1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I Can't Get Rid of Micro Four Thirds

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by kschles, Jul 4, 2016.

1. kschles

kschles Mu-43 Regular

Jul 3, 2010
    Laurel, MD; USA
    Ken
    I have to get over my severe case of SSE (sensor size envy). During the past two years, I've tried several alternative systems (Fuji and Nikon), but keep coming back to M 4/3. I liked a lot about my Fuji XT10, including the film simulations which led to those great Fuji colors. I wasn't a fan of all the manual controls which so many Fuji fans rave about. The aperture ring on some lenses, the shutter speed and exposure dials? Meh. Even though the XT10 was touted as having really good focus speed, I found it generally inferior, and some lenses (35 F1.4 and 27 F2.8) were hard to work with.

I also tried a Nikon DSLR for awhile. What ? Why? Yes, I previously ditched my DSLR setup because of size and weight. I made the mistake of reading about the Nikon D5500 and some new collapsible lenses. That darn SSE kicked in again. The Nikon body was actually lighter than my EM1. The camera has a touch screen that is fully articulated. While size and weight weren't an issue, I found the whole Nikon experience to be a pretty clunky affair. Live view is poorly implemented. While the newer DX lenses were light and relatively compact, upgrading to better lenses would negate this advantage.

My biggest issue with both Fuji and Nikon was the lack of IBIS. When I was in my 20s, 30s, and 40s there was no IBIS. I got along fine. This fall I'll be turning 65, and have reluctantly come to the realization that my hands are not as steady as they used to be. With both Fuji and Nikon, I had no problems using stabilized lenses. However, when using non stabilized primes, it was very uneven. On the one hand, I'm sad that time is taking its toll. On the other hand, I'm grateful that Olympus, and to a lesser extent Panasonic, have implemented IBIS. I really need it.

If Fuji ever put IBIS into some of their bodies or offered stabilized primes as well as zooms, I might be tempted again. That probably isn't going to happen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. ddekadt

ddekadt Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2013
    Cambridge, MA
    Daniel
    Well good ;).

But seriously, the other system to try would be Pentax. Very compact and sturdy APS-C bodies, excellent IBIS, great useable design principles, small lenses (e.g. limited DA series - I used to LOVE the DA 40mm f2.8).

I left Pentax for M43 a few years ago and haven't looked back. The only camera to really turn my head in recent years has been the new 35mm Pentax K-1.

But I'm sure Oly and Panasonic are plenty good enough.

Sent from my XT1585 using Mu-43 app

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. dalto

dalto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2016
    Texas
    I have both a Canon FF kit and a M4/3 kit based around my E-M5II. The honest truth is that unless I am specifically going to do nothing but take pictures I almost always grab the Olympus. Not only is it smaller and lighter but I find it practically ideal from a usability perspective.

4. kschles

kschles Mu-43 Regular

Jul 3, 2010
    Laurel, MD; USA
    Ken
    Dalto: What lens(es) do you typically take with you when you grab your Olympus?

5. dalto

dalto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2016
    Texas
    9 times out of 10 I take my 12-40 2.8 or the 9-18 depending on where I am going.

I just bought the 14-42 EZ for when I want to travel ultra-light but I haven't tried it yet.

6. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    Multiple ownership of different camera system's seems to be the norm these days. I would suggest keep your happiness with M43 and also explore an A7Rmk2 or an A7mk2.

I shoot Canon FF, fuji and m43. All events photography I use my FF. I concur the X-t10 is not the best camera for AF. It's different than my M43 and Canon's. Perhaps look into the Xpro2 or upcoming XT2 if you want faster AF.

Variety of tools can really make things convenient.

• Like Like x 1
  7. danelkins

danelkins Mu-43 Veteran

kschles it is good that you have figured it out – many never do! a few years back I added m43 to my Canon system and used both for about 18 months then selling off my Canon. While I am hoping to complete my m43 system soon (when they make a 50-200/4 and 10mm prime) I currently use a GX8 with 14-140, 35-100/2.8, PL15, and 42.5/1.7 which I don't carry all at the same time. When my camera is hanging around my neck it weighs in less than a Canon 5Diii body only or a Sony a7ii with 28-70. With out a doubt the GX8 out performs the others in AF and the IQ matches well on anything short of poster size prints – not to mention the awesome IBIS and touchscreen focus. ut really, it's about the size and weight. Good Times!

• Like Like x 1
  8. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Sold my Nikon stuff and find that my Gx8's are a perfect fit.

9. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I'm very happy to coexist with a Nikon and Olympus set of kits. Both have strengths and weaknesses that the others cover. I've tried other mirrorless systems(Sony, Fuji, Panasonic) and none of them give me what I need like the Olympus m43 cameras and lenses.

10. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Ken, next time you start suffering from SSE, do click on this link. Visionaries | Olympus. While I don't know what you shoot, but if JAY DICKMAN is happy with M4/3, who shoots for NAT GEO, I believe the format is just fine. Think about it. If you are not a pro, what do you really do with your pictures? How large do you print? Do you need billboard size prints? Just have fun with it. Now if you were shooting nothing but hummingbirds in flight, I'd suggest to reassess. :)

In most cases, we are the weak link, not the gear. Those who pixel peep, are usually gear heads and not artists. A larger sensor camera will not turn our snap shots into award winning photos. Composition, light, subject matter trumps all the technical mumbo jumbo.

Check out the IPPAAWARD shots for 2016.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I'm just used to mu43 at this point. If it regularly disappointed me deeply I would have switched, but that is not the case. I'm more a fan of sharpness than I am a hater of noise so mu43 pushes the right buttons for me.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. kschles

kschles Mu-43 Regular

Jul 3, 2010
    Laurel, MD; USA
    Ken
    Thanks for the link. Really interesting and informative.

• Like Like x 1
  13. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Glad you like the info. Any time.

14. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Timely post. I was just admiring Fuji's green lawn again.

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    And they just added fertilizer.

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. JensM

JensM Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2016
    Oslo(ish), Norway
    As screename
    I spent a couple of years reading up on the Fujis, then Olympus brought out the Pen-F, in glorious silver...

The obvious solution to that was to buy a black GX7...

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  17. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Very expensive fertilizer...

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Ranter

Ranter Mu-43 Regular

Feb 29, 2016
    Randall
    I've only had my gx8 for maybe 6 months.

I have no intentions of getting rid of my apsc or ff canons..

But I think m43 will have a place with me for a long time.. it's become my go everywhere with me when I'm out and about..

19. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Having come to u43 from Canon FF I've had the occasional bout of SSE too. The A7Rii I had briefly was nice but the size and cost of the lenses didn't justify the IQ improvement for my needs. The cheap used XE1 I have now is enough to convince me that whatever IQ differences there are between Fuji X and u43, they're not enough to counteract the poorer usability and features of the bodies (and I put IBIS top of that list). Fuji skin tones are great though!

Net, net for me - u43 is still way more than "good enough" for 99% of what I need. As to that other 1% - well I'm just an amateur so 99% is just fine. Can't wait for the E-M1ii though!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. derelict

derelict Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2015
    My EM10 is my digital kit. I sold my Pentax DSLR stuff. I also now shoot Pentax 35mm film and a Zeiss Ercona for medium format. Totally happy with my set up. Digital can mimic film but cannot produce what Delta, Portra, and Superia is can.

With these three, I have never felt the itch to switch. I will keep the EM10 until there is a big jump in high ISO performance made. I need a fast zoom and then I am done. I have not even begin to get the most out of what I have now to worry about bigger and newer whatever.

• Like Like x 1