I die a little inside

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ahuyevshi, Jun 3, 2013.

1. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Every time I see someone shooting with an iPad

8932075131_f784ea0b03_b.

2. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    It all depends on how you look at it. I don't see anything wrong with it. We have a tiny sensor compared to full frame. :2thumbs:

3. redalien

redalien Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Tamas
    "The best camera is the one you have with you" - I don't know who said it and if it was exactly worded this way, but it is true

4. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    Why? They're probably having fun taking pictures with something that makes it intuitive to take and share a picture with their friends and family.

5. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    I have no issues with someone using phone cameras my issue is the idiots with the ipads are usually the ones that jump in front of you as you're trying to get a shot

6. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    though i agree with the comments the other guys have said, i know what you mean...and i died a bit more when i saw those same ipads but in Patagonia. but the, who am i to say something....

7. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I just laugh.

8. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    :2thumbs: With all idiots that jump in front of you regardless of ipad or other gear.:mad:

9. Nam-in-Sonoma

Nam-in-Sonoma Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2012
    Penngrove, CA
    Nam
    Chase Javis, I don't know if he is the first one to say it but he wrote a book about it

51lyv1jtSAL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.

10. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    It's the ridiculousness that gets me - sometimes it's the only thing tourists are carrying with them, and I just think 'get a decent compact and you'll be much more flexible'. The most facepalm-y moment for me was in a church in Florence - guy with a Nikon D5100 or something hung around his neck snapping pics with his iPad. In a space that needed high ISO for decent results.

11. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

You would think they would have a phone to take the picture with. I've seen this a few times before, and in one case saw the person answer their iPhone after taking a shot with the iPad.

12. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    yeah I find it pretty ridiculous too. But, what I find more ridiculous is that they carry an ipad/tablet like it's ubiquitous - though I can't say if this is true in the picture above - notice the smaller 7" tablet behind the ipad.

You're at a freaking basketball game - enjoy the game. Did you bring your ipad thinking you can get some photo editing and some video games in-between some poorly-called plays?

People too easily depend on their phones/tablets for distraction when in reality, they should be living in the moment. In my opinion, it's a sad state of where we are now. I have a minivan and two young kids and some friends asked us - how do you get around without them watching a video?

Hello - the van has windows. Look outside. There's ALWAYS something interesting outside. My kids and I play "spot the exotic car" while driving - it's not too hard here in Orange County, CA. Today, my son saw *three* ferraris.

We also have CD's and books in the car.

/rant

13. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    A year ago I stopped to photograph an amazing, powerful, rushing river in Washington State. Others stopped to do the same thing... I grabbed a shot of them...

image-1.

With the cameras I carry with me, I never even think of using my iPad to make images. BUT, obviously, it works just fine for a heck of a lot of people... for both stills and movies!

The power in this raging, mountain-fed, springtime northwest river was mind boggling. People were stopping like crazy to get an image or a movie of this! Just the sound of it was staggering.

14. redalien

redalien Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Tamas
    I believe it has to do with the ability to instantly share with others. Wi-Fi enabled cameras are fairly recent, and low cost ones are just starting to take on, but perhaps its too late, the iAmSheep is strong in this world

15. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    this.

whatever happened to waiting?

16. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Horses for courses

17. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I think it depends on how much you depend on you iPad. Yesterday I shot some storm images away from home and had no way of showing them to my 95 year-old dad (he can't really see a 3" picture), so I down loaded them to a PC (but didn't want Dad to have to trudge into the room where the PC was) and then emailed them to myself which I read on my iPad (quite a slow process) so he could look at them on the iPad. It would have been so much simpler just to take the pictures with the iPad in the first place.

18. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    I don't mind the smartphone picture taking - I do a lot of that myself. The iPads/tablets, on the other hand, I cannot stand. They're big enough to get in the way and be distracting at events, weddings, concerts, and especially when there are many with their ipads out they start to physically prevent you from seeing whatever it is that's going on.

I'm a fairly patient guy but there's a point when it starts to feel a little inconsiderate.

19. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

I grok the simplicity of using tablets and phones to share images with the world via social media and it's driving increasing photo and video taking which is (mostly) a good thing.

Rather than blaming people for using phones and tablets I blame the camera manufacturers for not making wireless connectivity simpler, cheaper and basically easy.

They're starting to make it available but it needs to be much less 'techy' if that's ever going to catch on.

20. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    I can't stand the Tablet shooters either... My friends wedding I'm sitting there, no camera, and enjoying the wedding as I like to do. That's why they hired someone. And bang, a tablet in front of me pops up, and can barely see a thing. It's like having 2 heads infront of you. I felt like a i turned into a Rage Comic. phones fine, whatever, hell I like to shoot small tethered jpegs onto my phone on occasions. Although the quality of those images are going to look horrible and nearly unusable in 10 years, and maybe instagram will have a grungy iphone4s filter by then...