1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I can get a huge lot of Konica AR stuff.. should I?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Christopher, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Christopher

Christopher Mu-43 Regular

Oct 8, 2011
    Toronto
    Here's from the ad...

"FS1 Body, T3 Body, TC body- all are good condition & all working.AR OEM lenses- 28mm F3.5, 40mm F1.8 pancake, 50 F1.7, 57mm F1.4 ,135mm F3.5, 200mm F3.5,all in excellent cosmetic & working order. Vivitar 85mm-205 zoom for Konica Ar & matched 2X teleconvertor. Konica original extension tube set & case. 2 konica 28mm metal hoods. Cash only, $350 price firm."

I have bolded things of interest, I figured I could sell the rest.. but even at 350 for 6 lenses that's not bad.. what do you think? Would you?

2. Dan Ka

Dan Ka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2011
    Northeastern Ohio
    No, don't. Instead send the name, address, phone#, email address to me, so I can save you from committing this dastardly deed. In my safe keeping, I will protect you from using this fantastic... err terrible equipment.:cool:

In all seriousness, I would jump w/ both feet. Almost had a similar deal with only 3 lenses (28, 50, 135) and 2 camera bodies for $1000, but, I didn't jump.:frown:

3. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I don't think I would..the 28 isnt that useful and then there are a bunch of lenses with similar focal lengths (how many short portrait lenses do you need?) when you can buy a 50 1.8 and adapter cheap.

150$ for the Oly 40-150mm and 200$ towards the new Oly 45 1.8 would be better spent imho to get AF and modern lens technology.

4. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If all are in excellent condition then I would go for it. The 50mm 1.7 is great lens. The T3 is the best camera Konica made.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Hellz to the yeah!! Konica AR lenses were one of the best collections for 35mm film. The teleconverters and extension tubes are a little rarer, and a great find. The lenses you bolded are the ones I would also be interested in.

The metal hoods though... 28mm? Most Konica AR lenses have a 55mm thread... weird. Not sure which lenses those would fit on. Unless he meant hoods FOR the 28mm lens, in which case the same hood should fit all your AR lenses with 55mm filters (which will probably be all of them, lol).

6. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I would (and did) go for a similar garage sale bundle recently. After trying out some of the equipment you can sell off the items you don't need and come out okay.

7. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Well, let's break it down into approximate lens values (I may be being a bit conservative, they might go for more):
    28mm $30
    40mm $60
    50mm $40
    57mm $80
    135mm $35
    200mm $80

It's a lukewarm deal, but it isn't a jump-on-it-before-it's-sold deal. The matched teleconverter is a Vivitar one if I'm reading the ad correctly, so not that amazing. The hoods are useful, but you can always pick up metal hoods on ebay for cheap. If it were $250, I'd say pounce right now. At $300, both you and the seller are getting fair prices. At $350, I'd wait, unless you know that you can sell of the camera bodies for a solid amount, to bring the price down.

If you want better, pick up a few "keeper" lenses rather than many mid-quality ones. Get a 24mm f/2.8, 57mm f/1.4, 135mm f/2.8.

Modern lens technology which gives plastic build, sorry aperture performance (even against these "introductory-level" f/3.5 lenses), and mediocre image quality? Konica lenses have been the Japanese standard for image quality for many years. If you put the pure image quality of any of these lenses up against a micro 4/3 lens, you're going to go to bed a sad panda tonight. Plus, those lenses you mentioned together cost $700 if you were to go buy them today, maybe as cheap as $550-$600 if you try to find a deal on the 40-150.

• Like Like x 1
  8. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Am I the only one that thinks $350 is a bit steep? In Europe I wouldn't pay more than € 250 for this set, probably closer to € 200. In the US this might not be really overpriced, but it doesn't look like a great deal either.

You'd have to check carefully if the rubber light seals and the mirror dampers of the cameras are OK. Mostly they are deteriorated and are sticky or pulverized and you need to get that fixed to use them. Here in Holland I paid € 40 per camera for that, and that was 5 years ago. That means in practice that old cameras have hardly any value; I generally pay € 20 at most and that was for an otherwise perfect Minolta XD7, a premium model (a total of € 60 for an XD7 and MD Rokkor 50/1.4 ø49mm). I never buy camera bodies without a lens; selling them off without lenses could be less successful than you think.

I think you'd be better off looking for the specific lenses you'd like to have, Konica or otherwise.

Edit: during my computer's crash shnitz beat me to it by reacting sceptically as well :smile:.

• Like Like x 1
  9. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Naa, not in my opinion. There are really only 2 lenses in that list worth getting and they are not worth paying the price for all and the hassle of reselling the rest, assuming you are able. I suspect that is why he is selling it as a bundle instead of separately.
    You can get the lenses you need for less.

10. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    He's too close to what they will sell for if it's parted out. Buy with your brain and not with your heart. I'd offer $250 if you're really in love with the lot, but no one will buy that collection of stuff at that price. You can't part it out and make any money after fees are taken out. That's just my 2 cents worth.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dan Ka

Dan Ka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2011
    Northeastern Ohio
    Being a Konica user for 40 years my opinion may be a bit jaded. As Schnitz pointed out the lenses are worth about $325. Add in the extension tubes, if they are the Konica AR set which it sounds like it is, $40; the Vivitar 2x teleconverter $10. The FS1 body is still useable as an excellent film camera as it takes 4 AA batteries for the autoloader, autowinder, and TTL metering, add $25 for it. The T3 and TC bodies are basically now manual cameras their metering depends on 2 mercury oxide battery cells. Zinc-air bateries could be used but a spacer is needed and the batteries will only last about a month and their expensive(from experience). So my guess is the package is worth about $400. I would buy it for MY use, but, not as an investment to resell parts because the worth of the non-highlighted pieces in the OP isn't worth more than $50.

12. Good if want to save time searching for lenses individually, but I'd agree that the price is probably a bit on the high side. It sounds like a lot of stuff but there's nothing particularly valuable in there.

13. Christopher

Christopher Mu-43 Regular

Oct 8, 2011
    Toronto
    thank you everyone for your advice.. i was unsure (more leaning towards passing) and you guys helped me.. I decided to pass on it.. It's more fun finding different lenses anyways opposed to obtaining a large number all at once.. I picked up a 50 1.8 Oly OM today for $30 in perfect shape to replace my plastic Nikkor one. Also grabbed a Pentax 25mm f1.4 CCTV which has a really good reputation, will make for a nice fast wide angle :) I Will post up reviews when my adapters arrive.

14. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Actually that will make for a nice fast Normal lens. With the 4/3 crop factor, a 25mm lens is equivalent to a 50mm on a full frame, 135 film camera.

15. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    I would be careful because this guy had three different listings using the same photo.. all on Craigslist in Toronto.

Caveat Emptor.

• Like Like x 1