1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I didn't know what to search for, but help with Om-D focusing

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by TheCreativeD00m, Nov 9, 2012.

1. TheCreativeD00m

TheCreativeD00m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2012
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Okay, I've had the om-d for a few months now and one thing I can't figure out is how to get the focus to jump around on all focus points in the EVF

For instance on my 5d, 7d, etc. I can put focus points "all" and it will hit focus on different areas of the viewfinder. I know it has the whole touch focus thing on the back. However, when I'm on a job it looks kind of unprofessional touch screen, plus I enjoy shooting from the EVF so much more. (esp. sunny days)

If yall could point me in the right direction or give me some tips on how to do this I'd be grateful!

2. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    I don't have E-M5 but I suppose you just have to scroll the focus point selection from the settings menu or super control panel until it highlights all the focus points. I might be wrong.

3. digitaldan1

digitaldan1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Don't have mine handy right now but my guess is that you have to go to the custom menu and change your AF target settings. I'll try and get back to you with a better answer later today.

• Like Like x 1
  4. nylife

nylife Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Have you used the arrow buttons on the back to arrow the focus point over to any edge of the screen, and then pressed the same arrow again to light up all AF points?

Unfortunately, I don't have photos to describe what I'm talking about, but basically if you're using the four way arrow buttons on the back to scroll the af point around(the active AF point is green), keep scrolling in one direction until you get to the last af point in that direction and then press the button again. This should activate all the AF points (all the points should turn green), and then the camera will try to pick which af point it thinks it should use.
    As an example let's say the active AF point is the center AF point. I can repeatedly press the up-arrow to move the active point to the next af point close to the top-edge of the screen. If I repeatedly press the up-arrow, eventually I will have selected the af point at the top edge of the screen as the active point. If I press the up-arrow once more, all the af-points light green. Now when I press the shutter, the camera will try to figure out which af-point to use for focusing.

If you're having trouble envisioning what I'm describing, post again, and I'll try put up some pics or a video or something.

• Like Like x 1
  6. d2mini

d2mini Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    Fulshear, TX
    dennis
    What is the benefit to focusing this way?
    Maybe i'm misunderstanding, but it seems like you want the camera to choose what it focuses on rather than you choosing.
    Or are you just trying to move the focus point? Because that's what touching the back screen will do. It will move the focus point, focus, and take the shot all at the same time.

7. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    PA
    Here is what I do (and I *think* you want to do). I also have all touch screen functions turned off.

I have the FN2 button on the top assigned to the "[***] Home" function. This will reset the autofocus to use all AF points.

I have the movie REC button reassigned to toggle between AF and MF.

In combination with that, I have the arrow buttons on the back assigned to "Direct Function". The Left and Up buttons are not modifiable. They are as follows:

Left: choose focus point
    Up: Program modify
    Right: ISO
    Down: Drive mode (single, sequential L, sequential H, Timer, etc)

All of this lets me choose the AF mode I want and override MF very easily and without taking the camera away from my eye.

When the camera turns on, it defaults to Area AF mode. If I then hit the 'Left' arrow button, I can set a focus point with the arrows on the back of the camera. What is great, is now that I set that, if I hit the FN2 button, it will go right back to area AF mode. If I tap the FN2 button again, it will switch back to single point AF mode and keep that point I selected before.

I wrote a short post here with a picture here if you are interested.

If you have any questions about this, let me know.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tincam

Tincam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    Iowa
    Matt
    • Like Like x 1
  9. cprevost

cprevost Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    Launch SCP and find the AF Area selection. Click on it. Then click the info button on the back of your camera. You will see on the bottom left of your LCD the indication to click up or down to change the AF points used.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    AF Area selection is the one that looks like this: [...]

• Like Like x 1
  11. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I really like Olympus, stated without a hint of sarcasm.

But only Olympus can provide such a complex solution that a dozen different people solve the same problem a dozen different ways.

That said, once you've found a way that works well for you then everything is great.

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Olympus cameras have the most flexibility, but some inane default settings. Once you set them up the way you like them they can be the most versatile and flexible cameras to use. But as you say, the way they come out of the box is not so great.

I think it was a lot better in the DSLR era, when things like Super Control Panel were the default. I remember how often my peers shooting Canons and Nikons were simply unable to access simple options which even my entry-level E-System DSLR could do at a touch of a button. I think Olympus was on the right track then, before they started catering their default settings to the "lowest common denominator" (ie, the point-and-shoot crowd). They never changed the original menus and options which made the system great, they just buried them in preference to Sony-style "for dummies" menus and settings so now we experienced Olympus users have to take a bit of time on initial setup to bring our new cameras back to the way they used to be. I never really think about it because I know exactly what to change and do right from the start. However, many people are new to the system and would never know if somebody didn't tell them.

13. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    PA
    This is spot on. I love how customizable the E-M5 is. I did not love coming over from Nikon DSLR's and Panasonic m4/3 bodies to 'learn' the menu system and some of Olympus's terminology. Once I read through the manual, asked some questions and dug into it though, it controls better than any other camera I've owned.

14. clockwise

clockwise Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2012
    New York, NY
    Brian R
    For me, the easiest way to do it is pull up the focus point array (whether you get there using the super control panel, a menu, the [...] command, or whatever) and just scroll the selected focus point off the side of the display using the arrow keys or command dials. As soon as the "cursor" passes the left- or right-most focus point, it will highlight all of the points, indicating that the camera will automatically choose where to focus.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TheCreativeD00m

Jul 9, 2012
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Because its a lot quicker and my canon would pick the point i needed instead of me pushing buttons I get it to that point. If it didn't I repress the shutter half way and it refocuses.

Thank you all or the quick responses I will look at it when I get home today. The menu did take some getting used to when I first got my ep1 last year but I love them now! I just never figured out how to get all point activated thr way the camera would guess at the area I was trying to shoot like I've done in the past.

Thanks again guys! If I run into anything ill post tonight :)

16. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I only have the centre one turned on so I know where the lens will focus on, and lock the subject on that, then while half-pressing the shutter button I will reframe the shot to what I want. For me these cameras with 50 focus points are useless...you never know where the camera will focus.

Just imagine this scenerio on the beach where you go to take a picture of your wife wearing a one-colour one-piece bathing suit in the centre, and the camera instead focuses on the thong bikini clad nymph on the side of the frame causing your wife to be out of focus but the nymp nice and sharp...your wife comes running over to you wanting to look at the picture! :p

17. d2mini

d2mini Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    Fulshear, TX
    dennis
    I was starting to wonder the problem with that scenario. :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  18. TheCreativeD00m

Jul 9, 2012
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Lol I got it figured out thanks guys that's why I normally take multiple shots keep the nymph photo a secret hahaha