I can't believe I'm doing this but...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DynaSport, Aug 12, 2013.

1. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    I've decided to sell my APS-C gear and go fully M43. I didn't think I would ever do it and I am a little nervous about seller's remorse (I always have buyer's remorse whenever I buy something, so at least I am an equal opportunity kind of guy).

I just realized I wanted to go this way Sunday night when I went to a nursing home with a group from my church to sing and visit with the residents. I took my Canon for a couple of reasons, one of the main ones because I have a really nice flash I use with a diffuser to get good pictures in poor lighting. I have been at it long enough I can usually get pretty good results. But I hated carrying the big camera around. I felt it got in the way of my interaction with the residents in a way that my little M43 does not. I don't know if I could have gotten as good of shots with my mini Pen, because I don't care for direct flash and the one on the mini is pretty mini anyway. But if I sell some gear I can get a fast prime and maybe crank up the ISO and get what I want.

One reason I have been hesitant to make this move is because I still feel like the AF is better on dslrs for action photography. But I have come to realize I am doing very little sports shooting anymore. I did some HS volleyball two years ago, and that was the last sports I have shot. I decided I just don't want to hang onto to this gear for the less and less frequent sports shooting I find myself doing.

Another reason is that I love my 70-200 for portraits, which I do all along. And I have been asked to shoot a wedding, but I don't know if I will do it or not. But weddings and portraits are a small part of what I shoot and I think I can get results I am happy with even with my 40-150 with enough background separation if push comes to shove, until I can get the 45 or 75 I want.

My camera is worth next to nothing, but I have a couple of lenses that should bring me a few hundred dollars that I can put toward some of the M43 lenses I really want.

I haven't sold anything on eBay in years, so I've got to figure out what the best way to do it is. Buy Now or not. Free shipping or not. I guess the only way to get paid is PayPal, so I've got to figure out how they get me the money. Simple stuff all, I'm sure, but I don't have any experience with it.

Sorry for the long post, I'm just rambling because I can't believe I'm doing this.
  2. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Goodluck on your move!

Why not sell your stuff on this forum. Great Buy and sell section. :smile:
  3. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Here's something that will soothe your fears: In digital, just about any gear you have, if you sell it, and find out later that you wish you had kept it, down the road you can probably buy the same item second hand for less than you sold it for previously. If you do the transactions too close together - you'll probably lose ebay's vig, but that's all. And if some time elapses the price will likely drop by even more than ebay's cut.
  4. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    I think you are doing the right thing. In fact if you had said that you were going to sell all your M43 gear and stick to APS-C I would still think it is potentially the right move.

My philosophy is to stick to 'one system' and buy the best lenses that you can afford. This to me makes far more sense than spending the same money on two systems and two not very good sets of lenses.

Essentially you only have one body instead of two - with bodies depreciating rapidly. And the plusses of having a really good set of lenses will almost certainly make up for the features you 'prefer' in the other system.
  5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I've almost replaced my APS-C gear, but am keeping a few items specifically for action. Like the OP, I don't shoot sports much any more, but I do got to auto or motorcycle races from time to time, and my Canon DSLR with 70-200 + a TC meets a need that m43 can't meet, yet.

My new GH3 may be good enough in terms of AF, but I haven't really had a chance to test it in that use yet. And there's really no lens that matches the 70-200 2.8 with a 1.4x or 2x TC.

But shooting racing is the only time I expect I'll pull my Canon gear out of the closet.
  6. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Though I've said repeatedly I don't want to/will not sell off the Canon full frame gear, I just realized I have shot the 5DII exactly twice in the past 15 months - a wedding I was asked to shoot (and shot the E-M5 in parallel) and once at a festival. And I wonder whether it's worth the investment I still have in the system. I love the images (they're better than the E-M5's with the 35L and 135L), but the reality is the gear is just too big for traveling with. Since the 35L is the lens I'll probably miss most, I'm thinking of adding a Fuji X100s for my '35mm needs' and lower light/higher ISO performance (not thrilled by what I see from the 17/1.8, for instance), at least until someone comes out with a more affordable FF compact (RX1 is too expensive and doesn't tick all the boxes) or FF mirrorless system.
  7. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm still with two systems as well, for the same reason. I thought I'd ditch the DSLR, but it is worth so little that I now plan to keep it until it dies.

I am sure I will never have two "complete" systems again, but splitting them into action/sports and everything else provides the highest value for me at the moment.
  8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I finally bit-the-bullet and sold my Canon 40D when I realized that I wasn't reaching for it anymore. I have never looked back or regretted that decision. I've purchased several fast primes and they made a huge difference for me, especially the 25mm f1.4. :cool:
  9. gnb40

gnb40 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    I don't want to turn this into a "how to" on eBay, but if you have any questions feel free to PM or email me. Since it's Canon equipment, I would try selling it on POTN or FredMiranda's site first. POTN is free, FM is $4.95 monthly for the for sale board (you can get just one month). You'll need Paypal either way. Keep in mind, selling on eBay costs about 13% when you add in the Paypal fees.