1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I did it. Sold my DSLR and got some m43 love...

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by gdourado, May 18, 2012.

1. gdourado

gdourado Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2012
    Lisbon - Portugal
    Hello...

Well, I did it...
    had been thinking about it for a while...
    Then a good deal came along and I sold my beloved 5D classic with the 24-105 F4L lens...
    It was a great combo, but truth be told, ever since I got my E-PL2 and Panny 20mm, the 5D had just been collecting dust...
    I had the idea of buying an OM-D EM-5 after selling my 5D, but after much consideration... I ended up buying some different kind of presents...

So, my birthday came just a bit earlier this year... :)

tw8CZ.

I got myself:
    - Thinktank Retrospective 5 (lovely bag)
    - Olympus 12mm f2
    - Panasonic 25mm f1.4
    - Olympus 45mm f1.8

So, I'm now fully committed to Micro Four Thirds... For better of for worse, I guess I am all in...
    Decided on going after the glass first and wait around to see what new cameras are still coming this year. Later I might then buy a new camera.

Thank you all for your advices on my other threads.

Cheers!

• Like Like x 9
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Congratulations on some very sweet gear!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Neon

Neon Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    North Wales,UK.
    Good on yer , i got rid of my 7D and lenses so am all 4/3 now.
    Feel good abut it.
    Anyway have fun withyour new presents.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Excellent choice!! The E-PL2 is still a great body and those lenses will expand your capabilities so much more than the E-M5, as great as it is, could ever do. And as great as the E-M5 is, it'll still be outdated and pushed aside by something new and better within years. This glass on the other hand, could still be serving you well decades later.

• Like Like x 1
  5. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    This is a great way of thinking and a brave decision. It's evident that the 5D was not your ideal camera and it was wise of you to understand and accept this. Lenses are and will always be the best investment, and what you got there is a great combo. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  6. acmatos

acmatos Mu-43 Regular

Great choice of lens!

And I love those Think Tank Retrospective bags!

After you put your E-PL" (without a viewfinder, I assume) and your 3 lenses, is there any room left for another lens or for a flash?

Regards (from Ponte de Lima).

7. acmatos

acmatos Mu-43 Regular

Great choice of lens!

And I love those Think Tank Retrospective bags!

After you put your E-PL" (without a viewfinder, I assume) and your 3 lenses inside, is there any room left for another lens or for a flash?

Regards (from Ponte de Lima).

• Like Like x 1
  8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I thought long and hard before selling my Canon gear, really struggled with the decision. Since selling it I have not missed it at all. I love the :43: form factor and find myself spending more time with my cameras. I agree with Ned - the glass makes the difference. If history holds true the price of the OMD will come down. I can wait.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  9. gdourado

gdourado Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2012
    Lisbon - Portugal
    Hello,

I have not customized the bag yet...
    Didn't have the time.
    But as a first try, I fitted the E-PL2 with the 25mm attached, the 12mm, the 45mm, an extra battery, SD cards, my fat wallet, my large smartphone, the rain cover, and a small snack (juice and cookies).

So far looks really great. Just what I was looking for in a bag.

I wanted to go out today and shoot some pics with the new lenses, but had some issues to address and didn't have the time.
    Tomorrow is Saturday, and I plan to spend a large part of the day shooting. Looking forward to it.
    The departing of the 5D is still to fresh, but after putting all I stated above and placed the bag on my shoulder, man does it feel light... :)

Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
  10. pykers

pykers Mu-43 Rookie

May 8, 2012
    Trouble Letting Go...

Thanks for sharing your story! I've been struggling with the same decision for a few months now...but I haven't been able to pull the trigger.

I've had my 5D and L lenses for a few years now but I'm using them less and less. I picked up a GF-1 about 2 years ago for my honeymoon and I honestly enjoy shooting with the GF-1 MORE than the 5D. I travel quite a bit and I like to travel light so a nice M43 kit makes sense. I'd rather have one kit that I use for everything rather than spending money on two different kits that I use here and there.

My biggest hesitation is investing several thousands of dollars into a system that has an unknown lifespan. I guess Canon could announce they are no longer making EF lenses which would be pretty much the same thing. Oh well, didn't mean to hijack your thread. Congrats on the new glass!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Congratulations!!! You got yourself a super super nice set of lenses there! I bet the 4 lenses plus camera weigh less than the DSLR + 1 lens combo!

Congrats!!

• Like Like x 1
  12. gdourado

gdourado Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2012
    Lisbon - Portugal
    I sure understand your hesitation...
    I sure struggled myself...
    Canon is well established, that is for sure, and if I did professional paid work as a photographer, namely sports, or fashion or events, I would have sticked to a DSLR. But for my personal and amateur use, m43 is just so much more convenient and practical... And I really shoot more! :)
    And Canon once went form FD to EF... Totally different I know, but the future is always a mystery...

Cheers!

13. gdourado

gdourado Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2012
    Lisbon - Portugal
    Sure does...
    E-PL2, extra battery and my four primes are lighter than the 5D with 24-105L alone on a top loading shoulder DSLR bag. :)

Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
  14. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    In fact, my feeling is that, buying into :43: is one of the safest bets you can make today. The momentum is already great, with several new bodies and lenses (now from 3rd party companies also) each year. I'd be more worried about the "future" of proprietary formats, such as the Sony NEX or Fuji X-System. So if you aren't bothered by the limitations of the design (and the only one I can think of, is that sensor size shall never change), my personal feeling is that an investment in :43: shall continue to offer advantages for the next several years.

15. pykers

pykers Mu-43 Rookie

May 8, 2012
    Good points...

Great points! Going from full frame to M43 is quite the jump, but it should be fine for my current needs. I do mostly street/travel photography. The size and weight of a M43 kits is pretty much perfect for me at this time in my photographic state...if that makes sense.

I'm inching closer and closer to the edge...I may just make the jump this weekend. I figure I'll pull the trigger on a few lenses and just use my GF-1 for a month or two so see if I really miss the 5D. If not, I'll unload all of my Canon gear and buy the OM-D + other goodies. Aren't new toys just awesome?

16. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    I also use a Retrospective 5, it fits all my gear with the bag divided in 3: GX1 with the 7-14 in the center. Then 20, 14-42X on one side and the Oly 45 + oly hood beside the lens on the other side. There's still room for the 45-175 (that I have yet to pick up from the states) if I move the Oly 45 with the other 2 pancakes. I also put a gorillapod hybrid on top, it rests on the dividers. Pockets towards the front hold the second battery, two filter cases and step-up adapters and a wired remote fit. I can also put my wallet in the back zippered pocket without a problem.

It's by no means overfilled now, but when I do pick up the E-M5 kit I'll likely have to leave a lens home, probably one of the kit lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  17. dino8031

dino8031 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2012
    Boulder, Colorado
    I did pretty much the same thing, except I substituted a 9-16 for the 12mm and bought an EM-5. I figured if I didn't like the switch I could just buy it all back. So far, so good.

Sold my 60D, 24-105, 17-55 and a set of primes. The only thing I miss is the optical view finder and the Canon menus.

Enjoy. I'm still dying to get a 12mm BTW, but the little 9-16 is no slouch.

• Like Like x 1
  18. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Awesome, congrats on some great gear. I did something similar and actually got the exact same 3 lenses this year with my bonus from work instead of buying an SLR like I had originally planned. I think you'll love them - I've been equally impressed with all three of them so far for different reasons.

• Like Like x 1
  19. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    You have one hell of a kit now :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. It still sounds like a better option than having thousands invested in a system that you aren't really using. Value for money is as much a function of the use you get out of something as it is what you could sell it for in the future.