I broke the E-M1 Mark II LCD Screen Hinge

mrvo

Mu-43 Rookie
I was doing some studio shoot with the camera on a big tripod and while adjusting the leg, it tipped while the screen was all the way out. I managed to catch the tripod fall but it was too late. Now the hinge looks like this, I can't close it. The LCD itself and tiny data cable are fine, just the hinge plate is bent outward.

Do you think Olympus can repair just the hinge or it might be the entire screen assembly?

IMG_4928.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

IMG_4929.jpg

IMG_4930.jpg

IMG_4931.jpg

IMG_4932.jpg

IMG_4933.jpg

p.s the closest part I found is this rotate hinge for the E-M10 Mark II, not sure if both share the same part though, both are 3" LCD.

htb1eigkkhwybunjy1zkq6xggpxaw-jpg.759777

nvm I opened the hinge cover and discovered that the fall dislocated the rotating shaft and broke its plastic. I put the shaft back and the cover back and the screen can now be safely closed, for now... Unless I can straighten the plate without damaging the cable. Still not sure if the hinges are the same between the E-M10 Mark II and E-M1 Mark II??

IMG_4936.jpg
IMG_4934.jpg
IMG_4937.JPG

Attachments

• HTB1EIgkKhWYBuNjy1zkq6xGGpXaW.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 851
  • HTB1rwDfKb1YBuNjSszhq6AUsFXap.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
If it had been an older camera you could go to Luton Cameras or similar and ask for a price for the parts you need. The chances are that there will be a subtle difference with the E-M10 hinge.
Being an E-M1 Mkii, certainly best to ask Olympus to fix it, and check it over at the same time, in case there is other damage.

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
This is off-topic but weirdly that listing doesn't show up in the Trade Me app for me :confused-53:
Is it the search term you are using? I see it searching for Olympus in digital cameras, but notice the listing does not have camera in the title.

mrvo

Mu-43 Rookie
I managed to straighten the hinge plate flat a bit which does help closing the screen. It’s just the shaft no longer intact and the hinge cover that has a screw is broken.

7DE8A5DC-0C6F-413A-B154-E57DA820F27C.jpeg

1F9F2859-EC2F-4B23-99F3-ACDE41E113E2.jpeg

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Why not ask Olympus for a quote? Unless it's repaired it's bound to come off at a latter date. The E-M1 II still retails for a decent price so it's worth it IMO.

mrvo

Mu-43 Rookie
Why not ask Olympus for a quote? Unless it's repaired it's bound to come off at a latter date. The E-M1 II still retails for a decent price so it's worth it IMO.

I'm going to, it's just a temp fix for now, I'm in Vietnam at the moment and the way they work apparently is I gotta go through their ADs then the ADs will pass it to Olympus headquarter in Ha Noi, funnily since they moved production to Vietnam I'd have thought they have some sort of dedicated repair centre with good service around here.

mrvo

Mu-43 Rookie
Can confirm they are the same part. The AD repairman here took the liberty and replaced the E-M5 Mark II hinge in, they are identical, cost me 100 bucks.

LostViking

Mu-43 Rookie
Frightening looking damage,
Not too painful solution.

As a noob to Olympus, I'm encouraged by their solution.

Let's all hope OM Digital follows the same path.

Latest threads

Top Bottom