I asked in the native lens forum about a wide angle lens with a FOV wider than 28mm

Real Name
Joseph T Murphy IV
Dear Board,

The other day I asked about a lens for landscapes and scenic shots with a wider field of view than 28mm. I received several answers and I have some native lenses to consider.

But then I remembered I had a Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 in Canon EOS mount and decided to attach it to the Viltrox EF to M4/3 0.71 adapter I have and see what happened?

Please don't judge the results, as they are SOOC, and PLEASE ignore the clutter. For comparison I shot the Sigma @ 20mm and I shot an Olympus 14-42 at 14mm.

I think I have a usable lens for my intended purposes?

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg, PA :)

Attachments

3dpan

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alec
Dear Board,

The other day I asked about a lens for landscapes and scenic shots with a wider field of view than 28mm. I received several answers and I have some native lenses to consider.

But then I remembered I had a Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 in Canon EOS mount and decided to attach it to the Viltrox EF to M4/3 0.71 adapter I have and see what happened?

Please don't judge the results, as they are SOOC, and PLEASE ignore the clutter. For comparison I shot the Sigma @ 20mm and I shot an Olympus 14-42 at 14mm.

I think I have a usable lens for my intended purposes?

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Which pic is which lens ?
0036 may have better contrast, but hard to be certain.

Real Name
Joseph T Murphy IV
Dear 3dpan,

Sorry, the first picture on the left is the Sigma and the second on the right is the Olympus 14-42. I will try to post better samples over the weekend assuming the sun comes out and I can go outside!

Regards,

Tim Murphy

3dpan

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alec
Dear 3dpan,

Sorry, the first picture on the left is the Sigma and the second on the right is the Olympus 14-42. I will try to post better samples over the weekend assuming the sun comes out and I can go outside!

Regards,

Tim Murphy

If I'm reading the lens reviews from OpticalLimits correctly, the Olympus 14-42mm is considerably sharper than the Sigma 10-20mm.

bargainguy

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Don
Using adapted lenses to get a 24mm FOV equivalent? Sure, you can do it. Is it optimal? Depends.

I'm of the belief that simplest is best. I think your best shot at IQ is a good prime designed for MFT, like the 12/2 Olympus mentioned in the other thread, rather than lenses that were designed for other formats and then adapted.

If you really wanted to play with UWA on a native zoom lens, I'd recommend the 7-14 Panny over the 8-18 (Panny or Oly) as a cheaper way to explore those focal lengths. It's smaller and lighter, and most folks don't need brighter than f/4 for landscape work.

If MF is not a problem, you might want to look at the various Venus / Laowa primes: 7.5mm, 9mm, and the upcoming 10mm.

Real Name
Joseph T Murphy IV
Using adapted lenses to get a 24mm FOV equivalent? Sure, you can do it. Is it optimal? Depends.

I'm of the belief that simplest is best. I think your best shot at IQ is a good prime designed for MFT, like the 12/2 Olympus mentioned in the other thread, rather than lenses that were designed for other formats and then adapted.

If you really wanted to play with UWA on a native zoom lens, I'd recommend the 7-14 Panny over the 8-18 (Panny or Oly) as a cheaper way to explore those focal lengths. It's smaller and lighter, and most folks don't need brighter than f/4 for landscape work.

If MF is not a problem, you might want to look at the various Venus / Laowa primes: 7.5mm, 9mm, and the upcoming 10mm.
Dear bargainguy,

After playing around some more today you are right, and a native lens is definitely the best solution.

I want 24mm and don't really need to get wider than that. I suspect I'll just be patient and buy an Olympus 12-50mm or the Panasonic 12-60 f3.5/5.6. I really don't need f2.8, and the idea of a bit more range is appealing to me.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Real Name
Walter
After playing around some more today you are right, and a native lens is definitely the best solution.

I want 24mm and don't really need to get wider than that. I suspect I'll just be patient and buy an Olympus 12-50mm or the Panasonic 12-60 f3.5/5.6. I really don't need f2.8, and the idea of a bit more range is appealing to me.
You could consider the Pana 12-32 f4-5.6 too, especially if you'd like a pancake lens. One caveat is that it doesn't have manual focus. But, there are plenty to choose from in the wide to ultra-wide area. I have an Olympus M.Zuiko 9-18 and like it as a supplement to my Oly 12-100 f4 Pro.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom