I bought a GX7!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by pdk42, Dec 29, 2014.

1. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I've been an Oly user for years now, having ran an E-PL5, E-P5, E-M5 and E-M1 at various points (I know, I'm a gear churner!), but I found myself back down to 1 camera (E-M5 -I love that little thing) and the close out deals on the GX7 were just too much to resist. I've almost bought a GX7 a few times before - I love the rangefinder form-factor and yet still have an in-built EVF. The lack of an integrated EVF led me away from the Pens.

So, now I can't wait. It'll be interesting to see how my brain copes with a different UI/menus etc.

• Like Like x 2
  2. tino84

tino84 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2013
    hi, good choice! :)
    I think gx7 is a very good camera, I'm shooting with my preferred conf, a sort of "A" setting with manual iso, and then convert raw to jpeg, and it's easy I don't change a thing, no contrast or saturation, anything untouched with good/normal light (obviously something I have to correct if I shoot at night concerts). And printings are...well simply beautiful. So I think gx7 is a better camera than olympus epl5, but menus... I still cannot realize how bad are... everybody told me olympus is a mess, panasonic is better with menus, but I think panasonic are messy. Anyway, you can set your gx7 as you wish, so for me, it has becomed a little problem. enjoy it!

3. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    Out of interest. When in Manual mode is the EVF WYSIWYG? On the G6 this only applies for A and S and not in manual so interested if this is the case with the GX7

4. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    Congratulations, I've replaced an E-PL5 & G5 with the GX7 recently and have no regrets. It a camera that fits my shooting style, usually in aperture prority and make adjustments when necessary. I myself have no issues with the menus, I suppose I'm use to it by now using previous Panasonic M4/3 cameras. Also I have found the IBIS works well too.

5. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    I've had my GX7 for a couple of months now and having learnt enough of the menu for my needs, I can switch between olympus and panasonic with relative ease (still have the EM5 and EP5).
    Several endearing features, like the in-built EVF, electronic shutter, when required, dedicated AF/MF button, but in my opinion the histogram is comparatively useless in live view. Also I'm not sure I like the arrangement for exposure compensation from an engineering standpoint. Having had the rear dial replaced on the Pen, the GX7 seems to have a further failure mode having a rear dial that both turns and operates as a switch.

6. damienr8

damienr8 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 12, 2014
    Agreed! I was surprised to see how well IBIS works (not as great as the EM-1 but good none the less), especially with legacy minolta lenses. What a fantastic all around package in a camera. Seriously awesome!

7. scott2hot

scott2hot Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2012
    west yorkshire
    scott
    I know you shoot raw..so you made a good choice! liking mine more day by day and as i sold you your original e m5...glad you are still enjoying it.
    For me feel in hand is much nicer on GX7...as i never gelled with e m5 ,looks or handling..enjoy
    Got mine for a steal , which makes it even better.

8. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    If you need a spare battery, check out wilkinsons ebay, they have for sale the BLE9E for £15 post free. It's physically and electrically compatible, differing only by capacity, 940mAh c.f 1020, so 92% capacity for fraction of the cost.

9. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Hi Scott - yes, still running your old E-M5. I really love that camera. Glad you get on better with the GX7.

10. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Thanks Steve - I'll need a couple os spare batteries I'm sure. How do you find battery life compared to the E-M5?

11. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I just got mine today, and have been playing with it a little bit. The size and weight difference is noticeable coming from the GX1, but I don't imagine it will be difficult to get used to. The EVF is nice to have, but even the sharper LCD on the back makes a bit difference in usability and enjoyment. The focus peaking with my manual lenses is nice as well, especially with picture-in-picture magnification that also works with peaking - I think once I train myself with this it will help a lot.

Whether it's the IBIS or the improved stability of mashing my face into the EVF (or both), I can definitely handhold stable shots at much, much slower speeds. Using an adapted 50/1.4, sharp shots at 1/13s are not out of the question - that impressed me! I might get the accessory eyecup for a little bit improved comfort.

I also think the grain at ISO 3200 is quite pretty. Not that far off the GX1's at ISO 1600 at a glance. 3200 was as far as I would ever push my GX1, so we'll see if I can get usable ISO 6400 out of the GX7. That would extend its usage envelope tremendously, and especially with the IBIS and a fast prime, I'd be happy to push it into service in pretty dark environments (even darker than my dimly lit office, at the moment...ahem).

I'm also really excited about silent shutter mode. And the tilt-y screen. And the intervalometer! And manual flash mode! Ooh, and the tripod mount that doesn't block the battery door.

It hasn't instantly grabbed my love, but I think it suits me well as a larger body, and is a pretty significantly upgrade from the GX1. I might try transferring my little hot-shoe thumb grip over from my GX1 and see if that helps it balance with my heavier manual lenses better, which I'll likely be using exclusively with this body now.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Considerably less time 'shooting' compared to the EM5 or EP5, which share the same battery. Maybe 200 shots between battery changes for the GX7. It depends on so many variables, such as do you switch off and on, or let it sleep, I'm not sure which is best. The BLE9E have slightly less capacity, but it's a no brainier in terms of cost, £15 compared to £45 (or more) per battery.
    I purchased mine second hand on the 'olympus' forum, at a reasonable price, so treat if as my go anywhere camera.
    I'm sure you'll enjoy it Paul, but I would be interested to read about your thoughts about the histogram once you have it in hand.

13. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    I like my GX7 so much I purchased a second body. I also bought one for my wife for Christmas along with the new "collapsible" 35-100 zoom. The prices were very reasonable over the holidays. The main configuration change I made was assigning the shutter speed to the top dial and aperture to the rear dial. Enjoy your new camera.

14. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Yes, focus peaking and picture in picture are really good. Another thing worth mentioning, to add balance to the discussion, I find I need to tilt the rear screen before attaching a tripod head, otherwise there's a risk of crushing the screen bezel - there's a thread on this.

15. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    It is if you have CONSTANT PREVUE set to ON. But in Manual exposure modes only. I don't have mine in front of me so you'll have to search the menus.

16. biomed

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    I use an Arca-Swiss type quick release tripod head with a Kirk PZ-130 camera plate.

This allows plenty of room to move the LCD when the GX7 is mounted on the tripod.

17. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    • Like Like x 1
  18. biomed

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
  19. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    congrats, lovely camera. let us know how it works for you after a few days of taking pictures!

20. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I've had so many Pany and Oly bodies during the 5+ years I've been shooting m4/3. We've had such a wild flurry of bodies come and go.

After getting the GX7, I let all but one of my Oly bodies go. I still keep the EP5 with VF4 around for that amazing viewfinder. But I rarely use the Oly.

I'll go far out on the limb to say that in my opinion, Pany has realized the all-around pinnacle m4/3 camera... achieving the objective ideals of this format: small and light weight with great ergos and feel-in-the-hand, yet full featured and highly capable. And like any other camera you can name, it isn't perfect. But it is magnificent.

If I were to have only one m4/3 body, regardless of cost, today that choice is easily the GX7. I can't wait to see what the successor to the GX7 is. Perhaps it might incorporate some more manual controls like the amazingly well received LX100 has?

I really enjoy shooting with the LX100 due to the manual controls, and the GM5 is handy when you absolutely must have smallest and lightest weight. But the GX7 is my top pick for feel in the hand, useability, ergonomics, features, and IQ. Pany is on an incredibly strong roll these days and I'm loving it.

Fantastic camera... I'm confident that you will like your new GX7!

• Like Like x 2