1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

I compared the Fuji X100s/X-T1/Olympus OMD EM1/EM5

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by gryphon1911, Mar 16, 2014.

1. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I wrote up a post over at my blog with all the details. I had a chance to run these cameras through the paces.

I went into the day wanting the X100s and walked out with the Olympus OMD EM5. I was very surprised about the m43 performance as I had never used one prior. The Fuji gear is nice and it has a lot going for it...but for what I wanted the Olympus gear was a far better fit.

http://bestlightphoto.blogspot.com/2014/03/fuji-x100s-fuji-x-t1-olympus-om-d-em-5.html

• Like Like x 3
  2. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    Went to your blog post and I'm still confused..
    So you went to the camera store & tested (ran the camera through the paces)?
    Or did you get to take all the cameras home and test them?

I know for a fact, it'll take many more than a few days to run several cameras through their paces.

& why didn't you pick the best Olympus offering of the E-M1??

3. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I'm very familiar with the cameras, have owned Fuji cameras in the past. I know what I was looking for. It may take several days to make a camera fit into your shooting style and make controlling it second nature, but it only takes me a few hours to figure out what I needed to know. I have a good working relationship with the store and they allow me to test out what I need to test. If I like what I see, I buy.

I chose the EM5 over the EM1 for several reasons. First, I liked where the controls on the camera body were placed better on the EM5. Second, I liked the smaller, sleeker body design. I plan on using this camera as a ultra light weight option. Most of the time, I'm going to be using my Nikon Df, but for times when I need to go ultra light - this with the 17 or 45/1.8 will be the one that I choose. I can put it in a coat pocket or I also have a small belt pouch that I can put the EM5 in.

I like the fact that I can also add on the additional grip and/or battery separate to give me the larger bulk if I want it. The EM1 has the shutter release further forward and the built in grip. I couldn't slim it down if I wanted to. If I were to get rid of all my DSLRs and go m43 - the EM1 would be the primary shooter.
    Last point is the price. I did not want to spend the extra money on the EM1 body, when I would rather spend it on more lenses. So far, this 17/1.8 is one of the best prime lenses I've ever used. Unbelievable sharpness at f/1.7 and for the price!! If I want that from my Nikon primes, I'm paying $1000 o $1500 for them. I was considering a PEN style body and the EP5 ticked all the right boxes except one - no built in EVF. For me an EVF/OVF is a must have.