1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I can't recover formatted images. :(

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Aegon, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I bought Light Room on Black Friday. I thought I imported 200 images after the little progress bar started working and took 30 minutes to process. Apparently whatever was going on didn't actually import the images off my SD card. Not knowing better, I put the SD card back in my camera and formatted to delete all the pictures that I thought I copied. Whoops.

So I scoured the internet to find freeware image recovery tools. I found photorec, part of testdisk, which looked very promising. Unfortunately it didn't recover the images (thought it did recover a movie).

So I got to digging deeper and used dd to see how my GH3 actually performs the formatting. As you can see, it not only removes the image from the file table, but also zeros out the image!

If anyone has recovered images from a card formatted by Panasonic, please share your success story.

(the photo shows physical addresses on the left, image before formatting in the center, image after formatting on the right. It is the result of command "cmp --verbose --print-bytes fmt-photo.dd fmt-empty.dd")

2. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
  3. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Thanks for the link Canonista. I'll give it a try tonight. I think it won't help because it looks like the format is destructive.

On one hand, I like the destructive format. If I format to destroy all evidence of my crustacean fetish, then I don't want the images ever coming back.

On the other hand, I want these images back!

:)