I am underexposing everything with my EPM1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by yamark, May 27, 2012.

1. yamark

yamark Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    The pictures look pretty good to me on the display, but when I get them on a computer, they are dark.

What do i have set wrong in my camera?
  2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Can you post some samples please ?

What mode did you use (Auto, Manual, Shutter or Aperture Priority or Program Mode) ?

Any difference if you shoot in Auto ?

How about the lens ?
  3. yamark

yamark Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Manual mode.

Here's what I think the problem is, but not sure.

Does the camera light meter with an average light from the frame? Is there a way to change this so I can pick where it meters?
  4. yamark

yamark Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Yep, that's definitely the problem. In auto mode, they are underexposed as well. It's compensating for a bright background making my subject look dark.

I am doing still life's in a light tent. I believe my camera is metering for an average.
  5. creezalird

creezalird Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2011
    it is the camera display that is not calibrated to show real color and brightness captured. in my case with e-p3 is the same, i need to adjust the camera display brightness to the lowest to get as close as possible with captured scene

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2
  6. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    My first thought was, is your computer screen calibrated?
  7. yamark

yamark Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    i believe my monitor is calibrated.
  8. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    What does the histogram look like?
    • Like Like x 1
  9. yamark

yamark Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Testing out different metering modes has solved my problem. It was metering with the bright white background leaving my object underexposed. It even works in auto now.
  10. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    Exactly. In a light tent it was exposing as well as it could, buy you just want spot metering.

I've been doing shots like this as well. If you're using flashguns as well (even without actually) you may want to figure out what exposure you're getting best results with, then shoot in M and do minute adjustments. Like that you can better control the exposure of your background as well.
  11. Mookalafalas

Mookalafalas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 22, 2012
    Tainan, Taiwan
    Have you used all the metering modes? If it's really consistently overexposed, you could just dial the exposure compensation down a couple of notches and leave it there (the top "button" function on the back wheel).
    For me, the metering has been really impressive, unlike my Canon 5D3, which almost always needs exposure compensation.