1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I found another hidden reason why M4/3 cameras are awesome...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by LowriderS10, Sep 3, 2013.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    So I live in South Korea and I'm planning on making a trip to the DMZ (it's the De-Militarized Zone on the border between South Korea and North Korea). It's the world's most heavily protected border. You can do some tours there where they show you the tunnels North Koreans have dug into SK, the room where the cease-fire (but NOT peace treaty...the two countries continue to be at war, technically) was signed, etc.

There are all sorts of rules as to what you can and can't do, take, wear, etc at the border. One of the rules is that no lens with a focal length of over 90mm is allowed in. Hurray for the M4/3's 2x crop factor!!! ;) I'm going to take the OM-D with the O75. :)

2. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    NYC
    You are a bad boy.

3. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Ignorance is bliss :tongue:

4. MarylandUSA

MarylandUSA Mu-43 Regular

Jul 3, 2013
    Poolesville, Maryland
    Paul Franklin Stregevsky
    Bring a spare blank SD card and do a stealthy switcheroo if they demand that you surrender your image card.
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Mu-43 mobile app

5. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Haha yeah, this is why I liked having my Canon 1D Mark III. It had dual card slots (I had it set up to write to both cards simultaneously) and I always had black memory cards, so they'd blend in with the body...if I was ever asked to surrender a card (I was a few times by people who had no authority over me, so it never actually came to that), I figured I'd pop one out, and still have the other one. ;)

6. romzL

romzL Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2012
    romz
    Reminds me of Per-Andre Hoffmann (Nat Geo Photog) doing a Photo Talk to us 2 years ago and he said was sent there in the DMZ to shoot and was also informed about the above 90mm lens restriction. He had to scratch off the 200mm markings of his 70-200mm lens just to get a long lens to shoot with. Good thing the lens zooms in internally and the soldiers didn't noticed it :tongue:

You might try doing this as well :2thumbs:

7. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Haha wow...that's pretty extreme...my longest lens is the 75, so I'm all good. :D

I wonder if they'd notice a TC...5 bucks says they wouldn't. ;)

8. BrittonPatrick

BrittonPatrick  

Sep 2, 2013
    new york city
    why it is so that focal lens of more than 90mm is not allowed there ? i mean, one wrong thing they are doing by being into war even being attached with a common name that is Korea and second, they are stopping, we the photographers, from taking some sweet shots ..

9. RajC

RajC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2013
    Oh yea, this sounds like a great time to try to be sneaky.
    It's only national security they're trying to maintain, so why not see what you can get away with.

Maybe next time you can bring some nylon handcuffs on an airplane or hide mace in your sock. You know, just for kicks.

10. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Im so looking forward to your pictures. I really do!.

11. ejackso1

ejackso1 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2012
    You're taking this too seriously. The point is that it's a silly restriction in the first place. If they wanted tight security they wouldn't allow cameras at all. Many concerts and sporting events impose similar restrictions, sometimes specifying a focal length, other times a maximum length measurement for any type of camera, and maybe even banning SLR-style cameras all together.

12. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I'm not getting into the politics of it... ;)

Yikes...someone's in a bad mood today. I'm not sure what's "sneaky" about taking a 75mm lens to a place where 90mm is the maximum allowed focal length, but when you figure it out...oh wait...even then I won't be interested. ;)

Thanks, if I get anything good, I'll post it up! :D

Oooh neat! I've seen some friends come back with some interesting shots of the propaganda village (which is all run down now) and stuff...

13. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    sounds and looks like quite an amazing place to visit ...

14. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Yeah, I'm stoked!!! I've been meaning to go there the whole time I've been in Korea (nearly 3 years), but keep putting it off...I think it's time to actually do it...I've got a few friends who are interested in going as well, so it should be good with an enthusiastic group! :D

15. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Be careful, enjoy, be sure to post some pics for us. :cool:

16. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    For the NFL it's 6" lens, which is enough to sneak in a 45-175 (if you want to go long) or a 35-100/75 if you want to go fast.

17. will_f

will_f Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2013
    One of the fascinating aspects of a bureaucracy is how long it takes dumb rules to be changed, but how quickly they can be made.

18. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Maybe they check the EXIF on your way out! :biggrin:

19. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Why is finding a way to work within the rules a threat to national security? It's a ridiculous rule anyway, given that if you just want a digital image you can crop massively in pp.