I can only have 1 prime.

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Gncarv, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Gncarv

Gncarv Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2015
    Gonçalo Carvalho
    Hellow fellows im dabling Internet for somme time now searching for this andar cant find this anywhere.. If i can only have a prime allround lens what should it be?
    Kinda torned for olympus 25mm 1.8 (283€) or Panasonic 25mm1.4(330€) or olympus 17mm 1.8(arround330€) my prefered photos is candids and street photo.. Love bokeh.. Kinda tested 25mm and 17mm and the 25 provided more keepers for me.. Damn i need Help.. Lol btw i have oly omd em 10

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Panasonic 15mm f1.7 or Olympus 17mm f1.8.

25mm is going to give more subject isolation with more bg blur, but I find it too restrictive as an "all-around". I have both the 15mm and 25mm f1.8 and I almost always take the 15mm if I can take only one at a time.

3. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I'm an EM10 user with the 25mm... I have the f2.8 version of the 17mm too, but I've been sticking with just the 25mm lately. It's definitely very versatile and images just look good. The 17mm is also a great field of view though, especially for landscapes.

Many people say the 25mm field of view is easier to learn than the 17mm.

4. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I prefer the 25. I have the Pana 20 and maybe I still find it a little to wide, but the lens is very small.
    If you have the kit zoom you can do some tests.

5. kreegah bundolo

kreegah bundolo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2013
    Sweden, north of the dalälv
    Johan
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    They're all fantastic lenses. The 15mm or 17mm is probably going to be more useful if it's your only prime however none of them are going to have enough isolation to really get much "bokeh" if any at all unless the subject distance is tiny (in which case perspective distortion makes them somewhat unflattering for pictures of people, ymmv).

It's worth mentioning the Panasonic 14mm and 20mm as they're very small and hard to beat for their size and are also in the ballpark of focal lengths. Personally if I were to go with a single prime I would go for the Olympus 45mm f1.8, it's a fantastic cheap lens and while it isn't suited to many kinds of photography I believe it functions best where the kit lenses are weakest (the long end). The wide end of basically any kit zoom is generally pretty good and I dislike overlapping focal lengths too much (means I need to carry more).

7. Gncarv

Gncarv Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2015
    Gonçalo Carvalho
    I tried already the 25 and the 17 olympus.. I liked them both, the problem with the 17 is the lack of bokeh..and i find easier to compose with the 25 but everyone advices me to get the 17... The diference is 50€ and then u have the pl 25 1.4 used the same price or more 50€ than the oly 25mm one

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    You said you got more keepers with the 25. I think the Oly 25/1.8 is your best bet, and it's a perfect match for your camera. That would be my choice for a one and only prime.

9. Gncarv

Gncarv Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2015
    Gonçalo Carvalho
    And the panasonic leica 1.4 inst worth the 50 dolars diference?

10. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    First, you need to choose what your favorite focal length is. Whether that's the PL15, O17, or PL/O25. If it's the 15 or 17, then you have your answer. If it's 25, then decide whether you want a smaller, cheaper lens or if the f1.4 advantage is worth the extra money and larger size.

It sounds to me like you prefer the 25 focal length though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Gncarv

Gncarv Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2015
    Gonçalo Carvalho
    I come from a c sensor nikon a d5100 and my glued lens on that camera was the nikon 35mm F1.8 so is about 50 on ff

12. Gncarv

Gncarv Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2015
    Gonçalo Carvalho
    Klorenzo tks mate i had already read all of that what it says is that it isnt worth the full price diference. But im talking abou 50dolars, diference.. Is olympus lens better for a olympus body?

13. Gncarv

Gncarv Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2015
    Gonçalo Carvalho
    Also one plus of oly 25 is focusing closer, adding to its "allroundiness"

14. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I have both the O17 and O25. I prefer the O17 but if you have or around young kids or take a lot of portraits I would go with the O25.

15. lomomentum

lomomentum Mu-43 Regular

Hmmmm. O17 edges the P25 for me. But only just. Open the wallet wider and get both. :)

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    I'll take the 25 1.4 with the extra light gathering capabilities.

17. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I think the Pana is a better lens. But the difference is small. If size and a little weight are not a problem maybe it's worth.
    I think should be nicer to to use, to manual focus, etc. being bigger. And looks better too :)

For the minimum focus distance you can always level that aspect just cropping a little. (EDIT: ok, ok, you can crop the Oly too...)

For Pana lenses on Oly body if you shoot jpeg there could be a few differences, the only one I can remember is that Oly does non apply CA correction to Pana lenses (and the opposite too BTW). If you shoot RAW there should be no differences.
    Then there should be a generic "better testing" for matching elements, for example with the P20 there were banding problems at high iso and probably slower AF on Oly bodies. But that was one of the first lenses of the system, I've not read anything like that about any other lens.

If this was going to be my main lens I'd be willing to spend a little more. The E-M10 with either lens is not going to be small anyway, it depends on how you plan to carry it around if size matters.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  18. Gncarv

Gncarv Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2015
    Gonçalo Carvalho
    Both is impossible cant justify it to the whife.. But 80%of all the people i talk too recomends the 17.. But the 25 clicks more in my eye..the thing with oly25 is that it looks and feels cheaper..the oly 17 seams more "a lens" then 25 .. The pl25 probably will feel more of a lens than 25 oly..i recently went in a photo walk in Lisbon with olympus ppl and had the chance to try somme lenses . The prime 75mm1.8 is very good lens but tooo tele, the olympus 25 stood the most time on my machine, and the 17 also got somme attention , i kinda like the 17 but i just got more photos from the 25..i dont know.. I just look at a sceene pick the camera and shoot and the photo looks what i think..dont know if im making me clear.. The thing that make me take the 17 from the camera whas the lack of the bokeh... I like runing the streets and capture some portraits of random preaty people, i like bokeh.. Sooo million dolar question should i go to the 25 or skip it and go for the 45?... Dang so many questions on my head... Dam i need money.. Id buy 1 of each

19. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Forget what people tell you. Focal length is a purely personal choice. You like 25mm. Between the two 25s is a tough choice. I'd choose the Olympus for the size and fact that it matches your camera, but both are great and work perfectly with your EM-10.

• Agree Agree x 4