I don't wanna sandbag.....

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Rich M, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    ..but maybe a beanbag?? :smile:

I am finding that in spite of the IBIS in the Olympus bodies, anything much over 200mm is really hard to hand hold without some motion blur.

I just picked up a 400mm lens and as the previous owner stated, "It can detect your heartbeat."

I have a quick release on the tripod collar and a lightweight CF tripod, but I am looking for something like a beanbag that I can carry in my truck that would be a little quicker or more spontaneous to get set.

Any good experiences out there?

2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi Rich, considering that 400mm lens becomes an 800mm EFL lens on m4/3rds... it's not too surprising you need some serious stability!

I don't tend to use anything over 150mm (the PL 14-150mm f3.5-5.6) so handholding has been OK for me... but yes, a beanbag (or anything solid you can lean on) should do the trick.

3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Try the Leica Mini Tripod with a Leica Ball Head.
    Very small and compact and will hold a 4 x 5 Deardorff easily.
  4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    You can get things like the Pod, but I'm not sure how good they are and you need a flat(ish) surface to put them on:

Another option is a small tripod like the Velbon Ultra Maxi-Mini, it's very versatile and very sturdy for such a small tripod (I have one):

5. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    • Like Like x 1
  6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    The only other option that I would suggest is get a monopod. I use one constantly with my 90-250mm and 1.4 extender and get sharp shots. These are fast, flexible and much lighter than a tripod.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BartonFlyer

BartonFlyer Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2010
    Bolton, UK
    Is that actually true? - just because the crop factor shows for a 400mm lens the portion that would be shown by an 800mm lens dooesn't mean it actually has functioned as an 800 mm lens - or am I mis-understanding the whole aspect-ratio, crop factor issues?
  8. DavidB

DavidB Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Ian, you're right.
    I'm sure Brian meant to say something like "[...] considering that 400mm lens has the same field of view on m4/3rds as an 800mm lens does on a full-frame 35mm body [...]". :smile:

The 400mm lens is still a 400mm lens (including for depth-of-field calculations). But it sure *feels* like an 800mm.
  9. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    i am not so sure , i think the vibrations are doubled at least the apparent speed of them,

thats how it seems to me