1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

i-Dynamic & i-Resolution option on GX7

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Paul80, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    Hi all

deep within the menu of the GX7 and probably other the are a couple of options i-Dynamic & i-Resolution the instructions only mention these two options very briefly.

Are they of any use or just gimmicks, I have tried them out and to be honest found little difference between shots taken with and without, but that may be me miss understanding what their use is for.

Anyone got any views on these two options, good or bad.

Thanks

Paul

2. poopstick

poopstick Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2013
    Burlington Ontario
    iDynamic brings up the shadows a little bit, and iResolution adds some sharpening. I think they are both good to use at their low or standard setting.
    Before I switched to RAW exclusively, I would use iResolution at Extended, and iDynamic at standard.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Do you shoot RAW or JPG? If you shoot RAW, then these settings are meaningless, as the effect they have on the photo is only applied to JPG files. If you do shoot JPG, then they can be happy by helping boost the dynamic range and sharpness of the photos taken.

4. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    Hi

Thanks for the replies

I tend to shoot RAW + JPEG and must admit I do tend to work with the JPEG's only reverting to the RAW if an image needs anything more than modest adjustments.

Paul

5. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    If that's the case, then I would suggest having a go playing with the iDynamic & iResolution settings, seeing what give you the best JPEGS possible. In the event that a JPEG just isn't usable, you have the RAW file that you can manipulate as you please.

After seeing just how much detail can be recovered from severely underexposed RAW files, I haven't used a JPEG since. Yes, JPEGS definitely are faster to use (just upload and you're done), however I've developed a few presets in LR that makes working with RAW files much faster, and the results are no doubt better.

6. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    I-dynamic works pretty well but I-resolution makes people look like cardboard cut outs for me. The biggest issue is Panasonic offers no raw converter with these functions.

7. palombasso

palombasso Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2014
    I've found that at least the iDynamic function also affects the EVF image so sometimes I would end up with an underexposed RAW file because the EVF was showing the lifted shadows as they would be in the JPEG.

I think it works as it should, but I haven't really decided at which setting to leave them on...I like shooting RAW+JPEG to check sharpness in camera and to have the JPEG as a starting point to the potential of the file (sometimes the JPEG still beats my import preset on Lightroom).

I just wouldn't use the iDynamic on 'high' because I think it tends to make washed out jpegs...

8. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    I don't know this for fact and it should be pretty easily testable, but it would not surprise me if iDynamic actually reduces the overall exposure to protect highlights and then pushes shadows in the processing engine. If highlights are blown they're blown but there's often detail in the shadows that can be brought out. The sensor has a finite amount of dynamic range and all iDynamic can really do is use the available DR in different ways. It just wouldn't surprise me if it effects exposure for the raw files too, if you're saving both raws and jpegs.

9. poopstick

poopstick Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2013
    Burlington Ontario
    From testing, I know iResolution and iDynamic do not affect the RAW files, but like palombasso said, the iDynamic setting is reflected in the EVF/LCD display. So, it's best to turn it off for RAW shooting.

10. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    They are excellent and useful for JPEG shooting.

These cameras are getting so competent in JPEG, that it is now a serious alternative for the enthusiast photographer who does three things:
    [1] prefers camera time (and being in the presence of the subject) to computer time,
    [2] gets an in-depth and sensitive feel for how the camera works and gets the camera settings right before shooting, and
    [3] knows what he or she wants when taking the photo.