I compared the Fuji X100s/X-T1/Olympus OMD EM1/EM5

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by gryphon1911, Mar 16, 2014.

1. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I wrote up a post over at my blog with all the details. I had a chance to run these cameras through the paces.

I went into the day wanting the X100s and walked out with the Olympus OMD EM5. I was very surprised about the m43 performance as I had never used one prior. The Fuji gear is nice and it has a lot going for it...but for what I wanted the Olympus gear was a far better fit.

http://bestlightphoto.blogspot.com/2014/03/fuji-x100s-fuji-x-t1-olympus-om-d-em-5.html

• Like Like x 3
  2. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    Went to your blog post and I'm still confused..
    So you went to the camera store & tested (ran the camera through the paces)?
    Or did you get to take all the cameras home and test them?

I know for a fact, it'll take many more than a few days to run several cameras through their paces.

& why didn't you pick the best Olympus offering of the E-M1??

3. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I'm very familiar with the cameras, have owned Fuji cameras in the past. I know what I was looking for. It may take several days to make a camera fit into your shooting style and make controlling it second nature, but it only takes me a few hours to figure out what I needed to know. I have a good working relationship with the store and they allow me to test out what I need to test. If I like what I see, I buy.

I chose the EM5 over the EM1 for several reasons. First, I liked where the controls on the camera body were placed better on the EM5. Second, I liked the smaller, sleeker body design. I plan on using this camera as a ultra light weight option. Most of the time, I'm going to be using my Nikon Df, but for times when I need to go ultra light - this with the 17 or 45/1.8 will be the one that I choose. I can put it in a coat pocket or I also have a small belt pouch that I can put the EM5 in.

I like the fact that I can also add on the additional grip and/or battery separate to give me the larger bulk if I want it. The EM1 has the shutter release further forward and the built in grip. I couldn't slim it down if I wanted to. If I were to get rid of all my DSLRs and go m43 - the EM1 would be the primary shooter.
    Last point is the price. I did not want to spend the extra money on the EM1 body, when I would rather spend it on more lenses. So far, this 17/1.8 is one of the best prime lenses I've ever used. Unbelievable sharpness at f/1.7 and for the price!! If I want that from my Nikon primes, I'm paying $1000 o $1500 for them. I was considering a PEN style body and the EP5 ticked all the right boxes except one - no built in EVF. For me an EVF/OVF is a must have.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.