1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I cloud, wireless etc

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nishendu, Aug 30, 2011.

1. nishendu

nishendu Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2010
    Dallas TX
    With new apple cloud applications taht are coming soon, I wonder how the existing Micro 4/3 cameras would work. I have heard that pictures go from camera to cloud via a wireless device that (I assume) is connected to the mac book. Would I be able to use some existing devices or I would have to wait for a new model of camera? I am considering EP-3 but just when I thought I knew what I wanted, there is a new wrinkle.

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    The cloud's all wonderful and 21st century and all that, but in reality all but useless for serious photographers. How long is it going to take to upload each file or even more importantly, download them again when you need them. The cost compared to even the most expensive local hard drive is obscene. You'd be better off not reusing your SD cards. And space is limited. Even if terabytes of cloud storage were available it'd be too slow to use based on most peoples average internet connection speed.

Don't get me wrong. The cloud will become the future, just not for pictures now. Documents, yes. Photos are better off on a couple of local drives where you can get to them.

Gordon

3. rkelac

rkelac Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2011
    The E-P3 has some support for the Eye-Fi SD card which can upload pictures directly to web sites, to a computer, or to a mobile device using a wi-fi connection. The E-P3 can turn the card's wi-fi radio on or off and specify which pictures are sent.

Jpeg images upload fairly fast. Right now 25 different web sites are supported including MobileMe. I would think that iCloud will be supported. The first 5GB supposedly will be free. Free is fairly inexpensive.

I haven't tried RAW images. They'll be much slower.

4. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    This reminds me I've read somewhere, not too long ago, that SD price has become more or less equal to film price. That is, if we were shooting digital as we used to shoot film, it wouldn't be more expensive to store the SD like we stored negatives, without reusing it. Of course, people tend to shoot a lot more now, but still, it impressed me.

Cheers,

5. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    It may have been longer than you think!

Class 10 8GB SD card for £8 will hold about 1000-1200 photo's

A 3x pack of Fujifilm (108 photo's) is about the same price!

That being said, I struggle to keep my photo's organised as they are! I'd be lost if I had a few dozen memory cards filed away :redface:

6. j0sh818

j0sh818 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2011
    MO
    Been using Eye-Fi 8gb Pro x2 and it's been great. I shoot raw + jpeg and been satisfied with the speed. I configured it to upload directly to my flicker and it will notify me through email when the upload is done.

Sent from an iDevice using Mu-43 App

7. mguffin

mguffin Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2011
    Westwood, NJ
    I use the PenPal and when I get a shot I like, or want to share, I send it to my Android Phone. From there, it automatically gets sent to my Google+ Photo Album. Kind of like a cloud...?