I Find This All Pretty Sad!

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 23yrs ago

alan1972

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alan Grant
Possibly because it was the monthly Pokemon Go "community day" event? Just a guess but that would be consistent with a lot of people gathering in a park for a few hours with their phones - I have seen similar scenes in Stephen's Green in the centre of Dublin during these events. But I don't know the area so maybe it is like that every weekend.

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 23yrs ago
Possibly because it was the monthly Pokemon Go "community day" event? Just a guess but that would be consistent with a lot of people gathering in a park for a few hours with their phones - I have seen similar scenes in Stephen's Green in the centre of Dublin during these events. But I don't know the area so maybe it is like that every weekend.
Nope. That's just the way the world here is rolling. :hmmm: I lost count of the number of times folk nearly walked into me not looking where they were going.

macro

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Mate, join the very large club of dinosaurs. Just showed Jan this shot as well Kev, yeah it's become typical. My phone makes fantastic phone calls ........ end of story.

All the best Kev.

Danny-Saurus-Rex.

Trixter

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jim Leonard
It was like this all the way along South Bank yesterday. Literally hundreds in a very beautiful place with their heads buried in their phones!
We have short memories: 40 years ago, I saw the same thing, but with books instead of phones. And yet, we don't seem to equate antisocial-with-books as bad as antisocial-with-phones for some reason.

D

Deleted member 20897

We have short memories: 40 years ago, I saw the same thing, but with books instead of phones. And yet, we don't seem to equate antisocial-with-books as bad as antisocial-with-phones for some reason.
[SOAPBOX]
I agree. And there is nothing wrong with those of use taking images like this to engage in conversion with these people either.

I hate to use a quote like this, but seems appropriate, "be the change you want to see in the world".

If we want people to be more social and get off their phones, give them a reason by engaging them in a conversation that does. not require their phone.
[/SOAPBOX]

Last edited by a moderator:

NCV

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Nigel
You have managed to get a whole load of "first world" problems into this shot.

After the impact of everybody in the picture being lost in the virtual world, I also noticed just how obese a lot of the young people in this shot are. This is another big change I have seen in the last ten years.

Great social documentary picture Kevin, it makes you stop and think.

BamaBoy

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Bob
Do you REALLY think they are ever going to upgrade to what some refer to as " Real Cameras " ? BTW, they are all talking to one another... easier to talk junk when you are not looking someone in the eye...:laugh:

pake

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Teemu
I don't consider myself as a dinosaur yet (I'm not even 40 yet - close enough though) and I have been thinking the same things quite often lately. People riding bikes with their nose on the phone, people driving their cars and texting, etc. No matter where we are, people care more about their phones than anything else. :(

I bet there will be a huuuuuge demand for physiotherapists etc. because of the future neck problems. The posture issues will be something unbelievable. Even I suffer neck issues and I don't use my phone that much.

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
[SOAPBOX]
If we want people to be more social and get off their phones, give them a reason by engaging them in a conversation that does. not require their phone.
[/SOAPBOX]
The problem there is at least one person needs to get off their phone long enough to start that conversation. Catch 22.

The blonde woman behind pirate t-shirt guy doesn't appear to be looking at a device, nor does the guy at the far right, who appears to be talking to the person he's walking with. That's just under 12% of the people in the photo. A huge success!

There was a recent story wherein a local school is banning all cellphones for the day, even during lunch. The result? The lunchroom is noisy again as kids interact.

Just so you all know, I use a flip phone. So...there!

D

Deleted member 20897

The problem there is at least one person needs to get off their phone long enough to start that conversation. Catch 22.

The blonde woman behind pirate t-shirt guy doesn't appear to be looking at a device, nor does the guy at the far right, who appears to be talking to the person he's walking with. That's just under 12% of the people in the photo. A huge success!

There was a recent story wherein a local school is banning all cellphones for the day, even during lunch. The result? The lunchroom is noisy again as kids interact.

Just so you all know, I use a flip phone. So...there!
There is no catch-22. The photographer made assumptions, but never took steps toward making the effort to find out what was going on or affect change.

So, for me just someone else complaining, but don't nothing about it.

Which is fine, if that's the way you want to go about things. Everyone is entitled to bitch all they want. It's still a free country, for a little while longer anyway.

jyc860923

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
贾一川
I really don't like people burying their heads in screens as it makes me feel more isolated than I need to be, I'm not a social person but I don't appreciate to be left behind that way, all I can do is to try not to judge someone just because they're using their phones.

The other side of me do wish them wake up on an unknown island with nothing but the phone.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom