1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

I feel like I bought the wrong camera...

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by bobaEnthusiast, Feb 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. bobaEnthusiast

bobaEnthusiast Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 11, 2018
    Sometimes I regret buying my Lumix GX85 and it's too late to return it— I'm 10 days overdue BH's extended return policy. I should have purchased a used GH4 because then it would have been in my budget and I would be getting higher quality features, or even maybe finding a used G85... I convinced myself that the GX85 was great because it was a single step down from the G85, but in my budget bracket. And plus I scored a great deal: $600 with two lens and a 64 GB sd card— money saver.

But I know. It's not the body or gear that makes a creator or an artist. It's just that I feel like I was heavily swayed by 4K magic during my time of purchase that I forgot about everything else. I don't even use 4K for 4K, I use it to scale down to 1080P, but why am I doing all of this for crisp 1080P? Why don't I just use 1080P? It's actually really displeasing that the 60FPS/1080P on the GX85 is only like 28 mbps. Every other camera is higher, especially the GH4, and it has 4K and more frame rate options for 1080. The idea that I could have had "better" upsets me... I do like the 5-axis IBIS in the GX85. It's absolutely magic, but maybe I could have started my journey learning without it? I mean there was once a time where IBIS was nonexistant, or people utilize the shake artistically.

Am I going crazy dwelling on this? Do I need an "I told you so" moment?
    I guess it's whatever because either body is a learning experience. I'm not going into the professional world, but the capacity of having the ability to produce high quality content without being limited by your equipment... How can the GX85 shoot 4K and not have a higher bitrate for 1080P— SIGH.

2. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I suppose if you really do not want it, put it in the buy - sell section. Doubt you will have it for long.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. bobaEnthusiast

Feb 11, 2018
    I guess that is the only option I have, but then all those blood and tears put into that money and losing much of it!

4. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I'm guessing it's still in warranty, you may not loose too much.

5. ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aside from the numbers, what do you find lacking in the GX85's 1080p output?

• Like Like x 1
  6. bobaEnthusiast

Feb 11, 2018
    I feel like it's a bit too soft, a bit washed out, and I feel like it could be sharper with more clarity.

7. Stanga

Stanga Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 16, 2016
    If that's the case, what lenses are you using, and do you do any post processing?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. DanS

DanS Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    I second this.

If you feel its soft, it's probably the lens not the body.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock Mu-43 Top Veteran

There are all kinds if settings in camera to sharpen/saturate if you plan to do no grading, but i wouldn't categorize the standard picture profile as ''soft".

But if you do plan to grade, you want as flat a profile as possible (I use cinelike d with reduced contrast).

10. bobaEnthusiast

Feb 11, 2018
    The lens I currently use for a majority of the time is the Panasonic 25mm f/1.7, but I also have the 12-32mm and 45-150mm. And yes, I do do some post processing.

I use the natural profile or the cinelike d profile and then try to grade it afterward. Speaking of which, there is this certain color grade that a cinematographer I follow utilizes that I wish to achieve but don't really know how to go about acquiring that or don't really know how to start with it, so I feel that is another factor in my doubts about this camera... Again, I know it's not the body. But also his images and videos are so clean and clear...

11. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
  12. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    That's why I don't buy new. You minimize your losses when it comes time to sell. Consider this a learning experience.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    And how do you know that the GH4 would be better in this regard? Have you personally shot with it and compared the sample side-by-side? Or are you just assuming that the higher bitrate correlates to a sharper image?

14. magIBIS

magIBIS Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Central Europe
    I don't know how advanced you are in grading, but it takes some serious effort to grade video for outstanding results. Natural or cinelike d are good for getting more information pressed into the codec, but have to be tweaked skillfully to 'pop'. Search for videos of skilled amateurs and pros on Vimeo using the gx85 and compare. The lenses can make a difference - but there are so many things to consider, that no general answer is possible. Take the marvelous results skilled DOPs get with legacy lenses or ugly but sharp captures some YouTube-kids produce as scale.
    Concentrate on storytelling, telling a story and your story.
    Your gear is more capable than most directors in film history had at their proposal. If you are advanced enough to use the benefits of shooting in 4k and deliver in full HD - do so.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. ohaya

ohaya Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 1, 2016
    USA
    I have a 1.7 and I've had problems with focusing. Maybe you're having the same problem?

16. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Try renting a superior lens. The ones that you listed are okay, not exceptional. Choose a FL and we can make recommendations. A PL 25,1.4 for instance is a very high-quality lens at reasonable price, especially used.

More likely to be the lenses than the body. A rental will give you peace of mind that it’s the lenses not the body. Then you can decide how to find a lens solution instead of swapping bodies and having the same result due to lenses.

17. Mike Wingate

Mike Wingate Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    Have you changed all the settings to suit?

18. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2013
    So you do know that most 1080P is not truly 1080 lines, that is why 4K>1080P is "better" - you get the 1080 lines in the down rez. What editor do you use? That makes a big difference, as make sure you are using proxies if you computer is not at least a new i7 with lots of ram and something like a GPU with 8 gig of ram. Proxies are just like working with 1080 until you render. Do you have a color calibrated monitor? If not color grading will never work. Resolve (free) will do the best color correction but it is a hard program to learn. I suggest you take some time and use 4K you will learn to love it. I have Gx8 & Gx85 and I see no difference in the 4K, and the 1080P down rez is amazing.

19. DanS

DanS Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    Shooting and color grading m43 footage, is a lot harder than most people think it is. everything but the GH5 shoots 4:2:0 8bit h.264 internally, and that's a far cry from the 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 10 to 12 bit footage a lot of people use to teach grading with. For m43, You need to get exposure, wb, SS, and to a lesser extent color close in camera. If you're off, and try and push it to far in post the footage will turn to garbage quick.

I shot this a little bit ago, maybe it will help you some.

• Body Panasonic G7
    • Lens Panasonic 25mm f/1.7
    • FHD 60p
    • F/2.2
    • 1/125
    • iso 400
    • wb set with an expodisc
    • photo style (Cinelike D) per the Leeming LUT guide.
    • Leeming LUT V502 and Leeming LUT Quicke basic brighter applied in post.

Some colorists git super bent out of shape when you tell them you used a LUT, but if your shooting in a controlled environment, they can save you a lot of time. I only manually grade, when i need to because my shooting environment for video is very consistent (workshop with no windows).

frame grabs:

strait from camera.
    camera.

v502 applied
    V502.

basic brighter applied
    BasicBrighter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. DanS

DanS Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    This is similar to above, but 4k 30p f/4 1/60. IMO, this footage is better, because it's shot at a slower SS thus allowing the camera to more easily gather light. Not to mention that lower frame rates yield more data per frame, and thus less compression.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.