1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I can finally rest now

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by dcisive, Apr 13, 2010.

1. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    and just take pictures. I got a GF-1 in today to evaluate against my PL1. I won't bore you with all the details as it is posted in 3 parts on the www.dpreview.com site. Basically the long and short of it is that the GF-1 does NOT handle noise as well as the PL1 (by at least a stop or MORE), resolution is just about dead even, but color rendition is in another zip code from RAW. Considerable manipulation is needed coming from RAW in the GF-1 where as coming from ORF into Studio puts you 98% THERE. The overall tonal balance is superior. My wife assisted me in this evaluation blind and each time picked the PL1 as the preferred output. Oh well. The GF-1 is a nice build and I did really like that kit lens of theirs, but alas it's on it's way back tomorrow. Now I can concentrate on the reason I got this thing. I also use the 20mm f1.7 and 45-200OIS Panasonic lenses which are just sweet! I recently added a 17mm f2.8 mft Zuiko as the price drop made it nuts not to have one. Other than that I'm all set finally. :happy-084:

2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Your wife is amazing... one decision you made right first time! :rofl:

Cheers

Brian

3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
  4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Lee, would you please thank your wife for us:flowers_2: - and give yourself a big pat on the back for determination!:hail::friends:

5. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    i think the epL1 Iq is a bit better than my ep1 too, technology marches on

after all, it`s the third iteration of the pen type from olympus .... cant wait to see what olympus has up their sleeve for the next pen

6. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    I can't wait for the 'kitchen sink edition' Pen... hope they do something radical!

Cheers

Brian

7. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Your experience matches mine. I had the opportunity to testdrive a GF-1, and I prefer my ep-1 no contest when it comes to what matters : pictures. I won't deny there are things in the GF1 layout and ergonomics that are very appealing, but Olympus has been making images for nearly a century, and it shows. As you say in english, the proof is in the pudding.

8. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    Yeah guys, I've kept her around now for 29 1/2 years. Longer than anything (or anyone) else. So that says something. She has an eye and immediately stated "Is THAT the cam cam" (her pet name for the PL1) and I said first what is your impression between these two images. It was straight out of the RAW, and she said "the colors are accurate and it just looks like exactly what I see when I look out our window". With the GF1 files she said it looked overly bright and washed out. So I adjusted in Adobe RAW and she still said that the Oly had some colors right that the GF-1 couldn't get right. Game OVER..........especially when I saw noise creeping throughout the image on the GF1 and not on the Oly. :tongue:

9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Moved to 'This or That' forum. I'd like to keep all cross-brand body comparisons in this forum so that members who want to avoid cross brand comparisons can simply skip this one forum.

As for your being at rest, congrats! Glad you've found some peace :smile:.

For prospective buyers who come across this thread later, however, I feel that I should comment on this statement which you made:

This statement is explainable on the basis of either processing methods (choice of RAW converter), in-camera JPEG comparison, or exposure mismatch (based on differences in how the companies assign nominal ISO values and utilize autoexposure) but is not supported by rigorously performed comparisons of the RAW data.

There is close to a 1.5 stop difference between what Olympus calls ISO 800 (measured as ISO 467 by DxOmark) and what Panasonic calls ISO 800 (measured as ISO 1184 by DxOmark). A similar difference exists at all nominal ISO values. Because of this difference in manufacturer terminology and the Oly JPEG engine, many people get a false impression that Olympus is doing better at high ISO.

DxOmark recently published their analysis of the E-PL1, and as expected, it handles noise no better or worse (at the RAW level) than any other MFT camera which shares the same sensor (G1/GF1/E-P1/E-P2). Those who shoot RAW and process in Lightroom/ACR/C1/Aperture etc will not find a difference in noise handling between these cameras other than the "placebo effect" provided by the differences in nominal ISO values.

All that said, the E-PL1 is (IMO) the better choice for low-light, handheld photography, because it can stabilize the Lumix 20/1.7 :wink:.

• Like Like x 9
  10. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Thanks Amin,

people will be amazed that we can run a forum where people can express opinions without being shot down in flames :smile:

In the end, it has to be about the joy of photography that holds this community together - with equal respect to everyone and at every level of expertise.

I think this place is very special :friends:

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 7
  11. tpitch14

tpitch14 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2010
    PA
    Comments like the ones above are the exact reason that a relative beginner to the hobby, such as myself, decided to join here. While I may browse the 'other' forum(s), I knew this would be the one to ask my questions and share my experiences without fear of harsh criticism!

• Like Like x 4
  12. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Agreed. It is so common to find strong brand or product statements resulting in bitter and unpleasant fighting.

What I like about the original post in this thread is that he is now ready to focus on the photography as opposed to the gear. He found the right camera for his needs.

It's fascinating how we interact with our cameras. In terms of output in RAW, which is how I work, I find little difference. But in terms of interface, and the speed at which I can change settings intuitively, I find the GF1 far superior. These are the factors which allow me the best chance to get the shots I desire.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
  14. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    I am a user of both the Panasonic G1 and GF1 cameras and have no experience with the Olympus :43: offerings (although I am a satisfied user of the Olympus E1).
    I have concerns about the white balance colour temperatures that are recorded by my raw software of choice (Bibble pro 5) and I'm thinking of reading up (once again) about white balance and running a series of tests where I manually set the colour temperature and see the effects that has on the digital negative out of the camera.
    I seem to need to adjust the white balance on GF1 digital negatives much more so than has been my experience up until now (Olympus E10 and E1) when shooting in raw.
    Barrie

15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Thanks Brian and everyone. I hesitated to even write what I wrote, not wanting to be contentious... but I think that it's healthy for us to share information this way. A lot of the difference comes down to personal workflow preferences. Prospective buyers who work with my workflow (Lightroom-based) may find value in what I wrote, whereas those open to using Oly's RAW software may be glad to learn from the OP that Studio gives the same great (IMO) color as their in-camera JPEGs plus the advantages of RAW.

16. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    There seems to be a near religious following both here and on other forums for Lightroom. I have no experience with that program whatsoever other than having been told it's basically like having Photoshop Lite with a "workflow based" design to it. It just seems that folks using it and the GF1 in particular, get amazing results, where as I don't have it, and relied entirely on Photoshop to decode the RAW. It wasn't real pretty, and as a result was quite far off of what I'm used to seeing from that camera. I DO know from my testing that at the pixel level from RAW the two cameras are near dead on with each other (other than that discrepancy I mentioned about the ISO's. Oh well. I just might have to pony up for Lightroom one of these days. IT's that or Photoshop CS5. Not sure which would be better for me. The CS5 upgrade would only cost me $199 where I believe the Lightroom is about $250.

17. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I love this forum because you can express your opinions without having as a result a religion war, unlike other forums unfortunetly.:2thumbs:

18. andyw

andyw Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK
    I recently sold my GF1 which was a very hard thing to do as i loved it dearly! I just keep looking at the E-P1 and thinking 'now that is a stylish camera' which makes me want one. Usually style over shadows the performance but i think maybe....hopefully from what people have said so far it will live up to the hype.

There's only one way to find out i guess! Gotta buy one!:biggrin:

19. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Andy, it's the best time to pick up an E-P1... good luck finding a bargain!

I forgot the EVF to my E-P2 the other day (left in the car) - and couldn't be bothered to walk the half mile back to the car for it... the LCD on the E-P1 is quite adequate for framing, even in bright conditions so the E-P1 is quite a bargain really. The EVF is brilliant, but if money is tight, the E-P1 is still a classic imho.

Cheers

Brian

20. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Not sure whether you've made a decision or not, but Lightroom is the only way to go. I have CS4 and Lightroom, as well as Capture One 4 and Lightroom really is the bees knees for RAW adjustment and conversion. I used to love Capture One, but they are chronically slow with updates, whereas Adobe just rolls out one after the other when we get new cameras etc and the support base is huge.

Get Lightroom before you consider PS. PS does everything that Lightroom can do, but it's one shot at a time, whereas Lightroom is RAW processing on steroids. The integration of Lightroom and PS, however, allows you to jump from a RAW processed image straight into further effects, if that's your bag.

Cheers

Ray