the equipment sitting in a case. He was looking to buy a camera and I thought why not give him the D200. I have loved what Nikon has allowed me to do all these past 45 years, they have been great. However, the GF1 is doing the same for me at a fraction of the weight, and that is why I have not picked up the D200 up in serveral months. Who would have thought it. And just a few months ago I didn't even know that there was something called m 4/3 format.

I had a client place an order for a set of photographs to be used in a magazine. I look at them, and realize that there is nothing in these pictures that couldn't have been done by the GF1, and maybe they could have been done better with the GF1. The 20mm lens is a great lens. Now if they could only make the Leica X1 come with video, have faster focus, leave off Light Room and make it about the same price as the GF1, I would be happy. But to be honest, the GF1 is about the best work horse of a camera that I have owned. I have this camera with me everyday and every place that I go. Because of that, I have really learned how to get the most out of this camera.

photosbypike

• Like Like x 3
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Chuck,
    Your right. I also gave my 2 D300 bodies and 1/2 dozen lenses to my daughter.
    She loves that stuff but she's a young 37 so she can manage the weight.
    I love the Pens cause like you, I have it with me all the time....

I feel better knowing someone else gave the Pro stuff to their kid....
    Thanks....

3. franklyspeaking

franklyspeaking Mu-43 Regular

If anyone else out there is wanting to offload their equipment and needs a son, I'm open to adoption if it means free cameras and lenses.....

:)

• Like Like x 3
  4. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    That is a nice way to make 2 go a long way… :D

5. Carol Stee

Carol Stee Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2010
    I agree that the X1 needs faster focus, but what would interest me the most would be a Leica X1 with an interchangeable M lens mount and an EVF. But this would be a manual focus camera since Leica M lenses are manual focus, unless auto focus M lenses became available.

Leicas always cost significantly more than their Panasonic counterparts so I doubt an improved X1 would cost what a GF1 does. The Leica d-Lux4 costs double what the Panasonic LX3 for almost the same camera. Rediculous.

6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I just read your thread on DPR too, had a quick look at your website.
    As time moves on the equipment which is 'good enough' is shrinking and/or getting cheaper. Great!
    Also, our 'good enough' stuff can be quite good fun to play with too!

7. Jonkobeck

Jonkobeck Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2010
    New York City
    Chuck thanks for that post. Very well said. I believe that we have reached a technological plateau as far as digital cameras are concerned. I don't think we will be seeing any major iq advancements in dslr's at this point. Now what we will be seeing is smaller cameras equaling in quality of the larger dslr.
    I am seeing more and more pros like yourself giving up the heavy DSLR for the G1 etc.
    After all, a GOOD image is a good image, irrelevant of megapixels, sensor size, iso, prime or zoom. All those those things really are is marketing.
    I have seen imAges in museums that were shot with a plastic Holga toy camera.

• Like Like x 1
  8. julienrl

julienrl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 28, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    the best camera is the one you have on you!