I do miss making portraits... so the dogs just have to stand in

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by DHart, Jul 6, 2016.

1. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    The older of our two pups just turned 9 months and 52 lbs. today... good occasion to dust off my little-used 75/1.8 for a portrait. Taken with the GX8 (I LOVE this camera!) in our front courtyard. This is Kimber, a Staffordshire Terrier/Cattle Dog cross.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 12
  2. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    The compression of the 75mm lens is very evident here, as the depth of the image elements is much deeper than it appears. From the front barrel cactus to the wall is about 25'. Thus, the compression from the long lens packs a lot of image elements into what looks like a very flat scene, making it quite "busy" graphically. This makes the image as much about the setting as it is about the subject.

The 75mm lens has also compressed Kimber's snout, something which is typically very flattering to people, especially those with thin and/or longer noses! Dogs aren't at all concerned about how long their snouts appear, though. ;) I think she would approve of the image.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
    • Like Like x 2