1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

i-enhance observation

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by cd23murray, Aug 22, 2012.

1. cd23murray

cd23murray Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    North Carolina
    First time post, but I have been reading here for quite a while.

Last night I was using he om-d with the 12-50 in a low light restaurant. I kept the af assist light off as it wasn't critical to get the shots. Anyway the af hunted a lot (which I expected).

Now tonight I started playing around to see if I could get a better setup. I was using vivid and natural but when I switched to i-enhance the evf and lcd immediately brightened up (seemingly brighter than it actually is). The kicker was focusing was instantly better too. Now the evf and lcd seemed to refresh slower and the focus seemed to move slower through the range, but it would lock on in situation where with vivid/natural didn't.

I searched for info on i-enhance but there isn't much out there. Does this make sense and do other see the same thing? I looked at all my other setting and they don't change when switching into i-enhance.

thanks for any info

2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Interesting . . . I have an E-P3, I'll have to try this and see what happens. You may have discovered a useful anomaly. Welcome to the forum!

3. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    The manual says....

i-Enhance.... Produces more impressive-looking results suited to the scene.

Does it do what it says on the tin?

4. cd23murray

cd23murray Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    North Carolina
    Honestly the pics looked very similar when compared to vivid (with sharpening +1). I haven't really looked a lot at the output files though. I just thought it was odd having the brightness immediately boost itself in the evf/lcd and focus easier (in low light).

5. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Thanks for posting, a useful tip that.

6. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Partially off-topic, but what does iEnhance actually do to the images, say if one were to try to reproduce the JPEGs from the RAW in Lightroom? I usually think it is "too much" but occasionally like what it's doing to the images. It doesn't seem to be just increased saturation, or contrast, etc. Still trying to get a hang of this "Lightroom" thing.