I dont found a cheap VF magnifier for GH2 at amazon

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Manu-4Vendetta, May 12, 2014.

1. Manu-4Vendetta

Manu-4Vendetta Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Dominican Republic
    I will shooting a short the saturday and dont found actually at amazon this piece. What happened? before had more offers.

I dont spend more thab U$45 cause recently purchased the PanaLeica and next few weeks I have to decide between the GX7 or GH4 and is much money, almost everything has been money I've gotten soft loan by bank.

This slightly exceeds my budget, look nice, but dont say if it works for the GH2, but yet with the GF1 and I think both have the same size.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HD3G6Q/ref=pd_luc_sbs_01_01_t_lh?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Another options dont have fast shipping. :(.

2. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    I wouldn't! Looks like it only attaches magnetically to a glass screen protector you have to "stick" to the LCD frame.

Not a good way to go with the GH2.

Better is this one: http://www.photographyandcinema.com/collections/lcd-viewfinders/products/qv-1-lcd-view-finder

Watch the video, it explains everything you need to know.

Fact is, all of the cheaper ones are just not suitable for mounting or use on the GH2. I used to use the Hoodman Cinema Pro Kit which cost a lot more than the QV-1 and was nowhere near as stable.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    The system really looks good especially for the price. He does not mention the quality of the magnified lcd screen. I bought one from Hoodman but the image is really poor so I was looking at the Zacuto system.

Can anyone comment on the image quality of any of the systems?

4. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    I still have a Hoodman Loupe with the 3x eyepiece, but with no mounting hardware. However it stays on the GH3 with a Manfrotto 501PL quick release plate on the camera by fitting it between the plate and bottom of the EVF frame. An easy "jam" fit that does no damage because the Hoodman body is hard rubber.

The Hoodman without the magnifying eyepiece takes a lot of getting used to. It is a 1:1 image that appears smaller and difficult for most to use for focusing, the 3x magnification makes a lot of difference. The slightly lower 2.5x on the Kamerar QV-1 is actually better for the GH2 and GH3 because the definition on their LCD's is not as fine as on the Canon's which have a finer higher def image. On the GH2 and GH3 focus can be a bit different to see as you are also looking at magnified pixels.

The GH4 is supposed to have a higher def LCD on the back.

I just grabbed my GH3 and GX7 and did a quick comparison using the Hoodman with 3x eyepiece on both and they seem to be almost identical. I have no problem "seeing" focus on either with that loupe.

Right now the only thing keeping me from ordering the Kamerar QV-1 is having a GH4 on pre-order. I'd like it for the compatibility with Manfrotto 501/507heads and 577 quick release system mounts.

5. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    I look forward to reading your comments on the GH4. I just picked up a GH3 and I have a GH4 on order. I still have time to cancel the GH4 if I can't justify the GH4 over the GH3!

6. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    Why not using the EVF? That unit just looks like it is used for DSLR where the Mirror forbid any viewfinder vision while filming.

7. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    I haven't had a chance to do much more that take a few stills and grab a video clip of my wife petting the dog, just tested basic functionality. However first impressions are WOW!

I wouldn't cancel the order but I would also keep the GH3 for "B" roll and backup, I am keeping one of the two I had. The EVF is quite improved as is the resolution on the LCD. So far I really like the GH4, there will be a bit of a learning curve with some of the new capabilities, but what the heck.

8. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    That's where the use of a viewfinder loupe started, however some people are going to prefer focusing and framing with a larger image like the loupe magnified image on the LCD screen on the back of the camera.

Where I could work with the viewfinder that was my preference, if I couldn't "see" to where I could fully trust focus and framing accuracy I would use a Hoodman loupe with the 3x eyepiece and hold it in place while I did the adjustment. It had a neck lanyard so I could keep it handy for when needed and just "drop" it when done..

My first impressions are viewing, focusing, and framing with the GH4 EVF will be easier. I've not really needed a loupe for the GH2 (when I had that), or for the GH3 but I can see where some folks would prefer using one. It's an individual and personal preference and each one of us makes our choices